Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hi Everyone in the Coin World, I'm Jack Trout

2»

Comments

• Options

<< <i>image
    Welcome aboard JT.....you've done this before in your previous life.
    Unique first post for sure. >>

I swear, last year I ate a steak that looked just like that in Argentina. Have you ever read that piece on Butch Cassidy and Sundance and his hot babe named Etta Place, they robbed a bank in Winnemucca NV, then headed to NY by ship on the Hemus down to Argentina with rainbows from the McCloud River in N Cal. That's how Argentina and Chile got their trout. From a hatchery where Shasta Lake, California now barely lies (Low Water Year folks) The Crook's Creek Hatchery, from 1872, all the Southern Hemisphere trout came from this hatchery in N Cal. that are rainbow of course,we catch them here in Chile too. Anyway, Butch and Sundance kept robbing banks because in those days Argentina ruled in easy money and get-away's, the west was over as JP Morgan Chase and Carnegie put a Kabosh to the freelance profiteers of the old west range. If you ever make it to Bariloche Argentina, there's a bar on the right river bank of the Rio Limay, this was the first place McCloud River Rainbows were introduced to South America rivers and where Butch and Sundance hug out in a bar and drank delightfully as the Pinkerton Detective agency was hot on their trail.... jt
    My passion has always been Carson City Coins ever since I was a kid when we would take drives from Portola, Ca to the Carson City Mint with my Pops.
    Then over to Virginia City and he would talk about the old west. We love the Old Granite lady too!
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Howdy, JT. Welcome to the nuthouse.
  • Options

<< <i>He grad from Sequoia in Redwood and instantly moved to Portola back in '59. A bit older
    perhaps than you.
    Be well,
    bobimage >>

But did my dad teach your kids? Mr. Rhode ?? I knew everyone in Portola, we got away with so much, being my dad was a teacher. jt
    My passion has always been Carson City Coins ever since I was a kid when we would take drives from Portola, Ca to the Carson City Mint with my Pops.
    Then over to Virginia City and he would talk about the old west. We love the Old Granite lady too!
  • Options

<< <i>Howdy, JT. Welcome to the nuthouse.
    image >>

This is my kind of nut house, at this time I would like to thank Don Willis for constructing this house of Planter's Peanuts! image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image My college roommate, Travis Smith, is a fly fishing guide in Montana and Argentina. I have envied him since the day I left campus.
  • Options

<< <i>image My college roommate, Travis Smith, is a fly fishing guide in Montana and Argentina. I have envied him since the day I left campus. >>

Over in San Martin de los Andes right, he guides on the Rio Collon Cura and Rio Alumine also Malleo ? I have heard of him, Trout
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image My college roommate, Travis Smith, is a fly fishing guide in Montana and Argentina. I have envied him since the day I left campus. >>

Over in San Martin de los Andes right, he guides on the Rio Collon Cura and Rio Alumine also Malleo ? I have heard of him, Trout >>

Patagonia River Guides

He owns this lodge with Rance Rathie.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Well if you ever want to come up to Mount Shasta and float the Upper Sac in my raft on a private section, fly fish a little and talk coins, I'm all ears friend. jt

Everything is the guide's fault, no extra charge! image >>

A big welcome from Sunny Sactown! >>

When you think about that it was 1848, we just bought the California territory from Mexico for $15,000,000.00 and relieved 3,000,000.00 in debts in the treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo,
    and Jim Marshall, bent over and found a pea sized nugget in the soil at Sutter's Fort, then there was 4000 living in California, the next year 90,000 left from every where in the world ( Mainly East Coast) to stake their claim or lose their lives on the trail. I love the story of the Mormon family Brennan, that left the East Coast by ship to escape religious prosecution, I mean having that many wives can have it's ups and downs man. So they headed to the Mexican/California near Sacramento and by the time they arrived it had become California not Mexico anymore, thus it became Mormon Island on the American River. He got to keep all is wives, right on! The gold mining era was amazing and tragic, but what it spawned was the generations of upon generations that became the movers and shakers in the world. This one event shaped history like no other in that one year, one territory went from the unknown to the greatest place to be on Earth.

