Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Proof Sacagawea Dollar Collection ... Digital Coin Album Format ... (Color Alert)

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
An underrated coin design for the modern era. I always loved the flying eagle reverse (2000-2008).

I think the U.S.Mint made a mistake dropping the date from the obverse in 2009, and moving the date to the edge. I might be old fashioned, but coins without a date stamped on the obverse just look odd to me (like something is missing) -- so the easiest way to quickly "date" a post 2009 Saca Dollar is by the reverse design which changes every year. My eyes are too old and blurry to read the date on the edge.

Comments

• OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Like most of the things you post, those are beautiful. I do not collect the series, but these look amazing. Great work (and great photography/design!)
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful colors. Love the coinage design elements. Very nice! imageimage
  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Most Haunting" Award ... (Her eyes just pierce right through you)

"Best Color" Award ... (Broke this monster out of a original OGP Proof Set, coin was basically free as I paid for the Lincoln the set contained)
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, when you show something you do it right!

I like Sacagweas. Those are stunning and your presentation gets a image.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Slab view of the monster 2006-S ..

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning and beautiful coins and display!
    Thanks for sharing image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    those are beautiful, nice set.
    I wish they would have stuck with the original obverse design.
    Looks naked without the date to the right.
    figglehorn

• << <i>those are beautiful, nice set.
    Looks naked without the date to the right. >>

I agree, nothing to balance In God We Trust. I'd like to see the date back on the obverse too.

Beautiful coins beautifully presented, thank you to the OP!

I really like this series.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>those are beautiful, nice set.
    Looks naked without the date to the right. >>

+1 to all.

some nice moderns there.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• robecrobec Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous set and as usual AWESOME presentation.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WL, GREAT set. Hard to find nicely toned specimens of sucha a recent issue. I hope that you will find some 2011-2013 toned issues in the not too near future.

Your presentation makes them even better.

OINK
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is great coin photography...Cheers, RickO
  • BodinBodin Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭
    you have to share some tips on shooting proofs this well. Great coins, fantastic photos!
  • ceeveeNJceeveeNJ Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Wow is all I can say!
    You do a great job of showing the beauty of these coins.

That's natural toning, correct?

And I agree about the year... what was the Mint thinking?
    Coin Search Made Easy -- CoinZilla.com
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you have to share some tips on shooting proofs this well. Great coins, fantastic photos! >>

Sure: tip -- pay Phil Arnold to photograph them for you. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>you have to share some tips on shooting proofs this well. Great coins, fantastic photos! >>

Sure: tip -- pay Phil Arnold to photograph them for you. image >>

I couldn't agree more…He is lights out the best IMO…and I will continue to use TrueView on most every coin I submit to PCGS image

Erik
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sure: tip -- pay Phil Arnold to photograph them for you. image >>

I couldn't agree more…He is lights out the best IMO…and I will continue to use TrueView on most every coin I submit to PCGS image

Erik >>

That's not what I was getting at -- I was getting at that all of the pictures in this post are Phil Arnold's work -- so complimenting the OP for their quality goes so far as his checkbook to pay for said images.
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, too collect these-I think the design is outstanding. Gorgeous coins-how did they get those beautiful colors? I also wish they'd restore the date to the obverse of the coin.
  • CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I've never really given a Sac more than a passing glance.

But you have certainly opened my eyes with this collection! Great looking set!
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your virtual albums are top of the line. They make Phil's photos look even better.
    I didn't realize that she was only 16 when she accompanied Lewis and Clark on their western expedition ... and that she died at age 24. Being a woman, an Indian, and dying at such a young age -- it's kind of amazing that her face ended up on a U.S.Coin that's been in production now for 15 years. I know there have been a number of allegorical Indian women on USCoins (like the Indian head cent and Indian gold) -- but this is an actual historical figure and not some general representation of Lady Liberty. In any case, it's a relief not seeing another dead President on a U.S. coin.

Her name is sometimes spelled with a k (Sakagawea) and sometimes with a j (Sacajawea). There was some controversy about the year of her death, with some believing that she lived to an old age in the 1880's, however historians now believe she died of Typhoid in December 1812.

Historical court documents point to Sacagawea's earlier death. An adoption document made in the Orphans Court Records in St. Louis, Missouri states that "On August 11, 1813, explorer William Clark became the guardian of Jean Baptiste Charbonneau, a boy about ten years, and Lizette Charbonneau, a girl about one year old" -- both children of Sacagawea.

There are a large number of Sacagawea statues around the western United States. This one is in North Dakota (I believe) ...

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful. Impressive display, as said.

I also agree that the newer types look naked without the date on the obverse.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i> I also agree that the newer types look naked without the date on the obverse. >>

Amazing how a community of coin collectors that generally can't agree on anything ... all agree that removing the date from the obverse on this coin starting in 2009 was a huge design mistake.
    So where is the U.S.Mint's brain ... or their taste ... or their artistry ?

How this coin really looks ...

How this same coin would look with an obverse date ... clearly better and more balanced.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i really like your collection. it's awesome.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 2006-S contrast slab shot is quite cool. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file