Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need some advice with TPGS....Examples

Hello, well I have done months of reading and I am seriously thinking of sending some coins in to be slabbed. I have mulitiple reasons I guess but the main one is to confirm cameos. That being said if I bite the bullet I will send a few others.....

Here is a list of what I plan to send...

64 AH CAM Kennedy
64 Cam/DCAM Quarter
5 or 6 Kennedy Cams SMS, 68,69,70.
73 Kennedy with a rotated reverse

and a Morgan shown in this thread:

1889s Morgan

So all in all about 10 or maybe a few more...not sure yet.

Here is what I have learned. PCGS and NGC are the leaders and from what research I have done it will cost me a little less than $20 a coin. However if I were to use ANACS or ICG I might save a few dollars. ANACS was what I was leaning towards but the reputation has gone down hill with new owners and the same with ICG. Any of the others are not really worth considering from what I gather.

If I was going to be selling these then the top 2 would be a slam dunk but I plan on keeping these till I croak but then the family will be left trying to sell them and I am afraid of a big loss. You see I read about bad grades and such with companies like PCI and I can understand the frustration but I own a PCI and I think it was a close grade.....this was given to me but I see no issue with it..

BHB - now these were cheap, like $3 and I got some nice gems, not graded per se but good holders. I was hoping the 71S was Cameo but I have doubts.

ICG on the other hand has a tier 2 reputation and I think I actually bought a bargin one...it says PR69 and I know it is not but I do think they missed a Cameo rating and I did not overpay. I am glad I bought it.

So that leads me to ANACS....easy..no membership required and nice holders (new ones). I have a few examples that I really like,

When I started with my journey, well actually picked it back up after 20 + years... I got the idea to buy slabs of cameo/graded coins so I could learn to grade. What better way to see than hold in your hands what the experts say right? This has been a very learning experience and costly one as some of the 68,69,70 coins in DCAM were not cheap. But when you hold them and compare grades etc you can really get a good idea. I have grades from MS-62 through MS69 CAM/DCAM/CIRC etc...so I use that as a tool.

Now I would agree that the PCGS/NGC would be the route but I feel they cater to the dealers and not the hobbyist. Here are some of the examples I have from them..

You see these are not real $$$ coins, just fun collectors stuff. So I really am torn. However the Accented Hair Cameo I found recently has me stumped. That could be a $75 coin or a $300 coin. Now it gets into a real quandary on what to do. I would not send that to ANACS but to the 1st tier, but the others really would not be worth it.

btw if you want to see that AH hair coin I am referring to, look in this thread..

AH

So I guess I am asking some advice from those of you who have used these firms.....is $20 per coin unreasonable if the coin itself would be worth around $50? I mean if I can do them for $10 and get the CAM designation, then why not use ANACS? I would love to send them all to NGC but I would never recover my funds. On the AH, that could well be worth it but that would be the only one and what happens if I send that 1889s Morgan that I used acetone to get the acrylic off of and they do not slab it, pay them another $12 to restore it?

What guidelines do you use? $200 and greater coins?

I would just like to get a conversation started about them from the perspective of the hobbyist without deep pockets.,,,,,

No one would send a 1964 half in if they knew it would come back only MS63 CAM in the case of the ANACS above. It just doesn't make sense. I can see hoping for a MS67 CAM and getting a MS65 CAM...that seems plausible.

Thanks for your time...

Ethan

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”

Comments

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the ICG holder the one you are looking at sending in? It looks like it has spots if so you will not get a 68 or 67 it's hardto tell from the pic. But i would not send in any of them but thats just me. It's your $$$ and you can do what you want with them i try to find coins that are $200 and up after all fees are payed. but i have sent in BU Morgans that are worth $75+ just to flip but i'm in them for a total of $47.50 with grading. So it's up to you to send them in or not and what you are going to do with them sorry not much help here.. image

Hoard the keys.
  • EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭

<< <i>Is the ICG holder the one you are looking at sending in? It looks like it has spots if so you will not get a 68 or 67 it's hardto tell from the pic. But i would not send in any of them but thats just me. It's your $$$ and you can do what you want with them i try to find coins that are $200 and up after all fees are payed. but i have sent in BU Morgans that are worth $75+ just to flip but i'm in them for a total of $47.50 with grading. So it's up to you to send them in or not and what you are going to do with them sorry not much help here.. image >>

Oh no, that ICG stays as an example...I paid $20 from Teletrade....no one would bid on it so I got it at the minimum. I give it 50/50 to go Cam.....as for grade..not sure but I would say 67ish.......I like it.

Those coins above are my benchmarks per se, I would not re-slab, I would just send my raw ones in..
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a long post, with a lot of questions..... basically, I would say, according to the picture (not very good for evaluating a coin), that first coin is not a 62...ICBW...but in that picture I am not sure I would grad it a 60. I have a lot of Kennedy's so feel confident here. If you do not care about resale, do what you want, if you care about maximizing value, send to PCGS.... however, based on pictures, you may be disappointed. Cheers, RickO
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save your money. Just leave them as they are. Based on your photos I think you would be very, very disappointed in your results.

Is there really a market for what you want to have slabbed?

All glory is fleeting.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I guess I am asking some advice from those of you who have used these firms.....is $20 per coin unreasonable if the coin itself would be worth around $50? I mean if I can do them for $10 and get the CAM designation, then why not use ANACS? I would love to send them all to NGC but I would never recover my funds. On the AH, that could well be worth it but that would be the only one and what happens if I send that 1889s Morgan that I used acetone to get the acrylic off of and they do not slab it, pay them another $12 to restore it?

What guidelines do you use? $200 and greater coins?

I would just like to get a conversation started about them from the perspective of the hobbyist without deep pockets.,,,,,

No one would send a 1964 half in if they knew it would come back only MS63 CAM in the case of the ANACS above. It just doesn't make sense. I can see hoping for a MS67 CAM and getting a MS65 CAM...that seems plausible.
    Ethan >>

Everyone has their own reasons for having coins graded or regraded, and the company they choose to certify them. There is no question that PCGS is the leader, that NGC is well respected and that coins in these holders generally sell for more. Every other third party grading company is farther down the ladder.

Is it worth spending $20 to grade a $50 coin? Not IMO. But that's up to you. I draw the line around $200.

Would I choose ANACS over PCGS to save a few dollars? No, because I'd probably lose more than I saved when it comes time to sell it. But there are sometimes other reasons to use ANACS -- when PCGS won't accept the coin/token/variety, e.g.

You said "if I was going to be selling these then the top 2 would be a slam dunk but I plan on keeping these till I croak." We've all said that before. LOL.

Have fun with your coins!
    Lance.
  • EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    Guys I think there is a misunderstanding. I would NOT send any of these to be re-slabbed. These are some of my benchmark coins that I use to grade.

I was talking about raw coins like the AH I have in the other post. I think the $200 benchmark is a good one.

I think I have decided to just forgo sending any in, I will put them in my own nice slabs and use the money to get more additions.

Thanks for the reply's guys..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file