Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Guttag Brothers Rare Coin Dealer Store Cards ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
1923-1926 Guttag Brothers, 30mm Diameter, Rare Coin Dealer Store Cards, Struck by Medallic Art Company / Sculptor Jonathan M. Swanson

Last year I had a chance to purchase a high grade collection of Guttag Bros rare dealer store cards in 3 phases which was assembled in the 1940-50's. The obverse of each features a allegorical scene of a nude muse holding the lamp of knowledge for a boy to study a coin along with 3 different reverse designs. I bought the full collection including all the different metal type duplicates. Since only the bronze column flanked framed reverse design issue is common, however still tough to find variety as a fully struck early die stage without excessive die erosion. I am keeping it intact since this is without a doubt the most complete private collection ever assembled as only American Numismatic Society museum collection holdings come close.

Here's a first look at the at the full collection... Enjoy! image

BRONZE

COPPER

BRASS

ANTIQUE BRONZE - FACTORY APPLIED PATINA

LEAD

MAGNESIUM ALLOY

GILT COPPER

ZINC

ALUMINUM

SILVER

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    That is an amazing collection. And the designs are wonderful.

Are you missing any varieties?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>That is an amazing collection. And the designs are wonderful.

Are you missing any varieties? >>

Thanks Shamika! image

I'm missing two metal types on the nudes.

Also a bronze 1926 International Philatelic Exhibition which has a different obverse design featuring busts of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln... Which is pretty common but I just haven't found the right example that fits this collection.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Way cool. image

The magnesium token is off the scale.

Do you know if silver and gold were struck?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is an amazing collection. And the designs are wonderful.

Are you missing any varieties? >>

Thanks Shamika! image

I'm missing two metal types on the nudes.

Also a bronze 1926 International Philatelic Exhibition which has a different obverse design featuring busts of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln... Which is pretty common but I just haven't found the right example that fits this collection. >>

Wow you shure like nudes rare coins. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! Way cool. image

The magnesium token is off the scale.

Do you know if silver and gold were struck? >>

Thanks Cladking! image

Yes those are the metal types I'm missing image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...that is an amazing collection.... will you be keeping it to complete? Or selling... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a remarkable set; beautiful engraving work! I'm glad you are keeping the set together as it has considerable historical value as a unit.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck:

Simply stunning. What would the Guttag Brothers have used these for? Did they essentially take the place of business cards or did they hand them out with an order or stack them on theri counter ... ??? And do you have any idea why they struck so may different varieties?
    Mark

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Wow -- holy cow.

Given that it was Broadstruck posting something, I knew it would be something cool and high grade.

But I was not in any way prepared for this.

Yowza!
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options

<< <i>Broadstruck:

Simply stunning. What would the Guttag Brothers have used these for? Did they essentially take the place of business cards or did they hand them out with an order or stack them on theri counter ... ??? And do you have any idea why they struck so may different varieties? >>

Thanks Mark! image

Here's a page from the July 1927 The Numismatist which mentions sale price of the store cards.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck:

So, let's see. You have 24 of the store cards at 10 cents each, so you spent a total of $2.40, right?? image

More seriously, thanks for the page from The Numismatist. I am still impressed with the huge variety the Guttag Brothers struck!
    Mark

• Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Back in the 1980s I bought one struck in gold.

And like an idiot I sold it. image

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    You can tell that kid is a pure coin collector. He is letting nothing distract him from looking at that coin.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow pretty darn cool!
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very cool!

Tom

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can tell that kid is a pure coin collector. He is letting nothing distract him from looking at that coin. >>

Amazing.

I'm getting an odd sense of deja vu, though. Haven't I seen an earlier thread about these?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Foreplay with coins. Neat. For the record, the Guttag boys may have beaten George Bauer by a whisker on the issuance of a coin dealer's store card. Bauer founded his business as a Rochester, N.Y. dealer in Ancients and Chinese coins the late 1800's. He later commissioned German immigrant Alphonse Kolb of Bastian Brothers in Rochester, N.Y. to engrave dies for the Bauer coin enterprise token. I presently own those original dies. Medallic Art Company was a direct competitor of Bastian Brothers in the 1920's.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

• Options
    Coin dealer store cards were issued by Edward Cogan, John K. Curtis, William Idler and Augustus B. Sage dated 1859. Several coin dealers issued Civil War store cards. By the time the Guttag Brothers issued store cards, there were many others.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin collecting mentors sure aren't what they used to be....image

