Home Precious Metals
Options

WARNING.... Bad "Proof" Prospector.

Where else but fleabay .... image

1984 of course.

Keep on Stack'n !!
(Just NOT these!)
Silver Baron
Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you take exception to the term 'proof'...otherwise it is just bullion ... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I assume you take exception to the term 'proof'...otherwise it is just bullion ... Cheers, RickO >>

fake bullion. wrong finish for prospectors.
    made in china

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, did not pick up on that....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good post
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Just to reiterate what I'm sure has been reported here many times...
    There are proof engelhard 1oz silver prospectors...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    There are proof engelhard 1oz silver prospectors

What's the tell tale difference? The china version looks the same as the one being offered by the 70k+ feedback eBayer.
    Surely an eBayer with that kind of selling experience in silver such as them would not knowingly sell a chinese fake, would they?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are proof engelhard 1oz silver prospectors

What's the tell tale difference? The china version looks the same as the one being offered by the 70k+ feedback eBayer.
    Surely an eBayer with that kind of selling experience in silver such as them would not knowingly sell a chinese fake, would they? >>

Its best to learn the characteristics of the 1984 fakes. One of the tell tale signs can be seen of the reverse (broken circle).

I wrote to the seller telling him it is a fake. He has not responded - perhaps he is not checking his messages over the weekend. I have purchased from the seller before. Its odd to me the seller is not aware of these obvious fakes.

rawteam1 is precisely right. Genuine Engelhard proof prospectors do exist. They are merely uncommon.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just to reiterate what I'm sure has been reported here many times...
    There are proof engelhard 1oz silver prospectors... >>

yes there are proof prospectors. none were issued in 1984. The Big E reverse was used in 1982 and 1983 , 1000 mintage each.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Its best to learn the characteristics of the 1984 fakes. One of the tell tale signs can be seen of the reverse (broken circle).

The 999's look very funky too, along with the "bull" symbol too. I don't usually buy these but this is good info. in case I come across some for what I think is a good price.
    Thanks to those who are willing to share their knowledge and not keep it guarded like a 4 of a kind card hand and simply just say "fake", but don't provide any info.

I know, I heard it before. We shouldn't talk publicly about what the things to look for are because the counterfeiters are wtahcing and taking notes. That's a good defense, but it only goes so far in my book. If we continue to share info., then that forces the hand of the counterfeiter to change. Not talking about it allows them to keep selling what they've already made as counterfeit. jmho.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    No thumb in pan...
    No water ripples left of pan...

Edit to add one should try to see if they can identify the differences themselves, as it will sharpen your skills...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just to reiterate what I'm sure has been reported here many times...
    There are proof engelhard 1oz silver prospectors... >>

yes there are proof prospectors. none were issued in 1984. The Big E reverse was used in 1982 and 1983 , 1000 mintage each. >>

I have a 1986 proof also...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
  • Options
    Seller pulled the auction:

"Hi, I am going to pull it off and test it."

Hopefully he did not purchase too many of the fakes.