Home Precious Metals

Royal mint, SS Gairsoppa coins/bars:

GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
The article shows the coins.

Coinupdate article

Ed

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Little bid pricey for a 1/4 oz coin ($45).
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably buy one of the 10 oz bars made of silver from this ship wreck if it doesn't carry too much of a premium over melt. Very neat looking bar with some history attached.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>I'll probably buy one of the 10 oz bars made of silver from this ship wreck if it doesn't carry too much of a premium over melt. Very neat looking bar with some history attached. >>

I've got a 100 gram bar....did not realize that 10 oz bars available

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll probably buy one of the 10 oz bars made of silver from this ship wreck if it doesn't carry too much of a premium over melt. Very neat looking bar with some history attached. >>

I've got a 100 gram bar....did not realize that 10 oz bars available >>

You may be right. I thought I saw a 10 oz silver bar made from silver from this ship wreck.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>

<< <i>

I've got a 100 gram bar....did not realize that 10 oz bars available >>

You may be right. I thought I saw a 10 oz silver bar made from silver from this ship wreck. >>

MCM sold the 10 oz bars.

GrumpyEd, would you please edit your title, so it comes up in future searches? The name of the ship is Gairsoppa. Thanks.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>GrumpyEd, would you please edit your title, so it comes up in future searches? The name of the ship is Gairsoppa. Thanks. >>

Thanks, I changed it.

The funny thing is I first was going to post a different article but they had so many mistakes in it including the ship name so I removed the link to it.

Still an interesting article but it's funny how the news can mess up a story:

Wales Online article

"Every coin will display the name ‘SS Gairsappo’ as a tribute to the 22 years service she paid to the country."
    (wrong ship name and the coins only have the name as edge lettering)

"The U-101 torpedo, captained by Ernst Mengersen, blew the old and heavily laden ship in half."
    (the U-101 was a sub not a torpedo)

"All but one member of crew survived."
    (not sure if all but one survived the torpedo but out of 86 men, only one survived the ordeal and made it home alive)

Ed
    I was wrong...I have one of those 10 oz bars .. 1st release w/o the date..purchased from MCM when they were on sale....(Memory not what it used to be .. getting old)
  • element159element159 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭
    I got one of the 10 oz bars too. I like it, I have always been interested in naval and submarine history, so I find the history interesting.

I probably didn't get that good of a price, maybe $40 over melt, I was waiting for a better price then I got tired of waiting so I just bought one image

Edit: My first thought looking at the coins, is that the design hardly mentioned the ship, which I didn't like. But then I realized that making generic British coins was the actual point of the cargo during the war, and that made them sound a lot more interesting. At least they are cheaper than the bars! Maybe I'll get one even if overpriced.
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    The ship had millions of ounces of silver bullion aboard. I don't see any reason to pay much over melt for this kind of thing. Especially since we're talking about a ship pretty much no one has ever heard of.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

<< <i>The ship had millions of ounces of silver bullion aboard. I don't see any reason to pay much over melt for this kind of thing. Especially since we're talking about a ship pretty much no one has ever heard of. >>

Agree which is why I'll wait for awhile and buy one in the secondary market. Neat bars but not rare.

• TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942

<< <i>

<< <i>The ship had millions of ounces of silver bullion aboard. I don't see any reason to pay much over melt for this kind of thing. Especially since we're talking about a ship pretty much no one has ever heard of. >>

Agree which is why I'll wait for awhile and buy one in the secondary market. Neat bars but not rare. >>

As dealers will buy these for melt, not a problem.