Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT: 75th Anniversary 1939 NYWF April 31st Free Print Inside for ALL

Hi All,

Very OT - please indulge. It is a "Giveaway" that EVERYONE can "win: image
Many of you know of HK-uh...the 1939 NYWF So-Called Dollar. Well - April 31st marks the 75th anniversary of the opening of the 1939 NYWF in Queens, New York. It was a huge afFair, 1,216 1/2 acres, over 375 main structures spread out over seven zones and more than you could see in a week. The 1964 Fair was 664 acres - this was...1,216! TV, X-Rays, du Pont nylon, fiberglass, air-conditioning, Celotex, Tektolite, glass front dishwashers, on and on. Color film! Kodachrome home movies...the Westinghouse Time Capsule... coin related - the statue of Washington at this Fair (this was the 150th anniversary of his inauguration) was by the same man who did the Buff 5C image You could see Frank Gallands 50 penny crushing stands...and we all have one of those...there were exhibits by W.D. Teague, Norman Bel Geddes, Ray Loewy, Henry Dreyfus, and so on...and on...

Perspective: More folks than the total current populations of Spain and North Korea managed to get to New York for this event and its sequel! I have researched, written, edited, lectures, collected for 25 years - thousands of photographs, hundreds of color slides, all manner of memorabilia culminating with parts of the GM Futurama (bullet car by Bel Geddes) and a section of a '39 building which was displayed in Washington DC a few years ago with my restored images. That display was dedicated to my father, A.A. Longo (1936-1995). My dad always wanted me to have a car - well, I do now - it is elephant-ear grey plastic, 3" long and designed by a genius. No gas, and one q-tip of armor-all with last a lifetime.
For this auspicious anniversary, I prepared a special poster from an item once in my stock that now has a home in a well-regarded Hollywood collection I have been adding to for many years. From the July 1938 U.S. Steel magazine.

From both of us - Eric & Trey - to whoever would like to print it - Happy Anniversary!
18"x24" max print with cream border, matte paper, watercolor-texture suggested.
That is the Trylon and Perisphere, these structure for this fair "Building the World of Tomorrow***" - 610' and 180' respectively. See my icon image.

*** - note all things displayed were essentially in use already - the TV, the dishwasher, the X-Ray, nylons...the beauty of this Fair was it was around you already this wonderful future (once you looked past some of its eugenics ideas). See "Greenbelt Maryland"

OK - clearly, that was the largest thing ever posted here by far. Sorry. Note to self - do not post 16MB 24" tall pics. Lets try this again:
http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf39/images/anniversary-poster.jpg

Link to full file for download thanks Bill Cotter!

Best wishes & ENJOY!!!
Eric

Plug for Bill Cotters book from Arcadia Press, one of the "little sepia" local history books - the 1939/40 New York World's Fair. Yes, there is 64/65 version as well. image
Little known fact - We tried like HECK for Nazi participation, even sending Whalen to Germany, but no dice. The flagpoles in the park now, said to be "leftover from the Nazi pavilion" in the Queens Museum tour, are actually ribbon steel sculptures by Robert Foster, who work adorned the Ford Pavilion, The Hall of Special events and more in 1939/40.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free to print?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Free to print? >>

Yes, it is 75 years now (Fair Use), scanned and restored by me from my original - it is a gift - print away image
    Suggest 10.5 inches in height to match the Fair posters by Albert Staehle and Joseph Binder (got those in original form image )
    For those interested in my color work, good samples can be seen in Aquitania: The Ship Beautiful by Mark Chirnside. I was the first to color correct those. Other samples - Designing Tomorrow: America's Fairs of the 1930's by the National Building Museum - I provided all the color 1939 NY images.

ENJOY!
    Eric
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool! Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome image!
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Glad you liked it! image

Eric
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Eric, this was very cool...
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi All,

Very OT - please indulge. It is a "Giveaway" that EVERYONE can "win: image
    Many of you know of HK-uh...the 1939 NYWF So-Called Dollar. Well - April 31st marks the 75th anniversary of the opening of the 1939 NYWF in Queens, New York. >>

April 31st?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    April 31st caught my eye as well.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice poster..... thanks... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Sorry - Fair closed Oct 31st, date-swap in my mind. Glad you enjoyed! image
    Maybe some of you caught th show - it was the Henry Ford, The MCNY - many venues around the country.

Eric

Note: At least today is the 30th image
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attractive poster! I always enjoy your history posts.
  • Options

<< <i>Attractive poster! I always enjoy your history posts. >>

Thanks! I am sure you are aware of all the Nasa/rocket stuff displayed at the 1964/65 Fair?
    One could also pick up on an irradiated dime in '64 and they must pass through here from time to time.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Month old thread,

but I finally got one printed that was 24" tall. Great print even at that height.

I also printed at 10.5" height, too.

I recommend the cream, matte paper as suggested.

thanks magikbilly!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Ohh! I am so very happy you liked it image

ENJOY!

Eric
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    I believe you are the fist to report printing results apart from my own tests - so thank you. There has been a lot of 1964 50th anniversary stuff but this huge anniversary almost seem to be overlooked. 1964 - 600 odd acres. 1939 - 1,216.5 acres. Imagine 375 substantial buildings to choose from.

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file