Home Precious Metals
Options

Mint Sealed Panda gold coins

coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
When I think of chinese coins I often think of counterfiet coins.
I have read more than once that the panda coins in mint sealed plastic are a safe buy.
Can anyone explain to me why the mint sealed pandas are not easy to counterfiet?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>When I think of chinese coins I often think of counterfiet coins.
    I have read more than once that the panda coins in mint sealed plastic are a safe buy.
    Can anyone explain to me why the mint sealed pandas are not easy to counterfiet?
    Thanks! >>

They are not safer than the "unsealed" ones, imo.
    Everything can be counterfeited. Adding features adds difficulties.
    You will have to fake the coin and fake the plastic (which is not a simple plastic but marked by the Mint - in some cases it also contains a piece of paper).
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've purchased a number
    of genuine gold pandas
    that were unsealed !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would never purchase a panda under any circumstances.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>Would never purchase a panda under any circumstances. >>

How come?

I like them. They are more beautiful than any other bullion coin and in higher demand.
    Chinese Govt doesn't like counterfeit currency, this should limit the number of fakes.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I prefer buying gold that is "naked" (no packaging), so that I can weigh and measure it. If the dimensions and weight are dead on, you know exactly what you are getting when it comes to .999+ pure gold.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any can be counterfeit....none are more safe.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

+1
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All coins subject to counterfeiting. Chinese coins are at the top of my list.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive seen many fake Panda gold, Ive seem much much more of the real stuff. 99% of the fakes are really easy to spot, educate to protect yourself.

As for myself I like to collect the mint sealed fractional issues.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Am I detecting some hostility toward the the Pandas? I think the panda is an awsome coin. And with the gold backed yuan set to become the next worlds reserve curency the Pandas could have an additional advantage.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All coins subject to counterfeiting. Chinese coins are at the top of my list. >>

I wonder what percentage of bullion stackers/flippers could even tell if a coin was counterfeit or how many even bother to look.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

Weiss is correct. I won't touch any numismatic or PM item out of the Peoples Republic.
  • Options

<< <i>

Weiss is correct. I won't touch any numismatic or PM item out of the Peoples Republic. >>

I would be curious to hear the reason behind your decision, if you don't mind.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Weiss is correct. I won't touch any numismatic or PM item out of the Peoples Republic. >>

I would be curious to hear the reason behind your decision, if you don't mind. >>

Sure, China is well known for not only generating huge numbers of fake coins, but condoning the trade in these as well. Even if certain of their authenticity, I try to do as little business as possible with these folks.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal reasons for not buying Pandas are many. Some of them off the top of my head and in no particular order:

First, I don't know the series. And it's not just that I don't know the coins. I don't know the language or even the characters. Call that xenophobic if you like, or even uneducated. I prefer to think of it as common sense. I simply don't have the interest or the time it would take to learn the series, the characters, or the language. On a scale of 1-10 of where my interests lie, it wouldn't even register.

Second, there are fakes of Pandas. Tons and tons of fakes. The marketplace is littered with them. Some are identical to "real" Pandas down to the packaging, some are slightly different than the real ones. And apparently that is just fine with the Chinese government. I believe the fakes are produced intentionally to deceive people who don't know the series, the language, or the characters. Guess what? That's me.

Third, I live in the midwest of the United States. As a buyer, I want something I'm interested in learning about or something I already know about. That's US gold eagles, pre-1933 US gold, Mexican pieces, and European pieces. As a seller, I want something my buyers will want. Reverse the equation. For every 25 buyers of American, Mexican, or European gold, there is perhaps 1 or 2 buyers of Chinese gold. If that. I'd rather not hamstring myself when it comes time to sell.

Fourth, I'm not a fan of the Chinese government.

Fifth, thankfully, the market here is full of other alternatives. And on those occasions when I can't find what I want here in town, I can find the coins I prefer online in a matter of seconds. If Pandas were the only game in town, I'd consider them. They're not.

What it comes down to is that I buy gold to protect myself financially. Buying something that I don't want, is entirely unknown, is unwanted by other local buyers, and potentially fake just doesn't make sense. It would be the exact opposite of why I buy gold in the first place. No thanks.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    They do seem to make quite a bit of sense though if you're buying them off apmex or another trusted source. Considering they escalate in value much quicker than all of the others do. At least from what i've seen in my limited experience. I've only purchased 1/10oz up too this point though. The maples, the eagles, ect...... are pretty boring and only fluctuate with melt it seems. The pandas seem to go beyond that because of the collector value. I'm a currency guy just getting into the precous metals but i've done the best with the pandas by far up to this point. Just my .02
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INTERESTING WWII HAWAII NOTES.