Home U.S. Coin Forum

Show your duplicates

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the first time in my collection I acquired a duplicate date, and then a few days later it happened again. Not a strategic shift, just two chance opportunities to acquire dates which I thoroughly appreciate and support.

Here they are...post yours.

1842 $5 Large Letters AU50 CAC and AU53 CAC

1859-S $5 EF40 CAC and AU53 CAC

Comments

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically not dups but different varieties. image The second coin could be the twin to your 1838! First coin photo's courtesy of Todd, second from seller.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you bought that 39. I just saw that on the NE site not 2 minutes ago and cussed out loud that I missed it!
    lol sorry about that...I'm sure we'll be horse trading some day in the future. I was looking for the variety with color to match my AT open claw. Ever since you showed me that 1838 it kept knawing at me from the show. You got a great eye!
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>lol sorry about that...I'm sure we'll be horse trading some day in the future. I was looking for the variety with color to match my AT open claw. Ever since you showed me that 1838 it kept knawing at me from the show. You got a great eye! >>

The 38 in question...
    Yup, that's the one...they'd look good together in a dual holder. I looked at my AU graded 1838 and thought maybe a lower graded, but with eye appeal, would be better for me. I still feel that way.
    Rob, Andy Warhol has got nothing on you!!

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Technically not dups but different varieties. image The second coin could be the twin to your 1838! First coin photo's courtesy of Todd, second from seller.
    image >>

You made me a little happier today, without even knowing it!

My XF-40 1839 half looks A LOT like this one. And, frankly despite it being in an ANACS holder, I was a wee bit worried about it after looking at it over the last couple of days. The rough surface and color started to make me think....and worry....about the surfaces being original or being cleaned.

But seeing it's "twin" here, I feel better.

Carry on. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    I bought the first 1854-D $5 at the 2002 New York ANA, from Al Adams, via Doug Winter. It is graded AU55.

The second 1854-D came from Alpine Numismatics in 2003 and was my favorite in a small hoard of green label Dahlonega half eagles that Alpine handled at that time. I liked both pieces a lot, so I decided to keep. Upon calm reflection, one can't have too many pretty Dahlonega pieces. image

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am down to 5 1921 Morgans in PCGS PL. All CAC. Serious illness over here.

Alson down to 3 1902-O in DMPL of the 52 graded.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am down to 5 1921 Morgans in PCGS PL. All CAC. Serious illness over here.

Alson down to 3 1902-O in DMPL of the 52 graded. >>

It's probably genetic. How's the baby girl?
    For some reason I ended up with three 1991 ASE's . Bought for the color, not the date.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am down to 5 1921 Morgans in PCGS PL. All CAC. Serious illness over here.

Alson down to 3 1902-O in DMPL of the 52 graded. >>

It's probably genetic. How's the baby girl? >>

She is obviously miserable: image

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1814 E/A CBH's.
    Lance.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat idea for a thread, I can do several pairs, trips, and some quads, they will usually have the same date/mm but maybe from different die pairs, different toning, or something, here are some 1958 halves and 1926 dollars

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duplicate to whom? If you ask PCGS, these two 1839-O/O Dimes are one of the same. Seateddimevarities.com has them as being different Greer-104 and 104A. I think that ANACS flubbed it up and called the later one Greer-102. Anyway, I usually collect varieties for my Type Set, but I snagged the first one as an "ordinary" dime. The second was given to me in a "Secret Santa". The second dime although has been cleaned, has a crack through DIME which identifies the Greer-104a.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about duplicates within the same PCGS holder?

Two 1909-S pennies. image
    Lance.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Technically not dups but different varieties. image The second coin could be the twin to your 1838! First coin photo's courtesy of Todd, second from seller.
    image >>

Man-o-man, what a sweetie! image

Todd's photos sure blow NEN's outta the water by comparison, though the NEN pics are pretty nice looking.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I'll keep it to the duplicates. I have two issues with triplicates too ( Iowa and Bay Bridge).

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My duplicate Lincoln Set - its even in "plastic" for those who insist!image

WS

imageimage
    imageimage
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some time back I realized that collecting duplicates started to feel like hoarding, so I stopped doing it. To each his/her own by all means, but for me it was about if I found a nicer one, then I would sell the lesser one to keep the hoard manageable.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some time back I realized that collecting duplicates started to feel like hoarding, so I stopped doing it. To each his/her own by all means, but for me it was about if I found a nicer one, then I would sell the lesser one to keep the hoard manageable. >>

i get what you're saying. but consider george kellogg's 54-D half eagles, as an example. which of those beauties do you kick out of bed? image
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cant go wrong hoarding money... Very nice coins every one. image

Hoard the keys.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Just a few examples of my 80-S Morgans.

