Home Sports Talk

You cannot be serious, Donald Sterling.

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
Doc Rivers, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Jamal Crawford, DeAndre Jordan, Darren Collison, Matt Barnes, Danny Granger, Glen Davis, Jared Dudley, Reggie Bullock, Willie Green, and Ryan Hollins must be oh so proud to be a Clipper today.

I can't even type it.......it's that appalling.

Comments

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    And the Clippers are back to having no fans again...That was a good four year run.

And I'm sure that fossil is with his girlfriend for her wonderful personality...

Snoop Dogg/ Snoop Lion posted a video response on Instagram. Don't play it if you have young kids around.

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that anyone connected with the Clipper organization, regardless of skin color or ethnic background (including JJ Reddick, who is a very good player on the team who happens to be white) would be appalled and embarrassed about the statements and opinions of the team owner, Donald Sterling.

His history of being a businessman/real estate investor who is viewed with disdain and contempt goes back decades. He is known for being very biased/contemptuous against people who are not white (some would say he is a racist and I would not be surprised to see there is substantial evidence to support this point of view). Funny [sad, ironic, hypocritical, etc.] thing that his "girlfriend" is of mixed hispanic/black ancestry.

No doubt many will get all up in arms about Sterling's ugly comments, to the point where there are demands that he be punished through a loss of ownership of the Clippers. Any such demands are themselves ludicrous and abhorrent [I would not want to have society "progress" to the point where income and/or property is subject to being taken from the owner of same simply because of what the owners says (or thinks/believes)]. However, if Sterling makes comments such as those described in the TMZ report, it would be totally appropriate for him to suffer the consequences of declining attendance, league fines, player protests, loss of players and employees who can't stomach the idea of working for Sterling, media excoriation and being banned from his favorite restaurants, etc.
    People have brought up the loss of ownership consequence. Can the NBA do that?
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    baseball:

You bring up an interesting point, and that is what impact Donald Sterling's statements and conduct will have on the league and on the ownership of the other teams in the league. It may be that in the controlling documents that govern the rights and responsibilities of the individual teams to each other and to the league in general there is language/provisions that would give the league as a whole or other teams separately legal recourse against the Clippers and/or Donald Sterling. Separate and apart from any legal recourse that may arise from the language of these controlling documents, general legal principles may apply to give the league or individual teams legal recourse against the Clippers and/or Donald Sterling.

What is likely to happen is outcry from those who claim to be (and maybe are) offended by Sterling's comments demanding that Sterling have his property taken away from him simply because his statements are offensive and vile. To those who want this result, just wait until it happens to them and see if they simply and voluntarily surrender their income and property.

The above said, Sterling's comments are horrible and merely reinforce the negative view people have of him.

<< <i>I would think that anyone connected with the Clipper organization, regardless of skin color or ethnic background (including JJ Reddick, who is a very good player on the team who happens to be white) would be appalled and embarrassed about the statements and opinions of the team owner, Donald Sterling. >>

I concur. When I listed those names, I was thinking about the African-American players who are undoubtedly offended and outraged. But yeah, I'm sure the opinions of Redick and Hedo Turkoglu aren't far behind. I know mine are on par with, and I'm white and have absolutely nothing to do with the franchise.

Game 5 between LAC & GS (back in L.A.) should be an interesting scene this coming Tuesday.

Sterling will not walk away from this one unscathed.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wonder what Elgin Baylor thinks about all this.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He doesn't even make sense most of the time. Almost like he knows how vile his opinions are yet can't articulate them. He sounds like an idiot, frankly.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably will be a spike in the TV ratings for the next game. Everybody loves to rubberneck at a car wreck.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Funniest comments were from Charles Barkley about how Sterling should be suspended for racist remarks. Um, Charles? Don't you remember "I hate white people" when you were a player?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Did anyone see the ad in the LA Times today, UCLA kidney research I think? got a gift from Donald Sterling. I think they were going to name a center after him, lol. Talk about bad timing.

And the NAACP was going to give him a lifetime achievement award, lol.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Kinda sad this guy's whole career has to come down to secretly taped, private conversation in his own home. No point retracting or clarifying since now he is supposed to be Hitler, Bin Laden, Hussein and the Grand Wizard of the KKK all rolled into one now.... Very disagreeable words indeed, but imagine if every person of high position were being secretly taped. I'm sure everyone harbors feelings and/or opinions about something that are disagreeable to many....at least on some level.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    I know I've wondered for the longest time who really cares about the Clippers...well they're getting gobs of attention now but not in the right way.

