Home Metal Detecting
Options

Whats the best metal detector for beginners

tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
I collect gold and silver coins and want to jump into something my son and I can enjoy together. That being said. What is a good solid MD to find those precious metal (gold and silver) My understanding is you need a different coil for gold? Please advise. Also if you have one or two laying around please advise or a good place to buy.
Transactions..
wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    Garret Ace 250 or 350. One coil will find it all, although coil size and depth are correlated.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree on the Garrett's for beginners...just not around salt water. The special coils for gold are for the more technologically advanced machines (although not difficult to operate). Best to start off with the Ace machines until you decide if you want to stay with the hobby - caution, it is addicting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    thanks everyone. Yes I was loking at them and 295 isn't a bad price. going to be a great hobby for my son and I. Now to find those gold coinimage
    Transactions..
    wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Just something to consider especially if you think you'd upgrade later.

I'm relatively new to this, and adult of 60, and about to make my first purchase in the next few days. I really don't want to
    wish I got that next level or have to double-spend later. So I'm going with the Garret AT Pro to start. The Ace models and the pro model will
    of course be around for decades and do well, but if I'm having it that long, I want something with that little extra to be solidly placed
    in the middle of the road plus level. I hope to be able to use the pro as a heavy duty detector years from now with no regret on a well rounded
    scope of detecting and features; such as a built in pointer, waterproof, configurable, adaptability over different finds and water use, and much more.

Then also I've got my feet wet by using a ACE 150 loaner ($150) and it was ok. I sure wished I had the long handled serrated shovel and definitely Pro Pin Pointer.
    Even if I wasn't getting a detector for awhile, I'm getting the pointer.

Now of course the pro, shovel, and pointer investment will cost you about $810 w/o tax. But its a lifetime setup for anyone and even as you get more experienced.
    You can get the pro by itself for $589 and use other accessories for now.

But if I were trying to keep the price more under control, I'd get the ACE and a medium priced Pointer.
    COA
  • Options
    Definitely get a pin pointer..(the Pro is great)... saves a lot of work and frustration...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    You tube has a 22 minute video "an idiots giude to buying a metal detector".

the guy is from across the pond but the video is a great starting point when thinking about getting a MD

it covers the very basic machines to the top shelf machines, Prices seem to be a little skewed but the break down/advise of the
    different machines is definatly helpful.

If you dont mind second hand machines you can usually pick up some of the top end machines cheaper (somtimes 50-60%)

For instance I picked up my new to me whites DFX for $500 and came with extra coils & accesories & works awsome.
    Dansco BU washie set empty holes:
    32d,32s,34d,35d,36d,37,37d,37s,38,38s,39s.
  • Options

Any thoughts on the AT Gold from Garret? waterproof looks like nice feature

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251228763782?lpid=82

link to MD on ebay, AT Gold
    US small size Federal Reserve Note collector with focus on 1928 to 1950E and main focus on 1934 to 1934D series. $5 to $100 denominations.

kurtisjohnson is my eBay ID

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kurtisjohnson/m.html
  • Options
    A water proof coil is important.... unless specifically water detecting, then just use caution with most MD's as far as the electronic boxes are concerned...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    On your first outing you will discover how much trash truly exists out there. Learning how to swing and dig should be your priority. I suggest starting at kids playground. Try the sand and bark lots first