Home Precious Metals
Options

You want to trade?

Always find it comical when someone approachs and wants to trade, but they want to make $200 on the deal.
With all things being equal, in the sense that both parties have sense enough that if you're going to trade, that current market value should be used for all items in the trade. Not using what they "feel" it's worth, you should use real world values minus fees, such as eBay is what should be done.
I'm finding more and more than when someone wants to trade, that's code for, "I'm buried in this and I am going to try and pull the wool over your eyes."
I will listen to someone who suggests a trade, but it's just another reason I almost never offer to trade. Not ranting, just something I find comical. It's the equivalent of thinking you're going to get one over on someone knowing full well they know the value of it LOL. I guess some would find it disrespectful, I LMAO to them.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    100% agree, when it's the "buyer" trying to get a better deal.

If it's the seller trying to get a better deal, that's acceptable to me.

If I advertise something for cash, and someone approaches me with a trade, I tell them right off that the trade must BENEFIT ME in order for me to forego a cash sale. In that case, I shamelessly try to get a better deal out of the trade. It's a matter of time-value of money. Cash now is worth more to me than cash later. So if you want to make me wait for my cash, there had better be an increase in value to make up for the wait. It's just economics...
    Successful BST: VPR, nederveit, RR, Littletweed
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a 9 foot fisher plow on craigslist for $500 and someone offered to trade me a ride on mower with a blown engine.image

Then he emailed again and told me to check my spam folder for the first email , because I must have missed his last message
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WILL TRADE: YOUR CASH FOR MY STUFF!image
  • Options
    If I'm selling something, it's usually because I want cash. The last thing I want is something different to have to sell in order to get that cash. Chances are that if you can't sell it readily for a good price, then I can't either. The last good trade I had was at a recent show where the dealer next to me wanted to trade a roll of 2010 ASEs for a roll of 2014s.
  • Options
    One night Bill Clinton walked up to the White House gate with a pig under each arm. The young guard at the gate naturally asked what was up. Bill says "Why these are 2 fine Arkansas razorback hogs. I got one for Chelsea and one for Hillary." To which the guard replied. "I'd say that was a good trade sir; I'd say that was a real good trade."
  • Options

<< <i>One night Bill Clinton walked up to the White House gate with a pig under each arm. The young guard at the gate naturally asked what was up. Bill says "Why these are 2 fine Arkansas razorback hogs. I got one for Chelsea and one for Hillary." To which the guard replied. "I'd say that was a good trade sir; I'd say that was a real good trade." >>

Excellent image
    Successful BST: VPR, nederveit, RR, Littletweed
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree, if the trade does not benefit me, then give me cash (the amount I ask for)... period!! Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I usually pay cash for items I want and prefer cash for items I sell. I did a few trades in the past and they did not work out well, now a trade will be well in my favor or no trade.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>100% agree, when it's the "buyer" trying to get a better deal.

If it's the seller trying to get a better deal, that's acceptable to me.

If I advertise something for cash, and someone approaches me with a trade, I tell them right off that the trade must BENEFIT ME in order for me to forego a cash sale. In that case, I shamelessly try to get a better deal out of the trade. It's a matter of time-value of money. Cash now is worth more to me than cash later. So if you want to make me wait for my cash, there had better be an increase in value to make up for the wait. It's just economics... >>

image Well said...
    To the OP's original post....I've been in those shoes as a poster on the BST....When someone want to offer you something at retail or more then trade for yours at wholesale even if thats what you have it listed for is just wasting someones time.... seems like a lot of young ones thinking they know how to con someone!image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that putting a value on each at the same time using sell prices from a site such as APMEX helps to ensure fairness.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find that putting a value on each at the same using sell prices from a site such as APMEX helps to ensure fairness. >>

I agree Derry.. just too many trolls thinking what they want to offer in trade is worth that but not yours.....And certainly in PM's pretty easy to see that most offerings here on the BST's are below what one can buy for online or in BM's. And yet someone wants to get items for those prices yet offer something they have at a premium... they are abound on our BST's.. you know who you are.image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "From Aristotle to Marx, men have mistakenly believed that an exchange records some sort of equality of value—that if one barrel of fish is exchanged for ten logs, there is some sort of underlying equality between them. Actually, the exchange was made only because each party valued the two products in different order." -- MURRAY N. ROTHBARD, Page 12

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, the exchange was made only because each party valued the two products in different order." >>

Very true, and each party needs to value the other property more than their own for a successful trade. This does not always happen...Cheers, RickO