Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Autograph Project #1 : 1978 Topps Baseball HOFers Updated 2/2/14

The first cards I opened as a kid and by far my favorite all time set. I thought I would do all the HOFers signed. I have to get my Gary Carter scanned. I'll do that when I get the Brock Record Breaker and regular Brock back from a private signing. I also have a Don Sutton and Rollie Fingers Ldrs on the way that I hope is in good enough condition to fit in. I have a lot more stars signed as well like Keith Hernandez, Dave Parker, Bobby Valentine, Pete Rose, and more. I currently have in hand 44 of 51...enjoy....

Got my Gary Carter to scan. I have another PSA/DNA slabbed one somewhere but unable to locate it at this time. Sutton arrived Friday and my two Brocks arrived today. I'm also going to include Pete Rose in this thread because we all know he is deserving (not considering his gambling that has kept him officially out)

Here is the Burger King Reggie Jackson...

New Additions!

Most recent:

Comments

• AWESOME CARDS! A couple of observations: I had no idea there were so many HOF managers in 1978! Also, it would be really cool to add Trammell's sig to that Molitor.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!

If I have the right opportunity, I will add Trammell to the Molitor. I do have Trammell, Whitaker, and Morris all on the 78 Topps Burger Kings, which are solo cards.

As far as the 78 Managers, the 78 set has more well known such as Billy Martin, Ralph Houk, Alvin Dark, Don Zimmer, Chuck Tanner, Gene Mauch, Bill Virdon....the best manager cards ever!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    GREAT STUFF! Hey, what's the deal with Bobby Cox being in pen! LOL
    Also, LOVE that RICE/Foster. Where did you get it? HAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Yeah, the Bobby Cox may be replaced on day LOL I got a great deal on it last year and its in great shape. The pen may not bother me too much.

Hmm...the Foster/Rice. I think I bought it from a hobo that hangs outside the local bar image
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!

Random thoughts.

I love all the all-star cards throughout the years, but the 1978 logo may be the best.

The regular Reggie card is nearly perfect. What a shot!

What's with the two different Gossage cards? I'm always surprised when a player signs right across his face, like Goose did on one of these. No way would I do that, if I were in his shoes.

Finally, the pitching victory leaders card is fantastic! Each guy did a great job "coloring in the lines" more-or-less.

Thanks for sharing and be sure to keep this thread going!
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's with the two different Gossage cards? >>

The one on the right is the 1978 Burger King issue.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful cards. My first set. I'm almost done with a signed set (six to go!), but many/most of my signatures are in pen. Yours are really great. I may try to work a trade with you someday!
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Love that set because it was my first year as well. I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 +/- signed cards from that set, maybe more, but they are not separated out by year. I am always looking to add new players. As for my 2 favorite "autograph" teams, I completed the M's team set and now just need Ed Goodson to polish off the Dodgers team set.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

• << <i>Love that set because it was my first year as well. I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 +/- signed cards from that set, maybe more, but they are not separated out by year. I am always looking to add new players. As for my 2 favorite "autograph" teams, I completed the M's team set and now just need Ed Goodson to polish off the Dodgers team set. >>

How can they be separated by set and not by year? So confused.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Does Brooks Robinson write left-handed?
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Love that set because it was my first year as well. I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 +/- signed cards from that set, maybe more, but they are not separated out by year. I am always looking to add new players. As for my 2 favorite "autograph" teams, I completed the M's team set and now just need Ed Goodson to polish off the Dodgers team set. >>

Goodson is a tough one. One of the six still on my list as well.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does Brooks Robinson write left-handed? >>

Brooks is actually left handed...The only thing he ever did right handed was play baseball

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

<< <i>Awesome, the pitching victory leaders card is fantastic! Each guy did a great job "coloring in the lines" more-or-less. >>

LOL ... they sure did. Card came out fantastic.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Awesome collection. I am currently collecting this set as well, but not autographed. It was the first set of baseball cards that I ever collected as well. I traditionally have cards from the 1988 Topps baseball set autographed whenever I have the opportunity. That was the first set that I ever completed. Thanks so much for creating this thread and sharing your collection. I love it.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why this would confuse you or even why it would matter, but my signed cards are stored alphabetically by player. They are not separated by set or year.

<< <i>

<< <i>Love that set because it was my first year as well. I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 +/- signed cards from that set, maybe more, but they are not separated out by year. I am always looking to add new players. As for my 2 favorite "autograph" teams, I completed the M's team set and now just need Ed Goodson to polish off the Dodgers team set. >>

How can they be separated by set and not by year? So confused. >>

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    The George Butt auto is fantastic!

