Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best to avoid selling coins on Ebay during the Winter months.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Outside of the fact that November and December sales are not final until the end of January, I found a recent hit to my seller rating due to bad weather.

Shipped a coin to New Jersey late January and the weather delayed it significantly. Buyer opened an item not received claim 8 days after the sale.

Coin made it there, buyer closed claim and left very positive feedback.

Not good enough for the fine folks at Ebay though and the claim is noted as a seller defect when considering my discount.

Use care going forward on Ebay, the hoops and bars are getting a bit too narrow and high to navigate.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. I agree.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all the negatives posted on this forum regarding eBay, one would think this company is nearly out of business. The company reported earnings this week and in fact they are doing quite well. While there are always threats and hyperbolic statements from sellers on this forum, the fact remains that there are few other options which serve as an outlet for rare coins and other items in general at any and all price points. Great Collections is an outstanding emerging auction house but they have no where near the number of eyeballs viewing their site as does eBay.

Do I appreciate their policy as a seller? No. I appreciate that they can piss me off and I will invariably come back as I have a need that they fulfill. They are driving their sellers to stretch to satisfy buyers. It isn't perfect, but the business model is working.
  • Options
    The nice lady at Ebay was sympathetic, but I got the usual "nothing that we can do". I pointed out the mid 7 figure business that we had done in the last decade and noted that we are now down to a drizzle.

She didn't seem to care..........
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    feepay has too many sellers getting a 20% discount - way more than they figured. They aim to reduce that number to increase their take. The machinations they are going through to get their numbers up are comical.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It isn't perfect, but the business model is working. >>

Is it really when they are paying some people to bid on the site because sellers are not listing auctions and only listing fixed price? Because no one bids anymore and just sets a snipe.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    the new rules will make it very very tough to get the discount , nearly impossible in fact.

It is what it is a little higher prices too absorb the cost is my reaction. The new rules are far too strong for sellers.

Great for buyers though there will be a lot less listings in many category's.
  • Options

<< <i>Great for buyers though there will be a lot less listings in many category's.[/ >>

Very good point. I was a heavy buyer on Ebay as well. Not that an occasional deal cannot be picked up, but the majority of listings are overpriced retreads. Some of them are mine. image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the OP's single experience we are advised to suspend all selling of coins in the winter months?

peacockcoins

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I just sold a $750 item and the costs between ebay, paypal and shipping were over $130.00.

Pretty hard to make a profit that way.

I just turned down another deal for the same money because of it.
  • Options

<< <i>Based on the OP's single experience we are advised to suspend all selling of coins in the winter months? >>

I would hope that you have the knowledge and experience to decide for yourself.
  • Options

<< <i>

Is it really when they are paying some people to bid on the site because sellers are not listing auctions and only listing fixed price? Because no one bids anymore and just sets a snipe. >>

From the conference call: "We enabled $58 billion of commerce volume in the first quarter, up 24%", "Overall, revenue was up 14% in Q1". For those familiar with the company, ex. Paypal "At eBay Marketplaces revenues was up 9% and global GMV grew 11%"

Something is working but things can always work better. eBay doesn't revolve around rare coins.
  • Options
    Thread title, "Best to avoid selling coins on Ebay during the Winter months."

I will discount this advice yet take your personal advice later in the thread, to me.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Based on the OP's single experience we are advised to suspend all selling of coins in the winter months? >>

I would hope that you have the knowledge and experience to decide for yourself. >>

If Pat wants to list some delicious coins in early November so I will able to return them through the end of January after I've shopped them around at Baltimore, Detroit, Houston, and Orlando, I say he should go for it. imageimage
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>She didn't seem to care.......... >>

Probably because you aren't selling underwear or lawn khoum's.image
  • Options

<< <i>Thread title, "Best to avoid selling coins on Ebay during the Winter months."

I will discount this advice yet take your personal advice later in the thread, to me. >>

Discounts are always appreciated. image
  • Options

<< <i>From the conference call: "We enabled $58 billion of commerce volume in the first quarter, up 24%", "Overall, revenue was up 14% in Q1". For those familiar with the company, ex. Paypal "At eBay Marketplaces revenues was up 9% and global GMV grew 11%" >>

<< <i>Something is working but things can always work better. eBay doesn't revolve around rare coins. >>

I don't disagree. If I were selling old books or pocket watches, things might still be hunky dory. Professionally graded rare coins though, not good.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would hope that you have the knowledge and experience to decide for yourself. >>

If Pat wants to list some delicious coins in early November so I will able to return them through the end of January after I've shopped them around at Baltimore, Detroit, Houston, and Orlando, I say he should go for it. imageimage >>