• Options
    I just updated the set with the addition of the Silver varieties which completes this collection image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I just updated the set with the addition of the Silver varieties which completes this collection image >>

So, was this the coin(s) you were waiting for a while but the package 'disappeared'?
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go, Frank! Nice tokens

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an amazing set! Congrats!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm. Foreplay with coins. Neat. For the record, the Guttag boys may have beaten George Bauer by a whisker on the issuance of a coin dealer's store card. Bauer founded his business as a Rochester, N.Y. dealer in Ancients and Chinese coins the late 1800's. He later commissioned German immigrant Alphonse Kolb of Bastian Brothers in Rochester, N.Y. to engrave dies for the Bauer coin enterprise token. I presently own those original dies. Medallic Art Company was a direct competitor of Bastian Brothers in the 1920's.
    image >>

Wow. George Bauer is ANA Life Member #4. That's pretty cool image
  • Options

<< <i>BRONZE

image >>

I like this reverse the best. I wonder why it wasn't used on more metals. image
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    These are really cool, Broadstruck. Thanks for sharing.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BRONZE

image >>

I like this reverse the best. I wonder why it wasn't used on more metals. image >>

This flanking column & lower wreath reverse design is actually the most commonly seen and earliest issued Guttag as well over a thousand had been struck in bronze only. As you can see by the early die strike above there were some striking issues. Since due to the flanking high relief figures on the obverse the reverse looks bent but is just slightly vertically convex in the center. On the other two reverse designs struck later you'll notice there's no longer a raised reverse rim. Although there's nothing written on these store cards my theory is that to alleviate this issue striking pressure was increased which caused severe die deterioration. As can be seen by the additional examples below most all struck of this reverse design are non convex however show moderate to heavy die erosion and are lacking design details from repeated die polishing. Therefore finding an example that's fully struck without signs of die erosion is quite challenging.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beautiful collection
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited January 30, 2020 10:02PM

@coindeuce said:
    Hmmm. Foreplay with coins. Neat. For the record, the Guttag boys may have beaten George Bauer by a whisker on the issuance of a coin dealer's store card. Bauer founded his business as a Rochester, N.Y. dealer in Ancients and Chinese coins the late 1800's. He later commissioned German immigrant Alphonse Kolb of Bastian Brothers in Rochester, N.Y. to engrave dies for the Bauer coin enterprise token. I presently own those original dies. Medallic Art Company was a direct competitor of Bastian Brothers in the 1920's.

A blast from the past but worth saving.

Just had to say that this is a great die pair again @coindeuce !

• Options

I wish all the photos remained in the thread. All I see now is the sad faced tinypic guy where they all used to be.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great collection !

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.... we lost a lot when the software was upgraded.....Just a monumental task to try to rebuild it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have books a hundred years old with pictures in them you can still see. I weep for electronic posterity.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    I have books a hundred years old with pictures in them you can still see. I weep for electronic posterity.

It is the same thing with family photos, Cap.
    How many pictures lost when we upgrade our phones and forget about the transfers?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@ricko said:
    Yes.... we lost a lot when the software was upgraded.....Just a monumental task to try to rebuild it. Cheers, RickO

Was it lost due to the forum upgrade or other reasons like photo services needing to charge money to survive?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Archivists lose sleep because of digital photography. They have to think in terms of 100’s of years.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ricko said:

Was it lost due to the forum upgrade or other reasons like photo services needing to charge money to survive?

But did they have to vandalize older photos posted by people in good faith back when the service was something else?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Sad news to report...Frank, aka Doublestruck, passed away on the morning of April 23, 2023. The world, especially the collecting world, has lost a unique and brilliant man...and I have lost a good friend.

• Options

Correction: he was aka "Broadstruck". Grieving causes errors, apparently.

• Options
    GrantuGrantu Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

That’s sad news to hear. Especially as a newer member I always enjoyed his input.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Teecee said:
    Sad news to report...Frank, aka Doublestruck, passed away on the morning of April 23, 2023. The world, especially the collecting world, has lost a unique and brilliant man...and I have lost a good friend.

This deserves it's own thread. That's very sad to hear, many people will miss him on these boards... myself included.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this isn't true...great person to interact with on the forum!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file