Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone collect vintage Sports Illustrated's ?

I am considering using CGC's new magazine grading service and submitting some nicer looking vintage SI's. Does anyone know of a good reputable source for acquiring any of these ?

Here is the reason I am considering this, these just look amazing............

Comments

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pics. Never knew they could be graded.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    Those do look great,just what I need another venture..
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome pics. Never knew they could be graded. >>

It is relatively new, CGC just start a few months ago, Beckett also does it, but I think the CGC ones look much nicer.

• Options
    Well, I couldn't wait so I went ahead and dipped my toe in the water with the purchase of these two tonight...........

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sports Illustrated are among the very best in Vintage looking magazine covers, beside the Baseball the College Football ones from the 70's are amazing!
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Wow, no mailing labels on either of them, that's pretty rare!
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!........ How much does the Ted Williams 9.6 sell for?
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Love those covers

Here's the only vintage one I have:

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    My only issue of grading magazines is that once they are encapsulated you can never open it up to look inside. I was at a flea markey and a dealer had a playboy that was encapsulated and graded. You cannot look inside which to me was the whole point of buying the magazine.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The April 11 issue cover was controversial at the time

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. They display great!

Let me know when and if you submit your mags. I have some I'ld like to send in. Maybe do a group sub?
  • Options
    Here is my custom "fantasy" cover if SI was around in 1947.

-Jason
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is my custom "fantasy" cover if SI was around in 1947.

-Jason >>

Awesome.

And Bishop - why was that cover controversial?

• Options
    mj23kg21mj23kg21 Posts: 134 ✭✭
    I have bought and sold old SI's and other sports magazines for many years. The two you purchased are nice. The 1955 Williams has had the mailing label removed. It was either removed cleanly or removed and then touched up. I can't tell from the scan on the Spahn SI if it is an original Newsstand issue or if it has also had the mailing label removed. For vintage SI's only about 2% of the issues are Newsstand issues and the rest were subscription issues that once had a mailing label. Certain years are easier to remove the labels. CGC has been around for a few years. The issues do look very nice in those holders. For the last 15-20 years I have purchased various issues that I thought would be good in the future directly off of the Newsstand in quantity. I have sold a number of them but do still have some left.
    Always looking to buy old Minnesota Twins and Vikings memorabilia like Nodders, Photo Pennants, and Photo Buttons.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they grade these SI's do they consider grade issues on the pages within the front/back covers? Or does the primary grade points come from the covers. I know comics are lower graded based on the yellowing of the insides pages. A side note of info. The reason the mailing label is always on the front cover of all mags. is the advertisers do not like the labels interfering with their ads on the back covers. I wonder if they grade LIFE mags? There are some good covers there as well. Mantle,Namath, Cassius Clay/Ali.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if they grade LIFE mags? There are some good covers there as well. Mantle,Namath, Cassius Clay/Ali. >>

Right now they only grade SI and Playboy.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Let me know when and if you submit your mags. I have some I'd like to send in. Maybe do a group sub? >>

Group sub might be a good idea Matt, as the regular prices are not cheap!

The following are CGC’s current prices for grading tiers. Please remember that the turnaround times are estimates only.

A $5 handling fee per invoice applies to all submissions in addition to the grading tiers below.

Economy *** 25 business days *** $200 per book max value *** $28 per book to grade
    Standard *** 15 business days *** $400 per book max value *** $37 per book to grade
    Express ***** 5 business days *** $800 per book max value *** $55 per book to grade
    WalkThru *** Same day ********** No limit on value ******** $77 per book to grade
    Reholder *** 10 business days No limit $12 per book

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I Don't consider $28 to bad considering PSA charges $25 to grade a ticket. Additionally, CGC's yearly membership is $39 instead of $110. I also have a few comics I can probably submit with membership as well.

• Options
    And, I am still looking for a few to buy, would like to have approximately the quality of the two I bought above or better.

• Options
    Looks like CGC also grades these, which is good news for me since I have the 1st issues of Football, Basketball, and Hockey in plastic sheets since the day I bought them.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is my custom "fantasy" cover if SI was around in 1947.

-Jason >>

Awesome.

And Bishop - why was that cover controversial? >>

I can only assume that it had to do with a white lady having her arm around a black man.

I agree that 70s college football covers are great. I've been reading online on how to get those pesky mailing labels off!
    Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    But if you get the magazines (or comic books) slabbed/graded how are you supposed to read them? image At least with slabbed cards/coins/stamps you can still see/read both sides. That being said my grandpa used to let me have his old Sport magazines (for those of you who are confused, Sport came out shortly before SI and Sport was a monthly rather than a weekly. That must be quite a tough hobby to collect SI's or TV Guides or any other weekly publication. Both though would be quite nice sources of sports and TV history though!
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>But if you get the magazines (or comic books) slabbed/graded how are you supposed to read them? image At least with slabbed cards/coins/stamps you can still see/read both sides. That being said my grandpa used to let me have his old Sport magazines (for those of you who are confused, Sport came out shortly before SI and Sport was a monthly rather than a weekly. That must be quite a tough hobby to collect SI's or TV Guides or any other weekly publication. Both though would be quite nice sources of sports and TV history though! >>

