Home Precious Metals
Options

Bury Test #3 Results

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Buried a PVC of silver about 10 months ago - test 3. It was a white PVC tube containing 4 screw-top jars. 2 with eagles, buffalos, and generics. 2 with silver dimes. Buried vertically, with top recessed about 4 inches below ground with an iron railroad spike about 1 inch down. This area is sandy pines out in the woods about 10/20 feet above sea level. I buried this on the side of a slope about 10ft above the mean ground level so I expected no standing water, but I did expect water to trickle past and next to it with rain and snow. Purposely told no one of the location.

Everything seemed fine. Upon opening the PVC tube I wiped the inside with my finger and felt no moisture. The jars (tight sealing urine containers - new of course) were still tight, and also dry upon opening. All contents seemed as when placed.

I put this about 2 miles away from regular vehicle parking which made a 4 mile round trip. I also picked a so called no vehicle area. Of course there was evidence of vehicles in the area anyway. The location was in woods, hidden in a gully, out of view when placing and retrieving.

Of the 3 tests, this was container stayed dry. What I found on this and previous tests is that it is darn ez to misjudge the exact location of something so small a footprint. Its a known area in my memory and I had the gps loc and pictures. I didn't need the gps on this one because I was in the right area that the gps would have gotten me to anyway. Its amazing how much the surrounding trees and shurbs grown and change in one year. I had to test a few spots within 5-10 feet looking for any sign like disturbed ground or rocks. The area just near there experienced a fire. I don't know how much that would have affected the test and finding it.

So for me, on 3 such tests, far away from people was not as good as originally thought. Easy to forget details. Ackward and a work effort and not able to retrieve quickly esp if not physically able. Sometimes hard to find. Counting on someone else finding upon my demise would have been difficult. Lots of work, and effort for 1-2 thousand dollar each hides. The positive part was that it remained well hidden and generally un-findable unless giving someone the information. Now a 4 inch wide tube or lager container would hold more silver, but the bulk and weight would be prohibitive. The bulk of silver has its downsides.
COA

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting data. Did you seal the pvc tube with the pvc glue used in plumbing, or did you just hand-fit the caps on with no sealant?

Also, how did you excavate and with what tools?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I used pvc glue, and then on the nut cap end, lots of plumber's tape. I had a hand trowel. It was difficult to just pull it out of the ground from the exposed top end. Forgot to bring my metal detecting pinpointer to test it before digging. It was enough of a test to make me rethink its practicality for the $ amount. I may do better just using 100 dollar bills as a hidden backup.
    COA
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the test as a thing unto itself.

But silver is inert. Or is for all intents. Even wet silver, devoid of oxygen, would turn dark at worst. It's not like it would melt, rust, or dissolve. I've dug 100 year old silver out of the ground looking as bright as the day it was dropped.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good metal detector would make the job easier.... not sure what exactly you were attempting with this experiment. Silver in jars or other containers will be fine when buried.... until the seal is broken.....even then, unless the ground is particularly acidic (farm field for example), silver will still come out clean. The goal of this effort was what specifically?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    how bout some pics?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a recipe for a hoard discovery 100 years from now.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like a recipe for a hoard discovery 100 years from now. >>

And about 48 hours after making national news the govt' will release a statement that it belonged to them from an old robbery from "x years" ago...."yeah, that's the ticket...we were robbed and that hoard matches exactly what was taken, yeah."

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set