Home Precious Metals

Replica coins now allowed on ebay?

derrybderryb Posts: 36,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
Be sure you look closely at ebay pics before buying:

Reported a coin marked copy as violating coin listing rules. Got a reply back - "I reviewed this listing and confirmed that bullion struck to look like legitimate currency is just fine, so long as it is listed in the correct category (Bullion). No action was taken on this listing."

Did an ebay customer support search for "coin policy" and came across this: "You may list replica coins provided they are plainly and permanently marked with the word "reproduction," "replica," or "copy."

Checked ebay coin and currency policy rules to see if this change has been updated, it has not.

Reported listing

Note the word copy under chin on obverse and seller's acknowledgement that coin is a copy in his description.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, no late night buying or the sorts.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, if the coin is plated, just like the one in your link and the seller does not disclose it, make sure it's reported. There are no "copy" or replica gold buffalo's. They are either silver with gold plating or base metal that has a golden appearance. Reported
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    eBay Nuked the item.image
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, reported again. This time Judith agreed. Go figure.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>yep, reported again. This time Judith agreed. Go figure. >>

I made Judith aware, that there are no solid gold reproductions or replicas. Furthermore the seller had it listed in the gold bullion category with a title description of .9999 gold.