Options

Can anyone tell what these coins are?

image[/URL]
image[/URL]
The cupid reverse has a date of 1846

Comments

• Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Well the obvious is chinese cash coins. Don't know anything about cupid though. The four coins seem to be common. I don't remember ever seeing the smaller one though. There are a lot of experts here on the forumn on these cash coins. I am sure that they will be piping up soon.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I want to say that the one coin is from Mexico. I do not have my book handy to let you know for sure.
  • Options
    The brass coin with angel is a Mexican provincial coin.. these were typically struck 1830's to 1860's
  • Options
    The Mexican coin is a state copper (actually, it's most likely brass) from Zacatecas.
  • Options
    The leftmost coins are Ch'ien Lung (reign title) Emperor Kao Tsung 1736-1795, The top of the top coin is pointing left. The top of the bottom coin is pointing right.
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    For the Mexican coin, look at 1/4 reals - KM#366 or 367.

The other five coins are chinese cash. The three with four characters up (obverse) are all Qing Dynasty dating from 1736-1795. The two with two characters up are Qing, but without the front, it is hard to determine the range of mintage.
  • Options
    MrBreeze is correct. All the Chinese cash coins that I can make out including the bottom middle are from 1736-1795. I have corrected my previous post.
  • Options
    Bossman88Bossman88 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    Thank you all for the great info.
    I received these in a batch of Canadian coins I bought on Monday to send to my granddaughter for her 14th birthday next week.

Regards, Larry
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    If you show us the fronts and backs of the Qing coins we can figure out the mints.