While I doubt there's any legal way to "force" him out as an owner, surely he understands that things can never again be the same and for the good of the team and the league he does need to sell the team and step out.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the taxpayers that funded the Staples center are feeling kind of dumb today!

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I would hope it's not just people affiliated with the Clippers, African Americans or minorities... but instead ALL rationale thinking humans that are offended by this guy.

<< <i>Wonder if the taxpayers that funded the Staples center are feeling kind of dumb today! >>

Staples Center is one of the most profitable sports arenas in the world. Supposedly it is the most profitable arena in North America (the SAP Center in San Jose and the Bell Centre in Montreal are close behind: both those places were taxpayer funded also). The facilities are in use almost every single day. Even without the Clippers the Staples Center is highly profitable. Local businesses, the city and taxpayers have been getting great returns by funding that arena. Funding the construction of the Staples Center was probably one of the best decisions made by the city in recent memory.

The real truth is the Lakers and Kings are the true headline tenants of Staples Center. The Clippers have been and still are a secondary afterthought who until two seasons ago couldn't sell out their home games. Los Angeles will always be a Lakers first place while the Clippers are the ugly stepchild.
    Good article on Grantland for those interested.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Reading these posts, it appears that most either are concerned about the consequences of what will or won't happen to Donald Sterling. How about this for another perspective? Suppose you were a player for the Clippers, or worked in the front office, or worked in the concession stand, or parked cars, and you happened to be African American, would your feelings about working for the organization change? Or would you humbly tolerate it and go about your business?

<< <i>Reading these posts, it appears that most either are concerned about the consequences of what will or won't happen to Donald Sterling. How about this for another perspective? Suppose you were a player for the Clippers, or worked in the front office, or worked in the concession stand, or parked cars, and you happened to be African American, would your feelings about working for the organization change? Or would you humbly tolerate it and go about your business? >>

sadly, the majority of African-American front office workers, concession stand workers, car parkers AND players already knew exactly what they were getting into. there was no reason for any of them to be in denial as long as the paychecks were signed and the man who authorized it just went about his business. the same man who had already weathered multiple accusations and a multi-million dollar settlement.

these people would presumably continue to do their jobs, particularly the ones under contract, but further consideration would be warranted when those contracts come up for renewal.

to simplify, if you were an African-American free agent basketball professional, a Clipper or not, would you even give a moment of thought to being employed by that man? again? or ever?
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Itzagoner, with all due respect, I think you've avoided answering the question. I'm not asking for an outsider's perspective, I'm asking you to imagine if you were African American and happened to work for the Clippers. And for the sake of the argument, let's say you had heard rumors that your boss harbored negative feelings about your race, and were aware of the discrimination suits that were filed in his real estate business. Would you say that hearing the sentiments expressed with your own ears is different that hearing rumors? And once you've heard the negative feelings expressed about your race, could you honestly say that the conditions in your workplace would not be adversely affected?

<< <i>Itzagoner, with all due respect, I think you've avoided answering the question. I'm not asking for an outsider's perspective, I'm asking you to imagine if you were African American and happened to work for the Clippers. And for the sake of the argument, let's say you had heard rumors that your boss harbored negative feelings about your race, and were aware of the discrimination suits that were filed in his real estate business. Would you say that hearing the sentiments expressed with your own ears is different that hearing rumors? And once you've heard the negative feelings expressed about your race, could you honestly say that the conditions in your workplace would not be adversely affected? >>

you're right. i answered your questions with......more questions. image

so, no i don't think my feelings about the organization would change, because my commitment has already been made and it's my livelihood. i couldn't just walk away from feeding my family.

as for my working conditions, it's already common knowledge that my workplace is a whirlpool. ask any Clipper or club employee and my bet is they would have alluded to the very same thing.

to smooth this over as a matter of personal preference doesn't tell the whole story, though. what of the treatment of Elgin Baylor? or Baron Davis? (oops, questions again).......if it's MY workplace, i already know.

that's my point. these people, African-Americans and all knew that Sterling is a racist. his behavior predicated every accusation. ok, so here comes my next question: What Changed?

