Home Precious Metals
Options

What do y'all generally pay for ASEs?

I'm just asking for a general idea. I "think" I do pretty well in finding low prices but I'd like to see what the experts here typically pay over spot for average ASEs - not proofs or anything else special.

I prefer to hear from "individuals" rather than dealers, since I'm not a dealer...

Thanks in advance!
Successful BST: VPR, nederveit, RR, Littletweed

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm willing to pay $3 over spot + a reasonable delivery charge.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $2.00 above spot !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it takes anything below $2 to get my attention.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>it takes anything below $2 to get my attention. >>

Thanks for the replies so far! I recently got 50 at spot+2 and 14 at spot+1.50 so I guess I'm about good...

derryb - I'm leaning that direction also but only because I've had some luck recently. It seems like everyone wants spot+$5 or even higher. Is there any specific place to find lower than spot+2? Flea markets?

Thanks again
  • Options

<< <i>Is there any specific place to find lower than spot+2? >>

Normally, not with an internet sale. JM bullion and dbscoins seem to have the best internet prices when buying volume.

• Options
    Considering that the mint sells them at spot +$2 if you can get them for that or under you're doing well.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've paid anywhere from $8 to $15 each for ASEs.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I buy tonite at say $460 a roll [$23 apiece] and spot jumps to $25, I'd be happier than a pig in a new mudhole to sell them to you at spot + $2. If you plan to buy from the big bullion houses, you will be hard pressed to get them for spot + $2. Generally, I'd like to get a couple bux over cost when I sell. I can live with a buy price of $2.70 or so over spot. If you can get them at current spot plus $2, I'd say that's pretty good. Of course it depends on who you are buying from and how much they paid.

Like yourself, I am not a dealer. I buy at a certain price [or cost average to that price] and hold until the price of silver goes up enough to make selling worthwhile. If you are going to sell here, you probably would need to be price competitive with the big bullion sellers. If I see someone asking $510 a roll when JM is at $495, I'm not interested.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I inquired about 6 rolls of '14's locally in a shop Saturday and they wanted Spot + $4.50...and that was their "deal" price if I bought all 6 rolls.
    So I layed some reverse sicology (I know I spelled it wrong) on them and said, "surely you're replacement cost isn't that high" image After a long pause she said, "no, but I have been selling them for $25 + tax individually, and with 6 rolls it makes it look like I have some silver in the (show)case."

Then I asked what they would pay because I have 10 rolls in the car (which I didn't) that I'd kind of like to sell because I think silver is going to drop like a rock soon.
    She said, "umm (burp, fart...because she honestly seemed a little liquored up, and this was at 11 AM) we're not buying anything right now."

This was NOT one of the normal places I frequent locally, actually a jewelry store that I've been meaning to check out. Now that I know what their game is, I'll be staying away, very far away.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    maybe one of our big dealers will chime in with what premium the mint is charging the handfull of authorized buyers or what premium the authorized buyers are charging the dealers. I believe it starts out at at least $2 from the mint.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

nucleo exchange rolls

nucleo by the coin

I haven't used them in a while but the vig was 1% on nucleo trades I think it still is.

You can buy from the catalog for about 50 cents each more

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>it takes anything below $2 to get my attention. >>

Thanks for the replies so far! I recently got 50 at spot+2 and 14 at spot+1.50 so I guess I'm about good...

derryb - I'm leaning that direction also but only because I've had some luck recently. It seems like everyone wants spot+$5 or even higher. Is there any specific place to find lower than spot+2? Flea markets?

Thanks again >>

Your best bet is to find someone like yourself who isn't a dealer. You could try putting a WTB post on the BS&T board and see if that brings any action.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Local retail around here is +$3.50 min.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Local retail around here is +$3.50 min. >>

Wow...that's pretty good compared to my local coin shop. Went there on Friday to grab a few ASEs to top off a couple of tubes, he wanted $7 over spot plus tax. Walked out with nada.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.... if you can get $2 over spot, that is a good deal at this time.... anything better is a steal... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep.... if you can get $2 over spot, that is a good deal at this time.... anything better is a steal... Cheers, RickO >>

Agree 100%. With silver at $20, if you can find ASEs for $22 then it's an outstanding deal. I'll pay $460 a roll right now if anybody's willing to sell and even add in $10 for delivery.

• Options

<< <i>Yep.... if you can get $2 over spot, that is a good deal at this time.... anything better is a steal... Cheers, RickO >>

$2 over spot is a steal.
  • Options
    Gainesville coins has them for 2.49 over spot as I type this. Note this is for a monster box.
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Gainesville coins has them for 2.49 over spot as I type this. Note this is for a monster box. >>

Yeah...if only I could afford that volume! :-)
  • Options

<< <i>Gainesville coins has them for 2.49 over spot as I type this. Note this is for a monster box. >>

As does JMBullion for 500 coins.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I call BS on anything below $2.50 per on a consistent basis.
    Have I scored below $2.50? Sure..but if I only bought at that level I would not add much metal
    If I find a roll or less at $2.50 per...sold. And I apply that when I bought at $9 per oz or when I bought at $27 -stopped there image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    I have found several sources below $2.50 but it is not consistent. It's been all private parties who probably bought lower and just wanted quick profit.

I have a feeling some people just have a wider "net" to cast than I do. But I'm working on it...