Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

King's Norton Mint collection?

Bought a coin with this pedigree...and I can't find a few vital facts of information:

1) when were these first offered?
2) by whom?
3) how many of each individual coin?

The coin I'm talking about has a few examples in the Heritage archives in which they state "only a few struck" yet the PCGS populations show well over a dozen pieces certified...

It's a 1936-KN British West Africa Specimen 2 Shillings. Despite the high number of certified pieces I can't find any others for sale, unfortunately.

Anyone has more information?

Dennis

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    1. Don't remember but in the last 10-15 years I believe, maybe early 2000's
    2. I think most of them went through one auction house but don't remember which one
    3. I don't know of any references that list actual mintage for each coin

It was a pretty large collection with examples of most on the specimen and proof coins the Kings Norton mint made for various countries and maintained in the mint collection. Most are very scarce if not rare, while a dozen may not meet the dictionary definition of few, it still isn't very many. Sorry I can't remember any of the details, but its tough when you get old.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karl Stephens is currently selling some coins from the KN archives. Perhaps he would know.

And James Ricks has had some in the past, so try asking him as well.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Google reveals a few Baldwin auctions with lots that reference "ex-King's Norton Mint". Perhaps you can reach out to them to put you in touch with one of the people that prepare the catalogues for more information? Just a thought.
  • JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭
    I know they also struck some Lithuanian uniface coins from the
    same time frame with the king Norton pedigree.

edit to add:

My book lists the Lithuanian uniface coins having a rarity of RRRR. Nowhere
    in the book does it say a numerical equivalent range.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • @Dennis88 said:
    Bought a coin with this pedigree...and I can't find a few vital facts of information:

1) when were these first offered?
    2) by whom?
    3) how many of each individual coin?

The coin I'm talking about has a few examples in the Heritage archives in which they state "only a few struck" yet the PCGS populations show well over a dozen pieces certified...

It's a 1936-KN British West Africa Specimen 2 Shillings. Despite the high number of certified pieces I can't find any others for sale, unfortunately.

Anyone has more information?

Dennis

All should be shown in the PCGS Population Report.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2019 6:46PM

I bought some of the very first to appear when I was living in Dublin and Manchester...these came from the archives of the Birmingham Mint from what I understand. I have hypothesized that these are like printers samples where by the mint was trying to solicit business from countries and provided a sample to demonstrate their capability.

If I had the time I bet one would quickly find that most of the countries represented in the King Norton's mint used another country to produce the nations coinage. London Mint, Philly, etc.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the Irish pieces first appeared on the market I gobbled them up...they were from the mid to late 70's. While waiting for my (ex)wife in a mall in Dublin I bought all that were available on eBay via Atlas. That day I had a collector in Cork offer me $7500 for the pieces I bought for about $1500 by contacting Atlas. Fastest flip I ever had!

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is impressive! I have gotten the odd bit here and there if they were from countries that I collect.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.