Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 Baseball Hall Of Fame*

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do these coins deserve an asterisk?

They look "juiced" to me.

They may be popular but will they have staying power with our traditional collectors?

Will flippers get Barry'd?

Is the Mint entering a new era?

Will there be a general strike?

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I have my doubts on this coin. 1.2 million across all options also.

Would this coin be as popular as the Buffalo Silver in 2001?

First weeks sales may tell us that, though the 50,000 gold coin option could sell out rather quickly. I will not speculate (flip) on this one. Probably just buy one of each option. If the the 70s are cheap enough may just go that route. Maybe all PCGS First Strikes if the premiums are not high.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting departure..... however, I hope this is not the beginning of gimmickry from the mint....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    first thing I'm going to do with mine is oil it up and tie a string around it to get a deeper pocket and more flexibility. image
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Attendance may be lacking.
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

<< <i>first thing I'm going to do with mine is oil it up and tie a string around it to get a deeper pocket and more flexibility. image >>

LOL - You brought back some memories.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put me in Coach, look at me......

I can be, Center Field......
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict there will be a lack of 70's due to the curve-ball design...so I think first strike 70's will be less than normal, like the 2012 S 2-coin set. Anytime the U.S. Gov't tries something new; expect the worse image

Erik
  • Options
    Look, I'm not a sports fan by any means. Basketball? Who cares. Football? Ugh! But I understand baseball. And I appreciate it as a cultural icon of the country I call my home. I also, from an aesthetic standpoint, appreciate how dead simple the design is - there's a sort of purity about it.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to be tricky to get photos in focus
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    These coins are a home run. Who decreed coins need to be round flat disks, anyway? I get tired of all the colorized stuff from other mints, but I think this is a cool innovation.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Look, I'm not a sports fan by any means. Basketball? Who cares. Football? Ugh! But I understand baseball. And I appreciate it as a cultural icon of the country I call my home. I also, from an aesthetic standpoint, appreciate how dead simple the design is - there's a sort of purity about it. >>

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Going to be tricky to get photos in focus >>

I'll try to get some photos to you all from Balto. Not bringing my good camera but my Nikon AW100 takes O.K. marco. We'll see w/the curved design.

I'll throw in some photos of the lines as well. W/the special labels, Brooks Robinson, etc, it will be mad.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Need lots of light and high F-stops to get them all in focus. Try it during the 7th-inning stretch!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live close enough to Cooperstown that any time I need a dose of "bez-bowl bin baddy goood to me", I'll just visit there. Having a symbol of the BHOF on a coin ? Nah. image

"Put me in cold !" I'm ready to play !" image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, beat the drum and hold the phone, the Sun came out today,
    We're born again, there's new grass on the field...

Centerfield

The best song ever.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Look, I'm not a sports fan by any means. Basketball? Who cares. Football? Ugh! But I understand baseball. And I appreciate it as a cultural icon of the country I call my home. I also, from an aesthetic standpoint, appreciate how dead simple the design is - there's a sort of purity about it. >>

Well, PCGSPhoto, you will have the challange of trying to make these look good for Trueview. These are part of the PCGS Quarterly Grading Special, so I'm sure there'll be lots for you to do. I think the novelty is cool. I'll be getting the silver and clad of all varieties, but gold is out of my range at this time.
    Paul
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go warsh yer hands, and wait a few days before you boost this thread again image
  • Options
    I won't buy it because you can't put it in your album.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I won't buy it because I can't put it in my album. >>

Fixed it for ya. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    Gold Proof/Unc prices now posted
    Proof $429.75
    Unc $424.75

Proof
    Unc
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the gold issues will be a grand slam. 1st week sellout, maybe even the first day.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the gold issues will be a grand slam. 1st week sellout, maybe even the first day. >>

I am thinking I will buy into this and get more than one in the hopes of selling to recover part of the cost of what I keep.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>I think the gold issues will be a grand slam. 1st week sellout, maybe even the first day. >>

Agree... there's no order limit.
  • Options

Maybe so but I know I'll never get to second base with these.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting the "Ichiro" to buy one of these. (that reference will separate the true fans of the sport from the casual fan) Good luck to all of the speculators!
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I won't buy it because you can't put it in your album. >>

I'm thinking I'll get one of half's and flatten it out
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    The Mint may be grandstanding on the interest in these coins.
  • Options
    WilliamWilliam Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    The Mint has just imposed order limits on the coins. Link to Coin World article

We'll be monitoring everyone's experiences tomorrow when sales begin at the Mint. Good luck to all who are ordering the coins.