an organization that spews out news garbage at a dizzying pace threw a recording at the world and we all bit that chew.

the sentiments are firmly in place. they were being heard. no one wanted to rock an already leaky boat. it was still floating. until it might get punctured by a greedy whore.
    It's one thing to formulate an opion, even if it's based on the actions and innuendos of an individual, and quite another to have such sentiments made graphically public based on that individual's own words in actual conversation. Though the indignity should not really come as a complete surprise, such ignorant statements, when explicitly stated, if not terribly surprising, resonate quite loudly, if only to offer a glimpse at perceptions that are probably not as rare as we'd like to believe.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Well, like we always say:

If you've got a wife AND a girlfriend, it's just a matter of time before sh*t happens.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    itzagoner makes some good points above.

This guy has been a known quantity for a long time by everyone in the sport as far as his obvious racism; he's been the subject of lawsuits, etc. not just by Baylor but also for housing discrimination as a landlord, etc... so everyone's known he's basically a scumball in that regard.

So, all that said, what's with all the fauxrage now from everyone who's basically been looking the other way for years? The other owners knew it, coaches knew it, players knew it (and if they didn't, their agents and the union certainly did), yet they and the league still happily took his money and/or made money from his team all these years. So what's magically different now?

Plus, I feel constrained to point out that, abhorrent though it may be, as much as we may despise what was said... at the end of the day, this was a PRIVATE conversation with this "girlfriend" about posting pics to her Instagram account that shouldn't have been recorded in the first place, much less been made public. If I was Sterling (who is apparently a fan of litigation) I'd go after this 'girlfriend' and TMZ because you know some money had to have changed hands for that recording. The Constitution applies to everyone last I checked, even racist slimebags.

As to the NBA players, if they are truly offended and want to make a statement and show solidarity, why not hit the owners where they live-in the pocketbook? Go on strike and bring the playoffs to a halt until there's some resolution here. They gladly strike for more money; why not for suspension/sanctions for a racist owner? What's more important, the integrity of the sport or keeping those Benjamins flowing?

Never mind; I already know the answer.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    So the players should violate the CBA and go out on a wildcat strike and deprive their families of financial support (as well as the opportunity to compete for a championship) while Sterling should file a lawsuit and benefit financially from the publication of his ignorant and racist viewpoints? OK, gotcha.

<< <i>This guy has been a known quantity for a long time by everyone in the sport as far as his obvious racism; he's been the subject of lawsuits, etc. not just by Baylor but also for housing discrimination as a landlord, etc... so everyone's known he's basically a scumball in that regard.

So, all that said, what's with all the fauxrage now from everyone who's basically been looking the other way for years? The other owners knew it, coaches knew it, players knew it (and if they didn't, their agents and the union certainly did), yet they and the league still happily took his money and/or made money from his team all these years. So what's magically different now? >>

Culpability is involved where the NBA is concerned, no doubt. More specifically, previous commish David Stern. Not only were transgressions overlooked for decades, but the Clippers were single-handedly made relevant when Chris Paul ended up in the lap of the Donald after a trade to the Lakers was nixed. In other words, not only are we not going to punish you -- the worst owner in the league since Ted Stepien -- but we're going to line the hell out of your pockets instead.

Makes sense. Almost as much as him receiving a lifetime achievement award from the L.A. chapter of the NAACP.

<< <i>Makes sense. Almost as much as him receiving a lifetime achievement award from the L.A. chapter of the NAACP. >>

mmm hmmm. never will we see faster backpedaling. the real message will be sent by them if they return all of his hush money.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Banned for life and 2.5 million dollar fine......

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>So the players should violate the CBA and go out on a wildcat strike and deprive their families of financial support (as well as the opportunity to compete for a championship) while Sterling should file a lawsuit and benefit financially from the publication of his ignorant and racist viewpoints? OK, gotcha. >>

So you think that the Constitution should only apply to people you like? OK, gotcha.

It's not about him winning money. It's about a violation of someone's rights, slimy though he may be... and it's also about a slimy organization (namely TMZ) making money from all this controversy.