I agree with you and made this point in another thread. I guess I will just have to go through all my listings and raise the prices to offset the loss of being a TRS. Will mean less sales but geeze...No way I am going to front my coins to a sleezy ebayer to try and sell for 2-3 months elsewhere. I will probably also go back to a 7 day return for this period which is more than reasonable in the coin business!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As alluded to in the past thread

Dial-a-clue

If at first you don't succeed, dial, dial again.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>I will just have to go through all my listings and raise the prices to offset the loss of being a TRS. Will mean less sales but geeze...No way I am going to front my coins to a sleezy ebayer to try and sell for 2-3 months elsewhere. >>

Good thinking. probably won't sell much but if you have to give Neiman-Marcus service, you may as well make keystone margins.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    eBay shares got a haircut today. I see more bad times in the coming months.
  • Options

<< <i>eBay shares got a haircut today. I see more bad times in the coming months. >>

And do you know why....?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't say I agree. Try shipping to a town that got wiped out by a tornado.....I finally got the package back
    but also got a neg (ebay removed it but it was a hassle). It was a small Kansas town a few years ago. Only
    claim to fame they had was it was supposed to be the best pheasant hunting.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For all the negatives posted on this forum regarding eBay, one would think this company is nearly out of business. The company reported earnings this week and in fact they are doing quite well. While there are always threats and hyperbolic statements from sellers on this forum, the fact remains that there are few other options which serve as an outlet for rare coins and other items in general at any and all price points. Great Collections is an outstanding emerging auction house but they have no where near the number of eyeballs viewing their site as does eBay.

Do I appreciate their policy as a seller? No. I appreciate that they can piss me off and I will invariably come back as I have a need that they fulfill. They are driving their sellers to stretch to satisfy buyers. It isn't perfect, but the business model is working. >>

As an EBay stockholder - thanks. By the way I would suggest to anyone frustrated with EBay and its policies to stake a claim in ownership, it provides a whole new perspective.image
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is it really when they are paying some people to bid on the site because sellers are not listing auctions and only listing fixed price? Because no one bids anymore and just sets a snipe. >>

From the conference call: "We enabled $58 billion of commerce volume in the first quarter, up 24%", "Overall, revenue was up 14% in Q1". For those familiar with the company, ex. Paypal "At eBay Marketplaces revenues was up 9% and global GMV grew 11%"

Something is working but things can always work better. eBay doesn't revolve around rare coins. >>

In the conference call did they address the debate about separating out PayPal? Looks like a threat to the status quo is looming based on the solicitations I am getting.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market is open 24/7/366 on Leap Year
  • Options

<< <i>In the conference call did they address the debate about separating out PayPal? Looks like a threat to the status quo is looming based on the solicitations I am getting. >>

Yes they did in the upfront commentary... The most interesting bit of news from a shareholder perspective is that they made a significant cash repatriation ($9B) which resulted in a big ($3B) tax charge to move profits back from overseas. This is in advance of potential acquisitions or perhaps to shore up their free cash position in advance of the anticipated Q4 rare coin doldrums.
  • Options

<< <i>By the way I would suggest to anyone frustrated with EBay and its policies to stake a claim in ownership, it provides a whole new perspective. >>

If I were still doing $50K+ each month, and kowtowing to the higher fees, that would probably be a good idea.

Seems that the forum interest on the site as buyers and sellers has been on a continued decline for several year. Of course rare coins is small percentage of Ebay's action. I guess the merchants of other goods are still doing well. It is easier to swallow a 6% fee on a $50 old book that a $3000 Double Liberty, at least if the margin is there.
  • Options
    hi, vacuous ebay CSR ?

I've got a concern.... I am shipping gold and silver coins through the mail because FedEx and UPS only insures up $500 on coins. So, I use registered mail. But I'm afraid of an "not arrived yet" strike because of the Post Office taking a long tme with Registered Mail.... the only safe way to ship gold and silver coins. How does ebay protect me if the PO takes a long time to deliver? (what if it sts someplace for days...)

let them regurgitate a script.

Try to get them to reassure you that if the product arrives that you won't get dinged for the PO being slow. (again what if it sits someplace for days....)

