Home U.S. Coin Forum

1873 $20 Gold Help: Grade and Value

Hello,

I have been offered this double eagle and needed some help on approximate grade, seller is claiming XF. I also was looking on value help as this is my first $20 gold being purchased. I know greysheet is 1625 in my sheet, and some ebay sales are around 1450-1500. More curious as to what they're commonly trading at in raw condition like this.

Only have these pics, am able to see coin in person before purchase.

JG

JG Numismatics
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

Comments

• BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This 1873 $20 is the open 3 variety which is much more common than the closed 3 variety from the Philadelphia mint. It has XF details with some remaining luster and may have been cleaned based on the faint parallel marks especially on the obverse. I would pass and look for a nice, original PCGS/NGC graded example. Good luck!
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF Details and $1400 value. Some might pay $1450 for it if they see it as problem-free.
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This 1873 $20 is the open 3 variety which is much more common than the closed 3 variety from the Philadelphia mint. It has XF details with some remaining luster and may have been cleaned based on the faint parallel marks especially on the obverse. I would pass and look for a nice, original PCGS/NGC graded example. Good luck! >>

This summed it up well.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know 0.00000000 about old gold

Melt is 1240.

Free bump!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JGnumismaticsJGnumismatics Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know 0.00000000 about old gold

Melt is 1240.

Free bump! >>

That's how I feel haha, I know a enough to keep me out of trouble. I'm still considering this as a purchase, I can get it for just south of 1350....might not be a bad idea.

thanks thus far
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I was also wondering about an old cleaning,too.

I see some areas of concern, but didn't want to say anything until others did.

Be careful.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Yeah I've had a change of heart. Like others said more money for a problem free example is worth the wait.
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member

• pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Go for it, if melt is 1240 and you can chisel down to 1325 or 1350 not impossible to see gold go to 1500 before it goes to 1200. It is not hard to see where you stand on a daily basis with this coin. Being upside down 100 bucks in a new coin purchase almost seems like a home run at times. lol
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely a problem example of a common date. It is just expensive bullion.
    Yeah I can get the coin for 1300-1325 range, I was pretty sure myself it was cleaned as well. Thanks for all the input so far, I think I will pass. Might not be a bad pick up and re sell piece, but not what I need for my first $20
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    1300 - 1325 is a good buy. It is likely cleaned, but it is gold at a low premium.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file