<< <i>The George Butt auto is fantastic! >>

LOL Thanks. Ive been told I have a nice signed Butt!
    Added Carter, Sutton, Brock x 2, and Rose x 2
    I posted my Burger King Reggie Jackson. I will replace that one at some point due to the card condition. But when I bought it, I couldnt pass up the price. Purchased from one of the most reputable.
    It is still a very nice card. Congratulations on the purchase.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
    Added two HOFers today. And not on the first post but I will post these here....finished up a league leader card and got one of my all time favorites done!
    Nice job. Congratulations.
  • flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    This is awesome!

1978 was my first big year as well.

Sure, I had some 75's, opened a few 76's, and bought a 77 set from Billy Wilmont. Billy was a guy up the street who would break down vending cases and then sell hand collated (weren't they all??) sets for $10 - but I digress.

1978 was the first year I would buy packs, built multiple sets, traded a magic trick set for the tough #700 Bench card, and then for good measure purchased a 1000 lot from Renatta Galasso for $10 late in the year. The 1000 cards I bought from them was effectively a rack box of 25 racks or so. Love the 78's!

I have my own autographed 78 set working and now have about 80 of the 726.

I have no HoF'ers yet and really enjoyed your presentation here. Good luck!

LMK if you need a Jim Lonborg as I have an extra one.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
    I dont need a Longborg but thank you! I do have a stash of other signed 78s.

Im just waiting on private signings for the rest of them. There are still a few I can do TTM when I get the extra money like Ryan and Niekro
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Not sure how I missed this, beautiful cards!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb additions Barry.

Thanx for the update.
    Mike

• << <i>I like Guidry's sig! >>

+1
    Got Dawson done...

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Barry - Dawson as a nice sig - good clean card also.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike
    Doing the HOFers (and a few other favorites) is one of the most fun projects I have done.
    Yes, I know I already showed Dawson...anyway, here are my two most recent...Schmidt and Eckersley
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    This is awesome. I missed this thread the first time around. Congratulations on the autos. I really love that most of them were signed with a thinner pen/sharpie. Nice and clean.

<< <i>This is awesome. I missed this thread the first time around. Congratulations on the autos. I really love that most of them were signed with a thinner pen/sharpie. Nice and clean. >>

Thanks. Im trying to do them as clean as possible. I have a Winfield that is ex/exmt but its not the quality I want. I may have an opportunity for Winfield next month so hopefully I can add him then.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I know I already showed Dawson...anyway, here are my two most recent...Schmidt and Eckersley >>

Love that Eckersley! He's got a really nice sig. Was the 'PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE' something you had put on the slab or is it from a collection with the customized label?
  • These are all sweet, especially the Dawson and Eck!
    I find this thread to be very interesting on a personal level as a collector. I am currently working on completing a 1978 Topps Baseball set, but I am also collecting autographs on my 1988 Topps Baseball cards. I will be adding Andre Dawson's autograph to my collection next Saturday, along with Phil Niekro and Frank Viola. If I ever have the opportunity to add the autographs of Dennis Eckersley and Mike Schmidt to my collection, they would also be added to my 1988 Topps Baseball cards. Great stuff Yankees No. 7.

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, I know I already showed Dawson...anyway, here are my two most recent...Schmidt and Eckersley >>

Love that Eckersley! He's got a really nice sig. Was the 'PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE' something you had put on the slab or is it from a collection with the customized label? >>

I purchased it that way. I'll probably have it crossed into a red flip at some point. I had planned on getting Eckersley in Cooperstown this past summer but he wasnt there signing. I found this one on ebay...great sig, sharp card, fit my collection so I grabbed it up. I got it for a great price to boot.

<< <i>I find this thread to be very interesting on a personal level as a collector. I am currently working on completing a 1978 Topps Baseball set, but I am also collecting autographs on my 1988 Topps Baseball cards. I will be adding Andre Dawson's autograph to my collection next Saturday, along with Phil Niekro and Frank Viola. If I ever have the opportunity to add the autographs of Dennis Eckersley and Mike Schmidt to my collection, they would also be added to my 1988 Topps Baseball cards. Great stuff Yankees No. 7. >>

Thanks. 1978 was the first packs I remember opening as a kid. I ripped a lot LOL. I wish I had all those rack packs I bought at Fay's Drugs that one afternoon. I think I bought about 15 of them.

If you join Sportscollectors.net, there are often times guys selling 88s. There are also private signings you might be able to take advantage of as well.

Good luck on your quest!
    Well, here is my Yaz! This is the only one I have to update in the 78s right now. I should be knocking down a couple more soon. Im closing in on the last 1/4 of them.
  • Gotta love that!
    Barry ... you KNEW Dan was going to love that one!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Those cards look awesome signed.
    Yeah, Dan had asked when I was going to post it LOL

It looks a little more rushed but that's not a surprise when they do all the mail in stuff compared to when the player gets a small break in between people in line. I still love it though!
  • Barry, I don't see what you mean. I think it looks great!
    Big Dave!
    Lets add 2 more! Getting down there!