Home Precious Metals
Options

The dollar vs. gold

derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why the dollar cannot be devalued and why gold is a threat

"Since the dollar is the reserve currency of all Central Banks in the world, all other currencies, the euro included, are only derivatives of the dollar. The proof of this statement is that the value of each and every currency in the world is calculated in dollars. The world's currencies are devalued or revalued against the dollar in the world's currency markets every day of the year."

"The US cannot declare an official devaluation of the dollar because there is nothing against which it may devalue, or rather, it does not wish to recognize the existence of gold as money, against which it might devalue. A rising price of gold does not devalue the dollar, because there is no official link between gold and the dollar. The world's monetary and financial systems have no link to gold. Gold can be any price without causing any effect upon those systems. We have seen gold at $1900 dollars per ounce, and things were running just as they were when gold was $300 dollars per ounce."

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold can be any price without causing any effect upon those systems. We have seen gold at $1900 dollars per ounce, and things were running just as they were when gold was $300 dollars per ounce."

Hard to argue with that.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rupees, yuan, rubles, euros, pesos, sterling, .....?

I'll take the USdollar for $800, Alex.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Its a little spooky because if its not tied (then unrelated to) some money system somehow, as the fiat baseless systems seem to be prevalent,
    and the appearance of it not being related to money value in some way, maybe it could actually go flat as well.
    COA
  • Options
    the value of money is determined by how much labor one will trade for it. Money is just a medium of exchange. It need not be anything more. The guy making minimum wage values his dollar a whole lot more than does the $100 an hour professional.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah the complexities of the financial world and the monumental structure of nothingness that has been constructed based on zero value, but considered the medium for all material (and non-material) exchanges. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the article points out, China has seen this movie before and is planning accordingly. The dollar most certainly is being devalued. Not officially, because that would cause the politicians more headaches than their crappy policies have already caused - but if you truly think that the dollar isn't being devalued then it is you in the make-believe world, not someone who holds precious metals.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>As the article points out, China has seen this movie before and is planning accordingly. The dollar most certainly is being devalued. Not officially, because that would cause the politicians more headaches than their crappy policies have already caused - but if you truly think that the dollar isn't being devalued then it is you in the make-believe world, not someone who holds precious metals. >>

The article is pointing out that the dollar cannot be devalued, say overnight, by official decree. When it was tied to gold all it took was an announcement of a change in the "official" price of gold.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The definition of money as "a medium of exchange and a store of value" has been around for a long time. Since 1964 this hasn't been the case in the US, partially because of the demonetization of silver. I have a hunch that the nature of money hasn't been changed just because the US government said so. I think that we all contribute to the definition of money in the long run, and perception surely has something to do with it. As long as governments can maintain the perception that fiat has value, there will always be confusion over the definition of money.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    what about revaluing gold?...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what about revaluing gold?... >>

Anything can be revalued.

How about this scenerio, today an ounce of gold is worth about the same as a cow. One cow = one ounce gold. Now suppose we get the eagerly anticipated doomsday scenario and the grocery stores are empty. How much gold are you gonna have to pay to get that to feed your family? 1oz, 2 oz, 10 oz, or maybe no amount of gold could buy that cow? Gold could easily lose 1/2 its value overnight.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One cow = one ounce gold. >>

Can you please translate to unsalted raw almonds!

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>One cow = one ounce gold. >>

Can you please translate to unsalted raw almonds!

about 125 lbs
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

If gold is $20 per ounce or $2K, I can work on the spread.
    Dollars are dollars. They work faster than checks or credit cards.

• Options

<< <i>what about revaluing gold?... >>

When the US quit redeeming gold for dollars it lost the power to set the price of gold. Gold is now revalued daily by the market.

• Options
    very surprised u smart guys dont know what im referring too...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    means u smarter

• Options
    keceph `anah