Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dont open this thread unless you like proof Morgans NEWP. 11/7/14 UPDATE!! true view plus a small up

USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I've decided to slim down to the box of 20 style of collecting. After selling a good chunk in the past week I was able to pick this up and couldn't be happier. Im not set up to take quality pics so straight on shots of proofs are hard me but was able to take some angle shots of the coin to show the true look of it. The coin has a little bit of a gun metal look with cobalt blue toning around the rim and eagle. It lacks the hairlines normally found on the 61and 62's so I'm thinking a reconsideration may be in order in the future but if it dosen't upgrade I'm happy with the OGH. Any comments are welcome and If you have a proof morgan to share feel free to do so. Ill also try and take some better pics when I have more time.

Comments

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Can't go wrong with that one
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Wow wow image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The epitome of what I enjoy collecting!
    Thanks for sharing. Beautiful Morgan.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, I love these!
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Quite attractive. Someday the market will fully appreciate the scarcity of the proof Nineteenth Century coins.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I image this one....

Someday, I too will have a Proof Morgan, and I would love it to look like this image
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    Nice coin, I have a feeling though its not the lack of hairlines as much as the surfaces of the mirrored fields holding this back in grade.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Quite attractive. Someday the market will fully appreciate the scarcity of the proof Nineteenth Century coins. >>

??? pretty sure they already do, for example that is a 4 figure coin and the business strike counter part is barely above melt in that range. Considering they aren't that rare starting in the 1870s, that is saying something. There are many dates in the seated series where the proof populations are multiples bigger than the opposite.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, proof Morgans seem rare compared to business strike coins, yet more common overall than superb gem business strike coins of most years. Usually, with mint state coins, it's the bagmarks that limit the grade, with proofs it's usually the hairlines from being wiped. This one, from a year later than yours, is also a PCGS 62

imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    The toning is awesome and it's way nicer than a 62. I also think it's an MS.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    That sure is a pretty one image
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding.
    Would like to get me a Proof Morgan someday.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    JGnumismaticsJGnumismatics Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Very nice find, and superb eye appeal with that cobalt toning. That should fetch a large premium in any setting. Great coin!

JG
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    or just type in JGnumismatics into google
    PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member
    Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently sold this one.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reconsideration first. I can't grade from pictures, but it looks like a lock for a bean as a 62 and worth around 63 money. Could be a nice 63, since it's very wholesome (from some angles). Your picture sucks. Your coin doesn't. . . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also think it's an MS. >>

PCGS was built for people like you...and I'm not talking about Internet trolls image

Erik
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a Beautiful proof Morgan...I love it!

Congrats,
    Erik
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking 62....show us a straight-on pic, too....I'm always going to vote to KEEP the OGH, especially in this case where it seems like your plan is to hold and appreciate the coin in your Box of 20.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the toning on your 1882 PR, sharp looking Morgan. Proof Morgans have always been at the top of my coin list of a must have. I like showing my black and white DMPL's up against this 1886 to compare the mirror fields and cameo contrast. I have 65 DMPL's that can't compete with this PR62 for looks.

Photography by BluCC, Todd Pollock photographer.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments and posting of some other nice proofs. Ill try and take a straight on shot of the coin today and post it if I can get a decent one.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof Morgans are awesome.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I kind of like the angle shot. It shows great depth on the devices and how crisp the angles are. I've not owned a proof Morgan. This might inspire me.
    Paul
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose there might be some folks who don't like proof Morgans but I do! Nice coin and can't wait to see some more photos...thanks for posting.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    Adding a few more pics tonight but again getting ones of this proof is proving to be challenging.
  • Options
    Just sent this puppy in to be reconsidered and was able to squeeze out a 62+. I hatted having to lose the OGH but Im happy with the results.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!

• Options
    JGnumismaticsJGnumismatics Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Electric blue all the way!!! Nice little plus bump in grade tooimage
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I needs me one of dem
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I needs me one of dem
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Now you have a great photo and a solid grade. Congrats man. I'm a proof lover and I love the blues on this baby. Very cool.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Not a big fan of Morgans, but those are just plain outstanding coins. Maybee I like Morgans after all.image
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done on the bump.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin, proof Morgans seem rare compared to business strike coins, yet more common overall than superb gem business strike coins of most years. Usually, with mint state coins, it's the bagmarks that limit the grade, with proofs it's usually the hairlines from being wiped. This one, from a year later than yours, is also a PCGS 62

imageimage >>

Wow, both the OP's coin and this one are very nice. Hard to see from the photos why they came in at at only 62.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice coin, proof Morgans seem rare compared to business strike coins, yet more common overall than superb gem business strike coins of most years. Usually, with mint state coins, it's the bagmarks that limit the grade, with proofs it's usually the hairlines from being wiped. This one, from a year later than yours, is also a PCGS 62

imageimage >>

Wow, both the OP's coin and this one are very nice. Hard to see from the photos why they came in at at only 62. >>

Agreed, the tru view of the OP's looks to be at least a 64 proof
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would never think of disobeying a command from a marine ,… but will make an exception for "coins". .… image Semper Fi….. fi…… fine

… as wine.

Nice "plus", too. In addition, at least PCGS got the "old label". That's okay.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice "plus", too. In addition, at least PCGS got the "old label". That's okay. >>

Who else would get it? Has anyone ever crossed an OGH over to ATS? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file