Home U.S. Coin Forum

Will today's stickers still be meaningful in the year 2034?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since in the thread 5 good coin to hide in the back of the safe for 20 years? one recommendation was OGH with Gold CAC stickers which got me thinking would make for a good discussion post.

So moving forward 20 years how do you think collectors will feel about stickers image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    It remains to be seen if cac has any legs once JA moves on. If there is still an active two way market and a warranty of course they will. If it is simply a bit of nostalgia then it won't mean very much more then the quality of the coin stickered
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So moving forward 20 years how do you think collectors will feel about stickers >>

Same as today. Some will worship them, others will disregard them.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By then there will be so many other stickers covering them they will be hard to see.image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phew! I wanted to make sure that I was not the one who responded re: OGHs with CAC Gold stickers. image

That said, nice coins for the grade should always be in vogue. Coins in old holders are more likely to be stable and unmessed with for 40 years, and that should have some value.

So whether or not the CAC or PCGS is even in business, it is valuable to know, in 2034, that at least c. 2014, the best graders in the business thought that these coins were superior for the grade, and the coin(s) has not been tampered with, or at least physically handled, in 40 years or more.

Personally, I am not sure that I will care whether stickers (or even slabs...or even coins) have value in 2034. I expect to have other interests and greater concerns.

"There are no called strikes in coin collecting."--Henry David Thoreau RYK
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2034 will be a different numismatic world. Many things will change over that period. Twenty years ago, CAC did not exist, grading standards were different and we still had the Open Forum ( image )..... In the future there is likely to be decimal grading and different TPG's and FPG's.... and the F may stand for Fourth or even Fifth..... Cheers, RickO
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We still have the Open Forum. Just not here. image
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Well, maybe a little. People will still understand what it meant at the time. Grading standards will have changed by then, but nice coins will still be nice coins. People forget that really nice examples for grade have always traded at a premium, sticker or no sticker.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realone nailed it!

BTW, is there anything else that we can predict will be true in 2034, inside or outside of coins, related to grades, tests, and opinions and with any accuracy?

"There are no called strikes in coin collecting."--Henry David Thoreau RYK
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, is there anything else that we can predict will be true in 2034, inside or outside of coins, related to grades, tests, and opinions and with any accuracy? >>

Yes. Intense disagreement will still be prevalent.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>inside or outside of coins, related to grades, tests, and opinions and with any accuracy? >> >>

I will be 80 instead of 60 I am now.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be in the prime of my collecting in 20yrs and, hopefully I will still care. I love the early green holders with gold coins. The gold
    stickers are even better. Just got my second gold sticker on a gold coin today.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the way the few that I have look, I don't think they will exist in 2034, at least not original ones from 2014 or there abouts.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ones that J. Albanese has stickered today will always be revered but a large majority, even in the future.

Not sure what will happen, if CAC is taken over by another person.

If it is somebody of equal credentials takes it over, I can see it carrying on.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one will just worry about collecting coins for now.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The ones that J. Albanese has stickered today will always be revered but a large majority, even in the future.

Not sure what will happen, if CAC is taken over by another person.

If it is somebody of equal credentials takes it over, I can see it carrying on. >>

I believe JA is in his early 50's, in 20 years early 70's and I can imagine him still being involved with the Co., wouldn't you if it were yours as at bare minimum its nongrading CEO.....I mean it's a labor of love to own such an organization. >>

What I am referring to is that the beans look like they are crumbling off the slab. They haven't been there that long and aren't living a difficult life either.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - many coins by that time will probably go bad in the holder if still there. as long as coins can react with the atmosphere they will tarnish, deteriorate. People may be all broke by then.

Instead of worrying about stickers one should learn how to grade and look at coins.

I was analyzing a dealers inventory in Coins Magazine today, many better date dollars vs CDN Bid. In my spreadsheet I noticed the stickered coins had another 30% added to the mark up factor over bid. Who is paying these prices, how are they getting this? The end users.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on QE 32
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since in the thread 5 good coin to hide in the back of the safe for 20 years? one recommendation was OGH with Gold CAC stickers which got me thinking would make for a good discussion post.

So moving forward 20 years how do you think collectors will feel about stickers image >>

That was my thread and I am still working on it. I just picked up the 1955/55 double die Lincoln cent and picked up a couple of 10 dollar libs in Old green and rattler holders. I bought 2 coins basicly for no real upcharge for being in the plastic. They are graded ms60 and ms61. Personally I hope they get a gold sticker when I send them in but reguardless you still have the crappy ms 60 and ms 61 grade. To me a grade of ms60,61 and 62 is nothing to crow about but if a gold bean makes someone bid crazy I am all for it.

Having a gold sticker on a coin from xf45 to ms62 on a common date coin should not be something to drool over.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    For good measure I added a m3hb ma deuce 50 bmg, a browning 1919, a FnH ps 90, a sten, a sterling, a kel tec ksg, utas a few lugers, a few colts and thinking about a mg 34 to hide in the back with the coins. Well the ma deuce does not fit in the safe.

It will be interesting to see what does better in 20 years.

Probably bit coins and ray guns will be the rage.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All I know is for all the right reason I bought pcgs ogh & ngc old no line fatty's and had them all stickered green and gold in 2034 there shouldn't be any negative to still having them intact and I would surmise the very reason I acquired them would still be valid. >>

well said

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file