Don't get me wrong; I ABHOR Sterling, his attitude, and his comments- but let's be real here; the league and other owners have turned a blind eye to his proclivities and actions for years. Just one example: this guy has been the epitome of the term "slumlord" for decades, denying housing to or throwing out minority tenants he didn't like; where's all the rage about that? He's been on the record long ago referring to his players as his "boys" and his "property" and has made many racial remarks in the past, public and private... where was all the rage about that? Now, magically they care about racist statements made to his GF from an illegally recorded private convo? Please.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Silver just throat punched Sterling. Then he curb stomped him. Then he commenced with neutering him with hedge clippers.

Stunned but very much in agreement with Silver's decision. I'm sure this will end up in some sort of litigation, but I've got to believe that the NBA feels it is on very solid legal footing in all aspects of the punishment. Mark Cuban, while saying yesterday that forcing Sterling to sell is a very slippery slope, just tweeted a short time ago that he fully supports Silver's decision.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I predict Sterling will sue and the lawsuit will continue until he is dead!
    I can imagine that the NBA Commissioner (Mr. Silver) considered a wide range of topics in response to the Sterling comments posted on TMZ. The announcement by Silver of a lifetime ban of Sterling from all things NBA, a $2.5 million fine and seeking to have the NBA Board of governors act to seek to force a sale of the Clippers by Sterling was and is calculated.

In making the calculation that resulted in the above punishment I expect it came down to Silver (and other owners) choosing to go with the maximum penalty because:

1. Sterling is just one of 30 owners in the league and his ownership of one team does not give him enough power or leverage to prevail against the interests of the league and the other 29 owners;

2. Public relations and image and political correctness (and some would say morality/justice/fairness) require that Sterling be dumped and forced out of the "club" (the damage to the NBA, its product, its brand, and its financial empire that would result if Sterling were allowed to remain in the "club" would be possibly so large that it would irreparably damage the NBA);

3. Sterling is viewed by most as a "pariah" who deserves no sympathy or mercy (he has a bad reputation both personally and professionally);

4. Sterling is 81 years of age and will likely not be around much longer (he is already beyond the average lifespan of men in the USA and as he gets older he will slow down and eventually fade from public view and pass away, leaving the NBA and pro basketball to carry on with its march to global domination leaving Sterling as a footnote in its history); and

5. Sterling will likely not go quietly and will likely fight the NBA in its attempt to punish him and force him to sell the team. Sterling will litigate, but even though he has substantial resources, his pockets are not as deep and wide as the pockets of the NBA and the 29 other owners (the NBA will likely prefer to litigate with Sterling until the last appeal is exhausted than cut Sterling any slack and risk irreparable damage to the NBA).

I wonder is the woman who taped Sterling's comments and delivered them to TMZ is smiling right now, happy to know that she got back at Sterling (and his family) for doing her wrong.

With respect to a forced sale of the Clippers, it would be interesting to see if this can be accomplished and if so, how much the franchise would sell for. Upon its sale, Sterling will have a whopper of a Capital Gains Tax to pay. It has been reported that he purchased the Clipper team in 1980 or 1981 for about $11-12 million dollars. What has not been reported (and what I understand took place) is that Sterling did not actually pay $11-12 million to the seller. What he did was purchase the franchise and formally and contractually assume all of the debt the seller has racked up during his ownership of the Clippers. This assumed debt was about $10 million. After closing the purchase of the team, Sterling (drawing upon his experience as a lawyer that handled real estate, commercial and debt collection matters) was able to pay off the outstanding debts owed by the Clipper team as substantial discounts by negotiating with the creditors and getting them to take far less than 100 cents on the dollar in full satisfaction of the debts.

There is also an interesting story about the Beverly Hills office building that Sterling has his offices in. Sterling apparently struck a deal with a trust that owned (owns?) the building through which the trust (a trust connected to the Mayer family [of MGM fame, Samuel Goldwyn and Leon Mayer]) hired Sterling (or a Sterling company) to manage the building. Under the agreement Sterling effectively has control of the entire building. Litigation over the validity and continued enforceability of the agreement has taken place, with Sterling prevailing.

I wounder how Sterling will respond to what has happened. Will he be energized and start a legal battle against those aligned against him? Or will this take the wind out of his sails and cause him to weaken in body, mind and spirit?

I guess the rest of the story will be played out in the coming days and weeks.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver lowered the boom on him.

