Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this type of toning.

FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have really come to like this type of toning.
It seems more prevalent on quarters for some reason.

Does anyone have this type of splotchy, colorful toning on any other denomination?
Please share any examples you may have and thoughts on what causes it.

Comments

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I'm not a big fan. Don't find it attractive. Think it would be hard to sell when the time came. What is it about this type of toning that you like? Can you describe?
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I never thought about WHY I like it. Maybe it is the uniqueness of it.
    I never considered that more people might dislike it than like it either.
    I don't plan to sell it but I didn't think it would be a problem.

I'm glad I started this thread. image
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's kind of cool.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for it, as it looks like splotchy re-tone. But I think that you'll eventually find a buyer if you ever decide to sell.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, this looks much more like PVC or some other environmental damage. If you like it, that is OK. But when you wear thin of the look just dip it and you may be surprised what you find.

OINK
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me I recognize it as a look of a coin that was dipped, but was crusty enough that the dip couldn't penetrate all the tarnishing.

But who knows. It has some character but I could take it or leave it, depending on the coin of coarse
  • rkprkp Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    It's a negative from me. Looks like secondary toning gone awry.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made me think of my splotchy colorful quarter.

PCGS MS 66+

imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Not appealing to me.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Not my cup of tea.

Like the Washie though image
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like it, I've seen it on other coins as well and wondered what caused it. I think I've seen on it on a few bust halves and commems. Could be an unsuccessful attempt to remove heavier toning, or something from a particular old type of holder.

edit to add: I don't hate it either and I have seen similar that was worse (all black).

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found some similar to this in an old Whitman bookshelf album I bought as part of a deal from an estate guy - they had apparently been cleaned long ago and developed some vibrant, albeit splotchy toning.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not like it...(of course, I do not like any tarnish)... this looks more like residue... Cheers, RickO
  • phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    Bad rinse.
  • Cleaned at one time, now re-toning, albeit unevenly.

Left alone, it would become very dark over time. Probably a bit unstable now.

I don't dislike it.
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't do much for me. Any kind of 'splotchy' toning, whether colorful or not, is not likely to meet with my approval.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Made me think of my splotchy colorful quarter.

PCGS MS 66+

imageimage >>

Like this kind of toning. Often find similar toning on OBWs, although only on one side, of course.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file