Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will it sell? Not mine; 2009-D DC DDR Ellington quarter

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For $4,000?

I can think of, oh I don't know, a gazillion coins I'd rather have for that price.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure what price it should sell for, but for me, anything more than a few dollars is too much.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People can ask what they want, but it is about a hundred years early to call that rare (OK, maybe a decade). I'm guessing that most of these quarters have never been checked for the error.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting modern quarter.... might pay five bucks for it.... Or just look for one in change. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd bet someone has a few rolls of these in hiding.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in it at 25 cents. (Not a joke)
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting modern quarter.... might pay five bucks for it.... Or just look for one in change. Cheers, RickO >>

If these forums existed in 1956 regarding the 1955 doubled die. . .

"Interesting modern cent.... might pay 5c for it... Or just look for one in change. Cheers,_______"

I am certainly not stating this quarter has legs (for evidence, look no further than the 1989 "No P" hyped up 25c), but all errors and varieties started out somewhere. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an incredible spread , as errors go. Maybe if we were living in the roaring twenties like Ellington, it would be a no brainer. If I had enough disposable income… well, I still wouldn't step up to the plate, maybe… maybe not. I like it, not the price.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @braddick....

<< <i>If these forums existed in 1956 regarding the 1955 doubled die. . . >>

In 1956 I had two 1955DDO's.... and while they were not commanding the premiums they do today, I found them interesting. Had them until I joined the Navy in 1959.... sometime after that my Mother cleaned out my stuff and likely bought groceries with the coins.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Daniel Carr had designed a District of Columbia quarter for the old East German government and a die had been doubled this strongly, would it be the DC/DC/DDR/DDR quarter?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    It won't sell. It's been listed many times before and no takers.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe its just an advertisement listing . I do those now and then , I don't expect them to sell but they generate messages which can lead to sales.image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting modern quarter.... might pay five bucks for it.... Or just look for one in change. Cheers, RickO >>

Go for it Ricko!

But I think you'll have to look through a LOT of quarters.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to find I was looking for D rolls in 2009 and could not get any. Went to at least twenty different banks all over western Washington and could not find them. Still feel it will not sell at that level as it is not a popular series anymore and it's in the wrong plastic. And yes the variety was known then.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Daniel Carr had designed a District of Columbia quarter for the old East German government and a die had been doubled this strongly, would it be the DC/DC/DDR/DDR quarter?

image >>

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I would rather take the A train.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I think one sold several years ago for $2K. I thought they were being discovered in the Midwest (Texas). I was tempted to buy an entire box of 2009 rolls to search from OK a few years ago on ebay, but these are not even being offered anymore. I don't think many have been discovered.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very cool doubled die, especially in modern era using "single squeeze." It shows one hell of a spread. It is one of the few 21st century ddo's that is naked eye visible. There are also very few reported.
    That being said, every single person who has tried to sell one (since the first one on ebay years ago sold for $2k) is asking moon money. They never sell, as it's probably always priced 3X what a reasonable asking price would be. Since quarters are probably only slightly more popular than Roosevelt dimes, stagnant ebay listings probably don't bode well for promoting this one. Probably worth $1,000-$1250 in MS64 to the right buyer, in the right venue.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭

The price is getting better.
    Again, not mine.

2009-D DDR Quarter
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I would buy that for 750$, 1k in a PCGS holder and I don't even collect quarters, moderns or copper coins. There is some long term value there but I doubt they will ever be mainstream. The single squeeze Double dies just aren't very impressive. IMO varieties live and die by their visual pop and none of them have the "it" factor.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these ridiculous selling prices is an indication of many ebay sellers these days, especially since the advent of free listings-trolling for suckers until one is hooked, even if it takes years to hook one. It's not good enough anymore to make a fair profit on an item.
  • Options

Add another week at the same price.

Until one (or a few?) of these sell publicly there is no way to tell value.
    Only guide they are listed in is CP Guide but with no value.
    Once a few sell and they are listed in the Redbook, Coin Prices, NN Prices etc. things should change.

They are needed for a few of the PCGS Set Registry sets so there will be demand.

