Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why eBay sellers drink. Part CCCXXXLL

AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone out there want to tell me how to respond?

Actual note:

Sir Before I make an offer on your coin and after doing some homework PCGS has this coin worth 7,000 and if you look the Price is in red so that means the Price and the desire to own one of these is going down. I see you are asking 8,200 for it. I am not trying to be Smart sit at all just realistic. I do not believe you will get 8,200 for it but if you are really sincere about selling it for a fair Price I would be interested in buying it I normally do not pay more than 60 to 70 % of a coins actual real value,your coin is overpriced. I did a cert check as well and the same 7,000 came up 60% of that coin is 4400 and 70 % is 4900 I would be willing to pay somewhere in between if interested. especially with the Price going to drop some more that make s me quite nervous anyway. I mean lets be honest no one pays full amount for a coin unless they are stupid or just want it real bad. well let me know have a nice day
MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Comments

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    WOW!

"Another six pack in."

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was "listening" up to this point

Sir Before I make an offer on your coin and after doing some homework PCGS has this coin worth 7,000 and if you look the Price is in red so that means the Price and the desire to own one of these is going down. I see you are asking 8,200 for it. I am not trying to be Smart sit at all just realistic. I do not believe you will get 8,200 for it but if you are really sincere about selling it for a fair Price I would be interested in buying it ....

then this came

I normally do not pay more than 60 to 70 % of a coins actual real value,your coin is overpriced. I did a cert check as well and the same 7,000 came up 60% of that coin is 4400 and 70 % is 4900 I would be willing to pay somewhere in between if interested. especially with the Price going to drop some more that make s me quite nervous anyway. I mean lets be honest no one pays full amount for a coin unless they are stupid or just want it real bad. well let me know have a nice day

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    tell him your situation and then "we're too far apart, sorry. I'm not letting it go that low."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    I'm afraid we're too far apart on price on this coin. Thanks for your interest.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i ruined a potential good numismatic relationship with someone over a pathetic uncreative negotiation tactic like this one and haven't looked back since.

its been said here before, maybe not verbatim: money is nice but peace of mind is priceless. forget it and move on.

there are most likely tens of thousands of messages like this going through ebay daily across all categories. no need to fuss on it. - just in case you are.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm afraid we're too far apart on price on this coin. Thanks for your interest. >>

This.
  • "You're cheap. I'll do $6500. That's less than price guide. I don't sell coins for 70% of their value."

<< <i>I normally do not pay more than 60 to 70 % of a coins actual real value... >>

Probably the same guy who screams about dealers trying to rip him when they only offer 75% of retail when he tries to sell his coins. image
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably the same guy who screams about dealers trying to rip him when they only offer 75% of retail when he tries to sell his coins. image >>

Replace 'retail' with 'bluesheet' and you're right on point.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would block him and not even waste time on a response.
    I was going to mention that this guy reminds me of the one who offered "70% of melt, 80% of melt or 90% of melt... which do you want" for some foreign silver

then I thought this guy might mean he doesn't pay "guide"

A sale might can be saved if you can show why guide is too low with some recent auction sales.

• jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    If his really is his buying strategy then this guys collection must be really small. And depending on his you look at it, his box of 20 must either be easy or hard to assemble.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say : block this biddiot.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore the bull chit and just quote him your best price. If he doesn't want it at your price and continues to make counter offers, then block him.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One reply.... best offer... then block, since he will not accept that. Cheers, RickO
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    "I'll reluctantly accept $8,199. Talk me down."

or

"There are so many things to be concerned about in the world.
    I would hate to sell you a coin whose dropping value worries you
    so much. Let's wait until the retail value drops to $4,900 and then
    you can buy it with a fresh and clear mind free from anxiety (if I
    haven't sold it for $8,200 in the meantime)."

• DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm afraid we're too far apart on price on this coin. Thanks for your interest. >>

This. >>

+1

Some people are just not good at negotiating (or communicating over the internet).

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins

• << <i>

This. >>

Don't adjust your manners to others. Standards don't drop for different situations.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the coin or link to the auction? It is hard to give an opinion of what the coin is worth based on this. There is no question some of the PCGS values are WAY to high.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was working in coin shops it was not unusual for jerks to walk in and say "That's way too much! I'll give you (some ridiculously cheap number for it)!" and then expect you to meet him halfway in the middle. Why should the interwebz be any different?

Oh, and whenever anybody made a stupid offer like that, we just refused to dicker with him.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i> I mean lets be honest no one pays full amount for a coin unless they are stupid or just want it real bad. >>

Sounds like he wants it real bad!!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No response might be the correct responce.image
  • Usually I counter all offers even when we are far off as we make sales every now and then by that, but we have up a 1929-s standing liberty quarter in NGC 65FH (listed around 850$ I believe) where we received a 255$ offer ...it wasn't worth the counter so I just declined.

• << <i>Usually I counter all offers even when we are far off as we make sales every now and then by that, but we have up a 1929-s standing liberty quarter in NGC 65FH (listed around 850$ I believe) where we received a 255$ offer ...it wasn't worth the counter so I just declined. >>

There is an auto decline feature for the stupid waste of time offers
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be tempted to ask him how many coins HE wants to sell ME at 60%, but there's absolutely no reason to get a dialogue going with this nimrod. Block him and forget about it.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He'd be dead right if it was a Canadian coin!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

<< <i>

<< <i>Probably the same guy who screams about dealers trying to rip him when they only offer 75% of retail when he tries to sell his coins. image >>

Replace 'retail' with 'bluesheet' and you're right on point. >>

For the guy in question, you're probably right. Based on his negotiating technique, there's no way he's got the kind of coins that dealers will offer 75% of retail for. image

• << <i>I'd be tempted to ask him how many coins HE wants to sell ME at 60% >>

Of course, he would be horrified to consider selling HIS coins at 60%.
    Numismatist, Alhambra Coin Center

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file