He made the mistake of insulting the majority of the people who work for him. Not the smartest move ever.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
    This is pretty much the outcome I expected. I heard about the options of up to a lifetime ban and $1 mil to $2.5 mil fine options on ESPN this morning when they were talking with a legal analyst that had gone over the NBA's rules. Given Sterling's track record and personality I doubt he'll just roll over and take this. The chickens finally came home to roost, although I still think this guy could have and should have been dealt with long ago.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    It was said that the NBA can force an ownership change if at least 3/4 of the owners support it. My guess is an internal poll of owners was taken over the weekend and at least that many supported that action for the league to render their decision today.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was said that the NBA can force an ownership change if at least 3/4 of the owners support it. My guess is an internal poll of owners was taken over the weekend and at least that many supported that action for the league to render their decision today. >>

yes, I'd be shocked if Silver didn't go into his news conference with the full knowledge that he has the votes.

The way that it could have been more full of awesome is if Silver had been using a hand-held mic, and at the end of his announcement he held it out at shoulder height, dropped it to the ground, and walked straight off the stage.
    While I don't necessarily disagree with Silvers decision, going forward one should give some serious thought before committing a billion dollars to a pro sports franchise. A franchise that you can be sepearated from by a single wretched recording of your words.

Better to buy an offshore tax shielded manufacturing firm offshore and you can say your piece.

<< <i>. Mark Cuban, while saying yesterday that forcing Sterling to sell is a very slippery slope, just tweeted a short time ago that he fully supports Silver's decision. >>

...and what choice does he have? If one does not vocally and energetically follow the party line in 2014 America, they too are labeled as racists.

Wonder how many pro sports owners lost a bit of sleep since Friday, wondering which of their poorly chosen words may surface and sink them?

<< <i>While I don't necessarily disagree with Silvers decision, going forward one should give some serious thought before committing a billion dollars to a pro sports franchise. A franchise that you can be sepearated from by a single wretched recording of your words.

Better to buy an offshore tax shielded manufacturing firm offshore and you can say your piece. >>

These guys have egos way too big to be satisfied by such mundane pursuits. Sterling, btw, has made a killing on his investment in the Clippers--he bought the team for about 12.5M and the franchise is reportedly worth almost 700M today, so he should be ok..

<< <i>

<< <i>While I don't necessarily disagree with Silvers decision, going forward one should give some serious thought before committing a billion dollars to a pro sports franchise. A franchise that you can be sepearated from by a single wretched recording of your words.

Better to buy an offshore tax shielded manufacturing firm offshore and you can say your piece. >>

These guys have egos way too big to be satisfied by such mundane pursuits. Sterling, btw, has made a killing on his investment in the Clippers--he bought the team for about 12.5M and the franchise is reportedly worth almost 700M today, so he should be ok.. >>

Agree on both counts. Of course the new owner who pays the $700 (or more) would be vulnerable to much greater financial exposure, particularly if the market for NBA teams softens in the future. One could argue that Sterling will do much better selling the team now, with many more potential buyers rushing to save the league from Sterling, than had this event not transpired.

<< <i>

<< <i>

These guys have egos way too big to be satisfied by such mundane pursuits. Sterling, btw, has made a killing on his investment in the Clippers--he bought the team for about 12.5M and the franchise is reportedly worth almost 700M today, so he should be ok.. >>

Agree on both counts. Of course the new owner who pays the $700 (or more) would be vulnerable to much greater financial exposure, particularly if the market for NBA teams softens in the future. One could argue that Sterling will do much better selling the team now, with many more potential buyers rushing to save the league from Sterling, than had this event not transpired. >>

The latter part of your post presents an interesting point and one a shrewd businessman (which Sterling most certainly is) ought to consider. Even negative press is good presd in today's media.

If it turns out that the NBA can force Sterling to sell the team, who would have the power/authority to choose who to sell the team to and who would have the power/authority to determine the asking price and the actual sale price?

Would Sterling have this power/authority?

Or would this power/authority be taken from Sterling by the NBA (or a court) and exercised by someone else (the NBA or a court appointed master or receiver)?

If Sterling retains this power/authority he could simply hand select the buyer (i.e. a family member or members, a friend or business associate who has the same views, opinions and practices that Sterling has), set the sales price and/or set the terms of sale (i.e. Sterling carrying back seller financing of some or all of the sale price). If he retains this power/authority it may be that the NBA and other members of the "NBA club" will not find it ok or acceptable to let Sterling be in control of the sale.