In my opinion seller might have to lower his start price a few more times.
    He tried to sell this coin a couple years ago with no success.
    Sounds odd but this variety is just TOO RARE!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price dropped $500. Now $3,500.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Price dropped $500. Now $3,500.

bobimage >>

I think it will drop even further since the public "interest" in this coin, regardless of it's rarity and regardless of it's spread, fell off about 6 months after its discovery.

You see, the key is "Public Interest". People have to want it in order to sell it for big bucks and quite frankly, a low MS graded or even appearing 3 legged Buffalo will sell a lot quicker at that price than this quarter will. Just because folks "want" it.

Throw the ANACS slab into the mix and this DDR will be a tough sell.

Just sayin'
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not going to get much exposure
    in the "Collections/Lots" section of Ebay.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think these ridiculous selling prices is an indication of many ebay sellers these days, especially since the advent of free listings-trolling for suckers until one is hooked.... >>

I think you mean ridiculous asking prices, but yeah, you're right.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Doubt it will ever get the fame of the 1955 cent (since it was mentioned) but that is QUITE the error. Very evident, not like some of them with slight doubling, small clashing, etc.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $4,000 for that. no thanks. ill spend it else where
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes-I meant asking prices.
  • Options
    The PCGS price guide has the coin in 64 at $50, $250 in 66. Talk about getting no respect!
  • Options
    i would be willing to pick it up for 10 bucks as a future prospect lol !!
    Successful Sales on this forum to:erickso1
  • Options
    First off I would have never used that grading company and secondly I would have sold it within a years time after.
    Very interesting coin and remember seeing that back in 2009 when it was first reported.

$50 and a larger order of fries ok!
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.
  • Options

Now at $3000.

I think seller is getting serious about selling.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone stepped up and took it for around $2000.

2009-D DDR Ellington Quarter
  • Options

• Options

Someone has bid.

2009-D DDR Quarter

I wonder how many must sell before the price guides list the coin with a value?

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Wow, we'll played seller. He went fishing and got a bite. That said I am not so sure it won't turn out well for the buyer too. That error is really the king of the statehood quarter not to mention modern die varieties. It won't take much to make it more popular.
  • Options

First public sale of this variety.

Owner should contact CPG, NN, Redbook, PCGS etc. if they are interested about selling the coin at a profit someday.

Have a good day!

• Options

And now for sale again by new owner?

• Options
    What am I missing here with the bidder? The bid activity with this seller is 100%, are they trying to make a market?

Bidder Information
    Bidder: n***n ( 161Feedback score is 100 to 499)
    Item description: Item Title: 2009 D ANACS 64 DOUBLED DIE REVERSE WDDR-001 "THE BIG ONE FOR THE YEAR" RARE!!!!
    Bids on this item: 1

30-Day Summary
    Total bids: 1
    Items bid on: 1
    Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help
    Bid retractions: 0
    Bid retractions (6 months): 0
  • Options

<< <i>And now for sale again by new owner?

2009-D DDR Ellington Quarter >>

Fishin for a fool again!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Do the seller and buyer of this coin know each other and they are the ones trying to make a market for this coin.
  • Options
    That is my thought also, that is why I posted the bid history. Building a market where none exist is the American way...
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly was a shock to the system to see it sold for so much, so I am not surprised by this latest revelation of a possible "shill."
    And now he wants double.
    C'mon!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If Daniel Carr had designed a District of Columbia quarter for the old East German government and a die had been doubled this strongly, would it be the DC/DC/DDR/DDR quarter?

image >>

. >>

imageimageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

This one is a bargain now:

• Options

<< <i>This one is a bargain now:

image >>

This is a fairly serious obsession you've got going here.................

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Yes, I'm afraid you are correct. image
  • Options
    Not sure if many saw the top pop ms66 that sold for 3k on HA earlier this month. Took a lot of guts to do it unreserved! This puts the market for this coin into perspective. I'd value a ANACS 64 at maybe 1k. Maybe.....
  • Options

I did miss that information.

Thanks MC Man!
  • Options
    Seems pretty late in the game (2009) to be selling that. Should have dumped it before 2010 ended.
    They could always call the home shopping network to cut a deal!
    imageimage
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file