Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Gem Mint Medal with a neat pedigree. Who wants to do a bit more detective work??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 3, 2017 7:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum
This "walked into the shop" the other day and my boss sold it to me at a reasonable price, today I brought it home. While I was at work my curiosity got the best of me and I did a quick search of the name embossed on the case, Anna P. Loag. Not much is available, only her year of birth being 1865 and some census data from 1880 Philadelphia. That fits and would have meant the young woman was 11 years old and attended the Celebration in or near her hometown. I imagine her family was perhaps wealthy or at least well-off and the medal was a gift(no proof, just supposition). I have no idea who had possession of it in the intervening years or how long Ms. Loag may have lived, but whoever had it took great care of it. The surfaces are remarkably pristine and considering that the case is prone to moisture absorption there is very little spotting. I feel fortunate to have acquired it and though it is a relatively common item and I already own a nice example, this one has that "extra" which is what makes the Hobby so much fun.

Al H.

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She married Charles C. Chase in Philadelphia in 1891...
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    Was living in Montreal Canada until 1944, when she returned to the US with proof of being born in Philadelphia on May 24th 1865. And then she returned to Canada.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neato!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome looking medal and history with that one. I would have picked it up as well. Congrats on the pick up and thanks for sharing!

• Beautiful medal! The medal, box, and story behind it really gives the feeling of touching history.
    After Anna P. Chase returned to Canada late in 1944 I find no further record of her. She was then 79 years old. It doesn't mean something happened to her then, just no further records.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the added info, Saor!!image

I was just telling my boss yesterday that if there's ever anything I need to know related to Numismatics there is someone at this NutRanch who either has the answer or knows how to get it. here is another example and I'm sure given enough time and effort we could trace almost anyone or anything. the internet just fascinates me.image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful medal Keets.... Congratulations...Cheers, RickO
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2017 5:01AM

from time-to-time I search "Anna P. Loag" or just the last name in hopes of finding out something more about the original owner. the other day I came up with the link at the bottom of this post. it's to an eBay auction for a print from 1873 by a man named Samuel Loag who had a printing business in Philadelphia. the coincidence struck me as odd.

curiously, Mr. Loag's mother was named Ann and his wife was named Anna, with whom he had four daughters. perhaps a member who is more adept at searching the web can take this further along. I am sort of intrigued to know what became of Ms. Loag's descendants and where they are located.

ebay.com/itm/141987334878?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice piece.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file