I wonder how many folks who are offended by Sterling's statements would vote for him to be sent to prison, bankrupted and/or beaten? Quite a few I would expect.

<< <i>If it turns out that the NBA can force Sterling to sell the team, who would have the power/authority to choose who to sell the team to and who would have the power/authority to determine the asking price and the actual sale price? >>

Not to mention the team interests of Sterling's estranged wife.

The Sterling/Silver saga will be quite drawn out.
    People who have come in defense of Sterling keep alluding to his First Amendment rights. Let's be clear that his rights were never violated as he isn't being criminally prosecuted or discriminated against for his words. One can argue that there is consequential overreaction but there is no denying the fact that Mr. sterling brought all this on himself. Good thing for past sports franchise owners like Marge Schott in their day there wasn't the presence of social media and instantaneous news.

New prospective owners need to be approved by the majority of the board (the other team owners) so anybody interested in acquiring a team will have their backgrounds closely scrutinized. You can be sure anybody who has any remote connection to Sterling will have lots of questions to answer.
    It would be beyond amusing if the woman who recorded Sterling's statements and gave the recording to TMZ asserts a "claim" to ownership of some interest in the Clippers, along with Sterling's estranged wife, kids and others.

Perhaps Bravo can come up with a new reality show based upon Sterling, his family, the Clippers and the NBA. I am sure it would get high ratings.

<< <i>New prospective owners need to be approved by the majority of the board (the other team owners) so anybody interested in acquiring a team will have their backgrounds closely scrutinized. >>

In the age of Google, Facebook and Twitter, finding new suitable owners with $1,000,000,000 handy, might be daunting.

<< <i>

<< <i>New prospective owners need to be approved by the majority of the board (the other team owners) so anybody interested in acquiring a team will have their backgrounds closely scrutinized. >>

In the age of Google, Facebook and Twitter, finding new suitable owners with $1,000,000,000 handy, might be daunting. >>

Depends where you look really. In Arizona or Mississippi it is daunting. In California not exactly. There is a big difference between having an opinion about something and asking someone to stay away from an entire race of people because their presence disgusts you.
    think Guggenheim Partners has any pocket change to spare for this team? in fact, consider the same consortiums who wanted to buy the Dodgers will now be courting our newest Golden Goose.

• << <i>People who have come in defense of Sterling keep alluding to his First Amendment rights. Let's be clear that his rights were never violated as he isn't being criminally prosecuted or discriminated against for his words. One can argue that there is consequential overreaction but there is no denying the fact that Mr. sterling brought all this on himself. Good thing for past sports franchise owners like Marge Schott in their day there wasn't the presence of social media and instantaneous news.

New prospective owners need to be approved by the majority of the board (the other team owners) so anybody interested in acquiring a team will have their backgrounds closely scrutinized. You can be sure anybody who has any remote connection to Sterling will have lots of questions to answer. >>

This reminds me of the Paula Deen case, in regards to individuals having first amendment rights. Everyone has the right to say whatever they want. Sponsors DO have the right to drop you, if your 'free speech' is offensive, and it is going to hurt their business. Sterling's public display of racism will hurt the NBA and the Clippers, therefore he needs to go.

<< <i>

<< <i>People who have come in defense of Sterling keep alluding to his First Amendment rights. Let's be clear that his rights were never violated as he isn't being criminally prosecuted or discriminated against for his words. One can argue that there is consequential overreaction but there is no denying the fact that Mr. sterling brought all this on himself. Good thing for past sports franchise owners like Marge Schott in their day there wasn't the presence of social media and instantaneous news.

New prospective owners need to be approved by the majority of the board (the other team owners) so anybody interested in acquiring a team will have their backgrounds closely scrutinized. You can be sure anybody who has any remote connection to Sterling will have lots of questions to answer. >>

This reminds me of the Paula Deen case, in regards to individuals having first amendment rights. Everyone has the right to say whatever they want. Sponsors DO have the right to drop you, if your 'free speech' is offensive, and it is going to hurt their business. Sterling's public display of racism will hurt the NBA and the Clippers, therefore he needs to go. >>

That was the point I was trying to make. You said it much better.