Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sweet group of circ. Barber halves

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just picked these up from Mike Printz & coworkers at HJB (these are their nice photos- my photos usually suck). I don't usually collect circulated Barber halves, but these were just too nice. They also had a nice 1892-o in PCGS AU50 and an 1896-S in PCGS VF35, but I passed on those and they disappeared quickly. I guess they got an accumulation of Barber halves from a collector who really knew what they were doing.

The 1905-O may arguably be the toughest date in the whole series in XF (yet they are more available in BU grades). People may argue that 1897-O, 1901-O, 1904-S, and 1904-O are tougher in XF, but those arguments are a big part of what makes these boards fun to read. The Heritage archives show that they've sold just two of these 1905-O halves in PCGS XF grades and three in AU grades since 1993. So there are not many chances to get a nice circ. example in PCGS holder. On the other hand, 42 of them have come up in MS60 or better during the same time, so the 1905-O doesn't really enjoy the key date status of some other dates. This particular coin has a small "water spot" and an average strike, but the originality of this piece is stunning and it has a noticeable lack of rim problems. It was an easy decision to pull the trigger. Very quickly. It's not like I'm going to look through dozens of them at the next coin show and pick one out that has better surfaces or strike. It graded out at PCGS XF45.

The 1897-O is a traditional key date. This one graded PCGS F15. I love the choice original look of the obverse. Not all '97-O halves have this kind of eye appeal. The best part was that Mike didn't charge me the super-premium auction prices that these can bring, even though he knew it was nice for the grade.

The others are 1913 and 1915-P. Bah, common late-date P-mints! image I was never really impressed with these dates in the typically encountered G4-VG10 grade range. They are around. But choice VF to AU examples are a whole different cup of tea. The 1913 graded PCGS VF25 and the 1915 graded PCGS VF30. I could have seen the 1915 in a VF35 or even 35+ holder, but some small surface abrasions on the shield and a line on Liberty's cheek might have cost it a few style points. For some reason, I passed on the 1914 they had, which was PCGS F15, but it was nice, too. Hope someone else here got it before it disappeared into the numismatic ether.

Hope you enjoyed seeing these without scrolling to the bottom of the Barber MegaThread!

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, wholesome coins. Congrats.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    That 05-O just looks like a stunner. I know pics can be deceiving, but I'd bet that coin is a cherry in hand. One of my favorite dates. I hear folks talking about people hoarding that date and that's why they aren't around. I highly doubt it. If they are hoarding anything, it's the big money makers like that 97-O (which looks nice as well). They may be hoarding 05-O's, but I seriously doubt they are in the high VF/XF range.

Congrats on the 05-O. It's by far the scarcest coin you have there.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    nice halves, I found an 1897-O barber half while metal detecting, only one ive found so far, not as nice as yours but not bad for being in the ground for 50+ years.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Pickups! The 05-O definately has hoard pressure....as seems many of the O mints these days! The 05-O doesn't hold a candle to the 96 or 97-O in XF!

Edit to add...Please find me an 01-O in 45! I will pay dearly for it! image
  • Options

<< <i>Great Pickups! The 05-O definately has hoard pressure....as seems many of the O mints these days! The 05-O doesn't hold a candle to the 96 or 97-O in XF!

Edit to add...Please find me an 01-O in 45! I will pay dearly for it! image >>

And he will too!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins, and all tough dates in these grade levels.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    They are all nice, I thought about putting a set of these together once in the popular VF grades but at my age I decided not to, but it would be a set to behold.
  • Options
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

This thread should be at least linked to the Mega Thread.

These dates are the ones I have been searching for in 45 - 53.
    Nice pick ups, Ron.

Seems quite a bit of activity was happening at HBRC's latest Barber
    accumulation. I got a couple of emails about it, after the fact, mind you. image
    Guess no one really wants me to know too much ... I wonder why ?! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that 1905-0. Seems to have some luster on it and no sign of the usual old light cleaning or baking soda look so many of these coins present.

Technically it looks closer to AU to me than XF. I'd bet a lot of that flatness looking like wear is just strike. Some pretty horrible strikes on the 02-0, 03-0, and 05-0. I remember owning a blazer "gem" 02-0 back around 1975
    that was mark free. But the strike was sad. When I showed it to a collector friend of mine he said it looked VF. Talk about popping my bubble. But he was right.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Ron,

The 1902-O Half is notorious for being the worst struck of the entire series.
    The Reverse is usually so poorly struck on the right facing Eagle's wing, that
    it doesn't show good definition most of the time.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting that you mention the 1902-O, as I just picked up a rather decent one in original VF20. It's raw, but it's such a nice piece. I will post that one at some future date when I can snap a photo. The strike is a little soft, but it's not terrible.

