Home Precious Metals
Options

To dip or not to dip, that is the question

Had the great opportunity to purchase this 5 oz Maple Leaf Engelhard that I was told by a couple experts that it is definitely one I should, so I pulled the trigger.
Now having it in hand I'm debating on whether to dip it or not, or if dipping it would even bring out a more lusterous finish.
I can see dipping the more common bars to make them more appealing, but what do you do with your finer examples such as something like this? Leave it original or take a chance and dip it and possibly it doesn't come out the way you'd hoped and that could possibly diminish the value a bit? What say you?

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any tarnish but an acetone bath would remove any haze present.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Very neat bar, by the way.image

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the compliment PH.
    I have not had luck with acetone in the past, so I stay away from that now. To clarify when I say dip, I mean dipping it in eZest coin cleaner.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the compliment PH.
    I have not had luck with acetone in the past, so I stay away from that now. To clarify when I say dip, I mean dipping it in eZest coin cleaner. >>

A quick dip in e-Z-est shouldn't hurt it any. Let us know what results you get.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although my first choice would be acetone (if the haze is organic), the ezest dip should do the job... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Cool bar!image

I'd do EZest and acetone.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally I would say DIP IT,,,,,,, but in this case I think the bar is kinda image so I would leave it as is image

JMHO, GrandAm image

P.S. it can always be dipped at a future date,,,,, I would let it ferment a few years and see what it looks like at that time.
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, where did I read it recently? EZest is thiourea and when you dip it, there will be a sulfur residue chemically-bonded to the silver and it will react with the silver to tarnish it over time. You can't rinse it thoroughly enough after dipping it to undo the chemical bonding.

So, to dip or not to dip - that is the question. If it were a scarce or desirable coin, I wouldn't do it. That reminds me, I bought a roll of 1957 Halves back in 2006 and the dealer apparently had been a heavy smoker because I ended up dipping the whole roll to get rid of the smoke smell before putting them back into a plastic tube. I probably ought to check on them and see how they're doing.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Don't see any reason to dip this bar as it is very nice. I don't think it can restore luster, just clean and take off tarnish.
    I'm told it will remove the crisp rich original luster a bit, so if its nice already, leave it and enjoy it. I dipped some really
    nice 64 quarters and it looks like they lost some luster to me. Just a quick dunk and swush and then rinse right away. I don't
    think I'd do it to a very expensive poured bar as it may decrease the value if its detected.

The big thing is to rinse the heck out of it and let it air dry at least 24 hours, flipping it so air gets to both sides.

Its all relative. When I get a bag of dirty slimy silver quarters and dimes, I'll use auto hand cleaner to get
    the disgusting coating off of them.
    COA
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, where did I read it recently? EZest is thiourea and when you dip it, there will be a sulfur residue chemically-bonded to the silver and it will react with the silver to tarnish it over time. You can't rinse it thoroughly enough after dipping it to undo the chemical bonding.....

>>

This is not true as E-Z-est is highly diluted thiourea (5%). You can thoroughly rinse off E-Z-est and avoid problems, it's been done millions of times by thousands of people. Problems occur when the rinse is not thorough.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dip that sucker in Ezest.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Only a dipsh!t would dip it...
    keceph `anah