Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Eagles of Akragas

I've posted this coin before, and was hoping to acquire its larger brother at a recent auction but unfortunately was significantly outbid. However, the writeup added some helpful historical context (and I recently took much better pictures of it) so I thought everyone might be interested in it here:

"The coinage of Akragas consistently depicted the crab and eagle since its earliest issue of the sixth century BC, and the best engravers were recruited to render these symbols of the city in the finest possible style. Late in the fifth century the coinage of the city underwent a remarkable transformation; like many of the cities of Sicily such as Messana and Syracuse, a renaissance began that saw numismatic art reach new heights of intricacy and magnificence. The traditional types were transformed, and the metamorphosis could not have been more pronounced - the previously static types are replaced by dynamic scenes full of activity and energy.

This particular design of the two eagles may have been inspired by the omen received by Agamemnon and Menelaos in Aeschylos' Agamemnon, where two eagles, representing the two kings, devoured a pregnant hare, an allusion to the forthcoming destruction of city of Troy. Such was the fate of Troy, and also of Akragas which was sacked and razed by the Carthaginians in 406 BC. Thus was this brief flourishing of vibrant art in Akragas brutally put to a premature end."

I'll quote another auction house for a description about this coin in particular:

"This splendid coin is truly one of the finest of all known fractions from Sicily. The engraving is meticulously detailed, the animals lifelike in every way, and the composition is a triumph of coin design. When compared with other contemporary issues from Akragas, such as the famous Skylla tetradrachm (as Basel 258 and Kraay/Hirmer 175) and that with the fly symbol (Kraay/Hirmer 177), there can be no doubt that the same master engraver was involved. It seems likely that this obol must have been a special issue; apparently all the known examples of the type come from the same die pair and it was, obviously, not designed for mass circulation. In any event, the beauty of this tiny coin is yet another piece of evidence to show how fanatically proud the Sicilians were of their coinages and how far they would go to obtain the very finest artists of the day to make them."

Obol (Silver, 0.79 g 1), c. 410-406 BC. Two eagles standing right on dead hare, the one in front with closed wings and its head thrown back screaming in triumph, the one behind with wings open and head turned down, tearing at its prey with its beak. Rev. Crab with between its claws; below, grouper (polyprium cernium) swimming to right. Basel 263 = SNG Lockett 519 (same dies). Rizzo pl. III, 6 (same dies). SNG Lloyd 829 (same dies). Very rare. Beautifully toned, a superb coin of the finest style. Extremely fine.

To help show just how small this coin is, here it is next to a US cent:

Suffice to say, engravers in the ancient world were quite impressive!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options

I don't think I've seen this design before

Lovely detail on such a small coin as an obol
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Crazy how detailed that is for the age. I'd love to see a modern remake. Might be one of my new favorite ancient designs.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Lovely detail on such a small coin as an obol >>

I agree - there is a tetradrachm and a dekadrachm with similar designs, the latter of which costs only a few million dollars more than I can afford. Here's the most recent sale of one, for just under $3M, BP included: Akragas dekadrachm
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That is a really lovely obol.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagles, schmeagles.

It's the crabs I like on these, for some reason, and the fish, too.

I guess it's 'cause you see eagles on coins all the time. But crustaceans? Not as often.

That size comparison shot with the US cent gives a lot of context. Without it, I'd have been picturing a bigger, tetradrachm-sized coin, I suppose.

And seeing how relatively small it is, it is all the more impressive as a masterpiece of the engraver's art. Amazing what those ancient Greek engravers were capable of, so long ago.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    outside of these and the tiny crawfish on the reverse of Apollonia Pontika silver coins can we think of any others depicting crustaceans?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>outside of these and the tiny crawfish on the reverse of Apollonia Pontika silver coins can we think of any others depicting crustaceans? >>

There are quite a few - the first that springs to mind are some of the lobster hektes, and some of the zodiac coinage which includes Cancer. All this talk of crab and lobster is making me hungry...
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I expected a large coin to have this much detail, wow that is amazing!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.