Home Precious Metals
Options

Redeeming Silver Certificates for silver bullion in the 1960's Pic Added

KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
Back in the mid 1960's was the last time you could redeem silver certificates for silver. I was a young boy at the time and my father took me into New York City and we waited on line to redeem for bullion. My father had a couple hundred silver certificates and he received a silver bar for them. The bar is approx. 7.5 pounds which equates too 120 ounces. The bar is a grayish color and I think it is 90% silver made from melted coins, but there is no markings on the bar. How can I verify the purity of the bar and is there any collectors value on the bar? Does anyone remember redeeming silver certificates back in the 1960's?

Thanks

Frank D.image

]image

Comments

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    in 1960 ,I was probably waiting for the milkman so I could get a chunk of ice on a hot summer day
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have one of the mint bars they are worth a decent chunk of change since not many people saved them. That time was a bit before my time, but my dad went to the bank and cashed out bills for rolled dimes, quarters and halves and held onto them.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New York Assay Office bars have markings / stamps on them usually weight, purity, and lot batch #

The purity is often high .999+
    Would you have a picture?

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics please, we need something to drool on today.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there writing on the bar in a black grease pen? If so, what does it say? That is how those bars were marked.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I'm on the road this week but will post a pic on Saturday. There is no stamping on the bar but there is some writing possibly with a grease pen but it is not really ledgeble. I will post later this week

Thanks for your help

Frank D.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall the activity, but in the early '60's I was in the Navy and later married, working and raising a family. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I'm on the road this week but will post a pic on Saturday. There is no stamping on the bar but there is some writing possibly with a grease pen but it is not really ledgeble. I will post later this week

Thanks for your help

Frank D. >>

Don't clean off the writing.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Picture Added see markings by a grease pen. Any help identifying what the numbers mean and if there is any collector value above the silver value would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frankimage
  • Options
    Possibly 103.24 troy ounces, which would come out to a little over 7 avdp. pounds?

Remember that a troy ounce is heavier than an avdp ounce.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    My old man turned in paper for silver also. He must not of know what silver bars really looked like. I inherited that bar only to find out it was just lead. Good thing in was only 10 oz or so.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?