Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1892 Columbian Half with counterstamped B - Mar 18

Can anyone share any information on this piece? I showed this to one other person at the show I picked it up at, and he was pretty sure he had the same thing.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe anything like this was purposely minted so I say just graffiti.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a counterstamp. It looks engraved. Got yerself a love token there, and a pretty neat one.

Then again, if somebody else had the same thing, that kind of blows my love token theory outta the water, though I still think that looks more engraved than counterstamped.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the years working at Harlan Berk's we got in two other Columbian halves with dates engraved on them, but I was never able to match up any historical event with either date.

On this one, I found this:

link

On March 18, 1893, the axle of the giant Ferris Wheel arrived in Chicago. It was cast by Bethlehem steel. Is there any connection? Who can say.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Over the years working at Harlan Berk's we got in two other Columbian halves with dates engraved on them, but I was never able to match up any historical event with either date.

On this one, I found this:

link

On March 18, 1893, the axle of the giant Ferris Wheel arrived in Chicago. It was cast by Bethlehem steel. Is there any connection? Who can say.

TD >>

1917-1918 Bethlehem Steel Football Club

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone share any information on this piece? I showed this to one other person at the show I picked it up at, and he was pretty sure he had the same thing.
    Thanks! >>

My guess is that it is a homemade piece to commemorate someone's birth (the "B") on March 18, which happened to be in 1892. Sort of like a love token. Not uncommon, but over the years (especially in the late 70s, early 80s, a lot of these pieces were considered garbage and melted. As such, you do not see them as often.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can anyone share any information on this piece? I showed this to one other person at the show I picked it up at, and he was pretty sure he had the same thing.
    Thanks! >>

My guess is that it is a homemade piece to commemorate someone's birth (the "B") on March 18, which happened to be in 1892. Sort of like a love token. Not uncommon, but over the years (especially in the late 70s, early 80s, a lot of these pieces were considered garbage and melted. As such, you do not see them as often. >>

This was exactly my thought, though if somebody else indeed has an identical piece, it throws a little water on the "birthyear love token" theory.

Absent that identical piece to prove it, though, a birthyear love token is the theory I'm stickin' to.

(Excellently creative ferris wheel axle and football club posts notwithstanding.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I respectfully question whether the person queried at the show did indeed have the "same thing."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree.... individual love token... birth year... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file