To be honest, I have begun a small collection of vintage SI's myself, and I base it on the cover. I have them on display, and not really to read. So I can see where there would be a market to have them slabbed.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but are older SI's valuable to any extent? There is a guy here in town and he has a huge collection of them, going back at least to the 60's. Dont know what he wants for them, but might ask if I thought it was worth the time
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I haven't added to it in years, but my eventual goal is to track down every issue that has the Dodgers, Rams and Blazers on the cover. I've got a decent stack going, but I lost the fire somewhere along the way.
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't added to it in years, but my eventual goal is to track down every issue that has the Dodgers, Rams and Blazers on the cover. I've got a decent stack going, but I lost the fire somewhere along the way. >>

I have a similar project. I am trying to collect every Boston Red Sox cover.
  • Options

<< <i>Not trying to hijack the thread, but are older SI's valuable to any extent? There is a guy here in town and he has a huge collection of them, going back at least to the 60's. Dont know what he wants for them, but might ask if I thought it was worth the time >>

Yes, they are, especially if the seller hasn't picked through them. Swimsuit issues always command a premium. Covers with stars also do very well. Since you said 60's, I plugged that in and found a Joe Namath issue that sold for $50, Pat Riley from 1966 for $75, etc.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I actually spoke with him today and he has issues going back to the mid 50's.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>Not trying to hijack the thread, but are older SI's valuable to any extent? There is a guy here in town and he has a huge collection of them, going back at least to the 60's. Dont know what he wants for them, but might ask if I thought it was worth the time >>

To put it in perspective the Slabbed Mantle SI I posted at the beginning of the thread would probably go close to a $1000. But then again most SI's aren't in that kind of condition, and Mantle is collectable on any medium. Scroll through E-bay and check out a few from that era, you may be pleasantly surprised.

• Options

<< <i>Wow. They display great!

Let me know when and if you submit your mags. I have some I'ld like to send in. Maybe do a group sub? >>

Peanut Butter Illustrated?
  • Options
    Anybody got any good results on how to get the mailing labels off? Googled it and saw some folks talking about hair dryers and lighter fluid.

Anybody know of any "1-hit wonders" that would surprise you on how much they go for? My Mom got tired of seeing my Dad's issues lying around so my brother and I did a massive draft of all he had- roughly 1973 and up.

I know of- 1982 issue of Clemson's football national champs. Pretty much $10+ with some 25-30 dollar sales sprinkled in. (no label being the key)
    Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
  • Options
    I've tried the hair dryer method with limited success. There are a few solvents that some people swear by, but I can;t remember the names of them right now. If you find out a good method let me know.

I would also like to know how CGC treats/grades magazines with mailing labels ? I have even seen people on e-bay make custom labels to cover the shipping label, but I would think CGC would see this as altered.

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

Check ebay to see which sell for more, you might be surprised. The 1970 issue with Steve Prefontaine on the cover is probably the most popular post-1970 issue.
  • Options
    I received the two Sports Illustrated's (Ted Williams & Warren Spahn) today. They both look pretty good , However, I think the Williams may have been touched up at some point in the magazines history with a red pen at the top. Still pleased with the quality of both magazines and if CGC decides to give the Williams a restored grade I'm fine with that as well. Someone mentioned earlier they didn't know if the Spahn was Newsstand or Subscription, it appears to be subscription, as I believe there is a small amount of residue from removing the label.

• Options
    I contacted CGC to ask them how they graded magazines with subscription labels, and how it may affect the assigned grade.

Response........

We will generally not lower the grade for Subscription labels unless the label itself leaves a significant amount of residue or is damaging to the book itself. If the label is present or if its obvious a label had once been there the book sill be noted as a 'Subscription Copy'

So it appears that subscription labels that are on the magazine, and in good shape, won't affect the grade unless someone has tried to removed it and left a moderate amount of residue on the magazine.

• Options

<< <i>There are a few solvents that some people swear by >>

In your neck of the woods they would be moonshine or pork fat.
  • Options

Shows what you know, Pork Fat isn't a solvent, it's a food group.

• Options

<< <i>image

Shows what you know, Pork Fat isn't a solvent, it's a food group. >>

LOL!! My Bad haha
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Shows what you know, Pork Fat isn't a solvent, it's a food group. >>

+1000
  • Options
    Pork renderings aside........I just bought another vintage Sports Illustrated..............Best I can tell looks about nr-mint, what do you guys think ?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, looks pretty blurry to me to be nrmt image
  • Options
    The photography on those 1950s SIs is just fantastic. Not that SIs covers don't always feature great photos but the Spahn one really jumps out. Simple cover, great photo, fantastic design.
  • Options
    I'm on a roll. Somebody stop me before I hurt myself ! Two more SI's...........Larry Bird's first & second covers................

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Kind of went digging and would like to get these done.. If they ever started doing Goal and Hockey Illustrated
    I would be in trouble....

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    nice 1st cover of the Great One there.

• Options
    Two more pick-ups tonight...........

• Options

<< <i>I'm on a roll. Somebody stop me before I hurt myself ! Two more SI's...........Larry Bird's first & second covers................

image/q]
    Man, if this photo doesn't just have 1970s all over it image Great, cheesy-as-heck, cover.
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Technically not vintage. But S.I. had some cool as hell covers.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice SI's, Are those yours ??