William T. Gibbs
    News Editor
    Coin World
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    50 limit on the gold coins at 50K total mintage. it should have been limited to 5 than lifted after a month to gage sales like in the past. It would be easy to corner the market and shut out the collector. I am sure Coin Vault will have all their employees buying.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will PCGS be offering 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strike labels?
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you William.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 of each version of the gold. Incredible. You'd think that the Mint would have learned by now to have tight order limits initially. Will make for fast sell out and many collectors left to pay whatever the secondary market will bear.

Totally agree that limit of five would have much more sense.

I predict very fast sell out of gold options and the Mint catching a lot of flack for absurdly high limits.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will PCGS be offering 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strike labels? >>

• Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint has just imposed order limits on the coins. Link to Coin World article

We'll be monitoring everyone's experiences tomorrow when sales begin at the Mint. Good luck to all who are ordering the coins.

William T. Gibbs
    News Editor
    Coin World >>

Thanks William... I'll be ordering a few for sure. Makes me wonder if the mint is just testing the waters with such a "leap" with the design.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting departure..... however, I hope this is not the beginning of gimmickry from the mint....Cheers, RickO >>

you and me both. Please US Mint, don't go Franklin Mint on us!!!
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Best post of the day.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting departure..... however, I hope this is not the beginning of gimmickry from the mint....Cheers, RickO >>

If a fully articulated Rubick's cube commem follows, we'll have our answer.
  • Options
    Opening Day is rain delayed…stuck in the dugout.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Best post of the day. >>

And if your waiting list order gets cancelled the Mint ump could send you a " yyeeerrrrrrrr outa herrreeeeee " cancelation

email.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Needless to say that I am a baseball fan and wanted a couple of the silver proofs for my collection. I ordered on April 15 and in July they told me I am on the waiting list. By August 25, they told me its all sold out. A rep will help me choose an alternative if I call.

I thought I got my order in early enough. And what is this business that a rep from the US MINT can work with me for an alternative? Does that mean they will give me something like free shipping to compensate?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>Needless to say that I am a baseball fan and wanted a couple of the silver proofs for my collection. I ordered on April 15 and in July they told me I am on the waiting list. By August 25, they told me its all sold out. A rep will help me choose an alternative if I call.

I thought I got my order in early enough. And what is this business that a rep from the US MINT can work with me for an alternative? Does that mean they will give me something like free shipping to compensate? >>

It sounds like you're in negotiations of an unknown (to you) contract...time to be a free agent. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Needless to say that I am a baseball fan and wanted a couple of the silver proofs for my collection. I ordered on April 15 and in July they told me I am on the waiting list. By August 25, they told me its all sold out. A rep will help me choose an alternative if I call.

I thought I got my order in early enough. And what is this business that a rep from the US MINT can work with me for an alternative? Does that mean they will give me something like free shipping to compensate? >>

It sounds like you're in negotiations of an unknown (to you) contract...time to be a free agent. image >>

Sounds like the mint representative is offering to help you find another mint product to buy as if their coin merchandise is somehow interchangeable and of equal interest and desirability.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It sounds like you're in negotiations of an unknown (to you) contract...time to be a free agent. image >>

Sounds like the mint representative is offering to help you find another mint product to buy as if their coin merchandise is somehow interchangeable and of equal interest and desirability. >>

Yes, they have around 270,000 of those amazingly desirable civil rights commens available. image
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many reusable tote bags is it going to take to compensate for not getting the silver proof? image
    I think you can get the coins for not too much over issue.
    Of course it would have been nice if they didn't string you along for 4 months.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you are dealing with some "third-party" seller. I don't believe the US Mint has any such service. Are you sure you are dealing with www.usmint.com ?

(l8-)>>

• Options
    Thank you everyone for contributing!

Edgar, it is the US MINT that I am dealing with for sure. I do not like to buy proof coins from third parties because I have no idea where they have been. Capsules get opened, coins touched, fingerprints left behind, etc. I wanted to avoid all that and get it directly from the source. I like silver or gold proof coins (US MINT) with a baseball theme or the Olympics. The mint does not have any of those on the website right now.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

All right, I had to look it up. Something didn't add up here.

A notice that the silver HoF coins were sold out was put on the mint web site on April 9, and that any further orders being taken would be put on a waiting list. If you ordered on April 15, you should have known the issue was sold out.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you everyone for contributing!

Edgar, it is the US MINT that I am dealing with for sure. I do not like to buy proof coins from third parties because I have no idea where they have been. Capsules get opened, coins touched, fingerprints left behind, etc. I wanted to avoid all that and get it directly from the source. I like silver or gold proof coins (US MINT) with a baseball theme or the Olympics. The mint does not have any of those on the website right now. >>

What if the US MINT sells returns as new? image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Zoins,

Returned coins being sold as new from the US MINT? They were probably returned because something was wrong with them.

Backroadjunkie,

I did not know that the coins were sold out on April 9. I did not look at the website so carefully. I got a postcard in the mail featuring the HOF coins and thought that I want this and place the order some days later.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file