After you get some reassurance, mention that it has already happened and you want the one ding removed.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>I don't buy stocks unless they pay me a share of profits... what's the point in owning a company if they never pay you for investing with them? No dividend? Sorry, not interested. I DRIP everything. >>

growth stocks need cash flow for growth and not dividends. Expecting a dividend in such a situation is growth constraining.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't buy stocks unless they pay me a share of profits... what's the point in owning a company if they never pay you for investing with them? No dividend? Sorry, not interested. I DRIP everything. >>

growth stocks need cash flow for growth and not dividends. Expecting a dividend in such a situation is growth constraining. >>

Stop with the logic
  • Options

<< <i>After that mention that it has already happened and you want the one ding removed. >>

They don't care, at least on the customer service side. Not too many years ago, high volume sellers had specific reps assigned that could weed out the stupid stuff. Fortunately working now is an option for me and not a necessity. image
  • Options

<< <i>

growth stocks need cash flow for growth and not dividends. Expecting a dividend in such a situation is growth constraining. >>

No way should one thin dime on the $30,000,000,000 in claimed profits be returned to any investor in the company. Nope, never!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

eBay is a behemoth and a titan of their industry. While they still have room for growth, you could easily argue the business is maturing and that it is time to start returning some of the generated profits back to shareholders. With their free cash flow, they can afford to pay a small dividend. Doesn't have to be much, even if it was only, say 12.5 cents a quarter, that would amount to 50 cents a year... with EPS at over $2 a year, that's only a 25% payout rate, easily sustainable provided they don't run the company into the ground. >>

They just repatriated $9b in foreign cash at a significant tax impact. They certainly disagree with your view.
  • Options
    Can't imagine an individual investing in say a friends restaurant, and after 15 years of great financial success, not getter anything in return.

As they say....it is different this time!
  • Options

<< <i> I think eBay is well into the point where they should be paying out a share of profits. >>

Assuming of course that the money is really there.

Those ex-items can be quite problematic. image
  • Options

<< <i>The nice lady at Ebay was sympathetic, but I got the usual "nothing that we can do". I pointed out the mid 7 figure business that we had done in the last decade and noted that we are now down to a drizzle.

She didn't seem to care.......... >>

The other day at work, I had to deal with a pain in the arse customer. Afterwards, I went in to complain to my boss about how I am tired of dealing with these types of customers. I pointed out to her that I have been a loyal employee to the customer for 16 years ( really just haven't received a better offer, but im calling it loyal ), and the fact that I pretty much never miss a day of work, and I really do mean never. I reminded her that I have easily brought mid 7 figures sales into the company during those years ( actually mid 8 or 9 figures ).

He didn't seem to care. His attitude was almost like -- This is your job, you get paid for this job, sometimes you have to deal with pain in the arse customers, too freaking bad because they are in effect the ones paying you.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ? Where does he get off treating me like this. He should be licking my shoes. Anyways, I just wanted to get that off my back.
  • Options
    ^
    Don't allow other people's poor behavior to dictate your own.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The nice lady at Ebay was sympathetic, but I got the usual "nothing that we can do". I pointed out the mid 7 figure business that we had done in the last decade and noted that we are now down to a drizzle.

She didn't seem to care.......... >>

The other day at work, I had to deal with a pain in the arse customer. Afterwards, I went in to complain to my boss about how I am tired of dealing with these types of customers. I pointed out to her that I have been a loyal employee to the customer for 16 years ( really just haven't received a better offer, but im calling it loyal ), and the fact that I pretty much never miss a day of work, and I really do mean never. I reminded her that I have easily brought mid 7 figures sales into the company during those years ( actually mid 8 or 9 figures ).

He didn't seem to care. His attitude was almost like -- This is your job, you get paid for this job, sometimes you have to deal with pain in the arse customers, too freaking bad because they are in effect the ones paying you.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ? Where does he get off treating me like this. He should be licking my shoes. Anyways, I just wanted to get that off my back. >>

I hope that this is sarcasm and you are actually not that complacent.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you invested $10,000 in your friend's restaurant 15 years ago, and he paid you nothing for the 15 years, but today, he said, I will buy you out, and gave you $300,000, you would be sad?

Ebay stock over 15 years.

I bought into ebay 13 years ago when I started selling on it. Only bought 200 (adjusted) shares. Should have bought more.
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    Best to avoid selling on EBay period!!
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options

<< <i>So if you invested $10,000 in your friend's restaurant 15 years ago, and he paid you nothing for the 15 years, but today, he said, I will buy you out, and gave you $300,000, you would be sad? >>

I would be pleased, but what if he had 10 great years and then the economy and the restaurant tanked. I would have nothing from the prosperous years.

In the 1960's, General Motors and K-Mart (Kresge corp was the handle then) had blockbuster growth and profit.

Had you purchased stock in each, you would have seen significant paper gains. You would also have received significant dividend payments.

40 years later both went belly up....bankrupt. Shareholders in each company received nothing for their stock. Had they not gotten dividends for most of the previous years, all of the good year would have been meaningless to them.

Remember too that Ebay is a 19 year old company, not a 5 year old Twitter or Facebook.

A modest dividend payment would boost investor confidence that the profit numbers are genuine and if experience is a guide, the stock would pop on the announcement.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file