Roadrunner- I have to laugh at your VF-65 half. So I guess the 1902-O half is the 50c equivalent of the 1891-O Morgan Dollar? Those have been known to come straight out of BU rolls in VG-65. image
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins- Mike and David are great!
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

RHedden: <<The 1897-O is a traditional key date. This one graded PCGS F15. I love the choice original look of the obverse. Not all '97-O halves have this kind of eye appeal. The best part was that Mike didn't charge me the super-premium auction prices that these can bring, even though he knew it was nice for the grade. >>

Yes, the 1897-O is relatively scarce, extremely important, and hard to find with exceptional eye appeal. Coincidentally, I just wrote another article on Barber Halves, which was published today.

While it seems that Hedden knows what he is doing, others may need guidance.

Building a Set of Almost Uncirculated-55 to ‘Mint State’-63 Barber Half Dollars

Not long ago, I emphasized that nice set can be completed, with most coins grading above VF-20, for less than $500 per coin.

Classic U.S. cons for less than $500 each, Part 6: Barber Halves

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options

<< <i>RHedden: <<The 1897-O is a traditional key date. This one graded PCGS F15. I love the choice original look of the obverse. Not all '97-O halves have this kind of eye appeal. The best part was that Mike didn't charge me the super-premium auction prices that these can bring, even though he knew it was nice for the grade. >>

Yes, the 1897-O is relatively scarce, extremely important, and hard to find with exceptional eye appeal. Coincidentally, I just wrote another article on Barber Halves, which was published today.

While it seems that Hedden knows what he is doing, others may need guidance.

Not long ago, I emphasized that nice set can be completed, with most coins grading above VF-20, for less than $500 per coin.

Classic U.S. cons for less than $500 each, Part 6: Barber Halves >>

Hi,Greg

I really enjoy reading many of your articles. I hope I have the time to pick apart your article soon. There are some glaring errors in your article!

I will start buy offering to buy any 01-S quarter you can offer me in a PCGS 55 holder for 25K! image
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    I love the crust on that '05-O! I'm not too knowledgeable on Barber halves, but IIRC, someone once told that '05-O is one of the most elusive dates in VF and higher image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins in tough grades !
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some very nice halves.... well done...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Neat stuff, you are a true numismatist.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options

AmWldCoin: <<I really enjoy reading many of your articles>>

Thanks, I am glad that you enjoy them.

AmWldCoin: <<I hope I have the time to pick apart your article soon>>

So do I, please pick all my articles apart.

AmWldCoin: <<There are some glaring errors in your article!

I hope that AmWildCoin will draw attention to each one of them.

AmWldCoin: <<I will start buy offering to buy any 01-S quarter you can offer me in a PCGS 55 holder for 25K!>>

This remark was taken out of context. The point in the pertinent passage was that AU-55 to MS-63 grade Barber Halves are good values in contrast to prices of other coins dating from the late 19th century and the early 20th century. After referring to market prices for AU-55 grade Barber halves, I said, < Of other types, some single AU-55 grade coins from this era cost more than ... An AU-55 grade 1901-S Barber Quarter could easily sell for more than $25,000, and certified AU-55 grade 1877 Indian Cents tend to sell for more than $2700 each at auction. ...>

In 2011 and 2012, prices for key date Barber Quarters did fall, though declines were not noted in all (if any) price guides. I agree that a retail price now for a PCGS graded AU-55 Barber Quarter would be closer to $35,000 than to $25,000. This reality, though, is consistent with my current point that an AU-55 1901-S quarter "could easily sell for more than $25,000"!

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I, too, enjoy reading Greg's articles. He definitely has a soft spot for barber coinage. The upcoming sale of the Gene Gardner Barber coins is something I am paying close attention to. Among his mint state halves, there are quite a few that would be upgrades to my mint state set. So far I haven't seen any particular announcement by Heritage as to when the many coins and sets in the collection will be specifically sold in the proposed four auctions. I would suspect that the coins may be taking trips to grading services and CAC prior to the auction.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those look pretty nice to me. great picks!
  • Options

<< <i>AmWldCoin: <<I really enjoy reading many of your articles>>

Thanks, I am glad that you enjoy them.

AmWldCoin: <<I hope I have the time to pick apart your article soon>>

So do I, please pick all my articles apart.

AmWldCoin: <<There are some glaring errors in your article!

I hope that AmWildCoin will draw attention to each one of them.