MS 65

MS 65 PL

MS 66 PL

MS 67 PL

Mike
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Here are some of my 1921 Pilgrims. What can I say? I like Pilgrims. Three of them are 65s, and one is 64. Some of you may notice something special about three of these.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about duplicates within the same PCGS holder?

image >>

Man, that is AWESOME!

JH
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are some of my 1921 Pilgrims. What can I say? I like Pilgrims. Three of them are 65s, and one is 64. Some of you may notice something special about three of these.

They have the same obverse die polishing lines. Is that correct? from the same dies
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here are some of my 1921 Pilgrims. What can I say? I like Pilgrims. Three of them are 65s, and one is 64. Some of you may notice something special about three of these.

They have the same obverse die polishing lines. Is that correct? from the same dies >>

Good job. Now, do you see anything resulting from the die polishing?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red Brown grading set of 1837 Illustrious Predecessor HT-34/Low-20 Hard Times Tokens.

The following below is a grouping of both early and late die stages of this variety.

Any scratches or haze seen is on the slabs not the tokens.

The "grading set" part is total BS and just a reason to keep buying them! imageimage

MS63RB

MS64RB

MS65RB

MS66RB

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • I have the Morgan sickness....

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarter dollars dated 1805 were minted in five die varieties for a total of 121,394 coins.

The 4 obverse and 4 reverse dies were prepared by hand and differ to the naked eye in the spacing and orientation of the date, letters, stars, denomination, etc.

Browning-1:
    imageimage

Note that on the somewhat scarce B-1, the 5 in the date barely touches the bust, and note the relative spaces between the first star and the hair, and the last star and the drapery, and on the reverse, and note that the D touches the third feather of the wing, and see the spacing of the C. to the tail, and compare to the next sets of dies.

Browning-2:
    imageimage

The B-2 typically has a weak right side of the R in Liberty, and a noticeable gap in the dentils above the E in States. Here the C touches the eagle's tail. This is a slightly scarce die marriage. note defects at the feet of some of the letters and numbers, and compare and contrast with next

Browning-3:
    imageimage

the B-3 is the most common variety, if you can call any 1805 quarter "common", with probably less than 1000 extant in all conditions. Anyway the B-3 often has a weak E, and the obverse die shows several cracks in the later die states, along with heavy clash marks. this is the same reverse as the B-2 with the gap above the E.

Browning-4:
    imageimage

the fairly scarce B-4 has the 1 in the date very low and the 5 not touching the bust, and the gap between stars 1 and the bust is much larger than the small space between the last star and the drapery. Interestingly, here the C crowds the eagle's tail, overlapping the first and touching the second feather, while there is a larger space between the D in United and the fourth (not 3rd) feather in the left (facing, eagle's right) wing. Further, this obverse die was still in good enough condition after new year's day that they used (due to scarcity of die steel) the unusual process of reannealing the obverse and punching a 6 over the 5 in the date, creating one of the most obvious overdates in US coins, the 1806/5 B-1 quarter.

Browning-5

The rare B-5 uses the obverse of B-1 with a new reverse similar to reverse B but with a gap in the dentils over the I in America.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    I bought the first 1859-D gold dollar in a Blue ANACS XF45 holder in 2010 at the Alabama Numismatic Society Show in Bessemer. I had it crossed over right away (by our hosts) and it came back XF45+ (soon after the plus grading was inaugurated).

I found the second piece at the November 2013 Tennessee State Numismatic Society Show in Chattanooga. It was previously sold by Stack's in 2000, as part of the George Elliott Collection. George was an old-time Dahlonega collector and the father of NASCAR driver Bill Elliott. George owned a Ford dealership in Dahlonega back in the 1960s and legend has it that he would show his Dahlonega pieces to his friends on the showroom floor, laid out on a towel on the hood of a brand new Ford!

The images are courtesy of BluCC Photos.

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    All Duplicates................

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • A nice old thread, I wonder how many of these duplicates are now in another home. Anyway, here are my duplicates. I have only these two; one's a P45 CAC the other is P53 CAC.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missed this one the first time around. This is my backup 1850 Mormon piece. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What else but Buffs for me. I try to get 2 of 3 of each in high grade

1935 DDR-1 Both old ANACS-50
    imageimage
    imageimage

1916 2-feathers NGC-64 and ol ANACS-61
    imageimage
    imageimage

1930 DDO-6 PCGS 65 and 66(Coming to Cherrypickers' Guide soon)
    imageimage
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file