AmWldCoin: <<I will start buy offering to buy any 01-S quarter you can offer me in a PCGS 55 holder for 25K!>>

This remark was taken out of context. The point in the pertinent passage was that AU-55 to MS-63 grade Barber Halves are good values in contrast to prices of other coins dating from the late 19th century and the early 20th century. After referring to market prices for AU-55 grade Barber halves, I said, < Of other types, some single AU-55 grade coins from this era cost more than ... An AU-55 grade 1901-S Barber Quarter could easily sell for more than $25,000, and certified AU-55 grade 1877 Indian Cents tend to sell for more than $2700 each at auction. ...>

In 2011 and 2012, prices for key date Barber Quarters did fall, though declines were not noted in all (if any) price guides. I agree that a retail price now for a PCGS graded AU-55 Barber Quarter would be closer to $35,000 than to $25,000. This reality, though, is consistent with my current point that an AU-55 1901-S quarter "could easily sell for more than $25,000"!

Building a Set of Almost Uncirculated-55 to ‘Mint State’-63 Barber Half Dollars >>

AmWILDCOIN is here to talk about your article! image

My 1st impression was it felt like an article written 3 or 4 years ago regarding suggested prices. Lets talk about prices!

You suggest an AU-55 set of Barber Halves can be assembled in the $65,000 range. I would hate to see the dogs that would be in that set...as many of the nicer coins do not see the light of the auctions. PCGS Priceguide for an AU-55 set is currently $69,795. Most serious Barber Half collectors consider the price guide way low on all but the common date coins. I would wager if one wants a respectable set of 55's(that doesn't include the nondesirable graded coins) one would probably spend 100K or more!

Most of the prices you suggest for semi keys are quite low in the current market. Lets look at a few:

1893-S You suggest $1750,I sold 1 nearly 2 years ago for $2400 and paid considerable more for a 58.

1894.As common as a 93??? Most are trading at $800- $1000!..not $535!

95-O and 95-S $625-650? Please sell me all that are not dogs you can offer!

96-O in 55 $3000 I don't thinks so! More like $5-6,000 for a nice coin. I thought the same as you about the 58 96-O that sold for $12650 until I spoke with the owner who is building a 58 set. That is probably the nicest AU 96-O out there and I believe it would sell for $15-20,000 if auctioned today!

1896-S $1300 WOW! double that number

1897-O $2100 WOW! Can probably triple that number!

1897-S $2100....can double that one too!

I can go on but they follow the same trends.

I also absolutely do not consider the 1903 and 1908 dates in middle grades common dates!

I really like the fact you are bringing attention to the barber half series....especially since I have almost accomplished my goal. The competetion is already out there so I doubt your article changed that!

My Barber Halves

Take a look at my sets and I think you will see I have a bit of experience with Barber Halves. Your article should have been published 4 years ago with regards to pricing for nice examples.

• Options
    A Bump for Analyst.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coins, great people at HJB. image
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that 1905-o nice and crusty!
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    Another Bump for Analyst.
  • Options

AmWildCoin: <<Another Bump for Analyst. >>

I very much appreciate interest in my articles. I wish to serve collectors. I apologize for not promptly responding.

So far in 2014, I have been overwhelmed with work. Moreover, among other matters, the Newman, Gardner, and forthcoming Pogue sales have occupied a large portion of my mind. I will return to considering prices of circulated Barber Halves as soon as I can. I think that naturally toned, Very Fine to AU grade Barber Halves are terrific coins and good values for collectors. I used to seek them myself. They are, though, not as newsworthy as some of the coins that I must write about before and after the ANA auctions. Also, I am taking on additional projects. Besides, I wish to carefully defend my interpretations of market levels for circulated Barber Halves.

Dimes of 1809 – A Key in the Capped Bust Dime Series

[L=The Incredible Gene Gardner Collection, part 2: Famous Coins in the June 23rd Auction]
    http://www.coinweek.com/featured-news/incredible-gene-gardner-collection-part-2-famous-coins-june-23rd-auction/">The Incredible Eugene Gardner Collection, part 3: Stunning, Classic U.S. Silver Coins

The 1615-16 Coins of Bermuda (Sommer Islands): The First English Coins of North America

The First Coins Struck in The Original Thirteen Colonies: Massachusetts (‘NE’) Silver of 1652
  • Options
    Fair enough, I will be interested to see your results.

As an interesting note since my last post PCGS has raised the value of an AU-55 set $5100 to $74895! Seems PCGS is trying to adjust their values to reality. That's quite a bump for 3 months and will be interesting to see if it continues to go up.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have probably checked into HBJ's site once or twice a week for twelve years and never seen anything but crappy Barber halves, and a non Barber collector scrores a huge Barber find! Well, now that is a big fat middle finger from the Barber Gods. image

Beautiful 05-O. I once had a VF35, but never seen an XF worth buying. Without a doubt the O mint Barber halves are the most challenging in XF-AU; 96-O, 97-O, 01-O, 05-O. The 98-O, at least for me has been available in XF. I have owned two, but I haven't seen many more.

Great find, I hope you come to detest those ugly coins and sell! image

Tyler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file