Soon after that it became Virginia City, Mark Twain, Black Bart, jt

Sacramento >>

Didn't they flood Mormon Island when the put up Folsom Dam? >>

Yea, but Brennan still got to keep his wives and he had them shovel the gravel into the sluice box, it was an excellent endeavor! image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, folks can be happy about this as a first post and quite frankly I am as well since it only goes to fortify my feelings that Jack Trout is no expert.
    The 1st post is simply full of ignorant holes and unfounded suspicion based upon the lack of any true investigation.

What does that make it?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage Dont go calling the IRS on any of us.... image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear Mr. Trout:
    Are you still saying that the 1866-S No Motto $20 was made at the Granite Lady for some special purpose?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!

Here's a salmon for you.

The 1943 Irish florin is the king of modern Irish predecimal coins. Something like 35 are thought to have survived melting, and this is one of only four Mint State examples known.

Not my coin- I wish it was! The '43 florin is the only Irish 1928-69 Irish predecimal coin I lacked in my old collection. I did have the rare 1943 halfcrown (~500 pcs known), but the florin is much rarer.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>imageimage Dont go calling the IRS on any of us.... image >>

Not a chance in the world I would do that, I'm just trying to solve histories/Mysteries. Here's the Trout Hatchery from 1872 I discovered in low water where Shasta lake used to be.

http://blog.sfgate.com/stienstra/2014/02/08/exposed-lake-beds-reveal-treasures-11-pic-gallery/#20458101=5

Enjoy! jt
  • Options

<< <i>Dear Mr. Trout:
    Are you still saying that the 1866-S No Motto $20 was made at the Granite Lady for some special purpose? >>

Only that I was wrong, that my grandpa heard rumors back in the day and they were not totally correct, it was after that coin they started using the Motto "In God WE Trust" on All of the rest of the $20 Gold Libs, that's is correct and maybe back then, things didn't fly off the grid like the CBS Evening News w/ Scott Pelley. But as far as my family theory goes, we missed it by a month as they had passed it in Congress before Lincoln was Assassinated. Unless! It was John Wilkes Booth, lobbying in Congress on Abe's behalf, I was wrong wrong wrong. But it was an honest mistake, that is partially true and gaining all you folks as friends and mentors has been more than worth it. Constructively, the occasional kick in the ass is good for me, and I'm waiting for all you ole timers out there to pass me the torch someday. Now I have a forum to check these kind of facts before I go stinking up the place. jt image
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>Well, folks can be happy about this as a first post and quite frankly I am as well since it only goes to fortify my feelings that Jack Trout is no expert.
    The 1st post is simply full of ignorant holes and unfounded suspicion based upon the lack of any true investigation.

What does that make it? >>

I agree. I don't think he intentionally did wrong though. He should have been vetted by the press. The press should have looked for real coin experts like David Hall or Fred Weinberg, not some guy who's grandpa worked in a laundry near the Mint. By that logic, Bart Simpson is an expert in Nuclear Power.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, folks can be happy about this as a first post and quite frankly I am as well since it only goes to fortify my feelings that Jack Trout is no expert.

What does that make it? >>

I agree. I don't think he intentionally did wrong though. He should have been vetted by the press. The press should have looked for real coin experts like David Hall or Fred Weinberg, not some guy who's grandpa worked in a laundry near the Mint. By that logic, Bart Simpson is an expert in Nuclear Power. >>

Is he the guy who was paid $50,000 to grade the coins or name Mary & John's dog ole Yeller?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dear Mr. Trout:
    Are you still saying that the 1866-S No Motto $20 was made at the Granite Lady for some special purpose? >>

Only that I was wrong, that my grandpa heard rumors back in the day and they were not totally correct, it was after that coin they started using the Motto "In God WE Trust" on All of the rest of the $20 Gold Libs, that's is correct and maybe back then, things didn't fly off the grid like the CBS Evening News w/ Scott Pelley. But as far as my family theory goes, we missed it by a month as they had passed it in Congress before Lincoln was Assassinated. Unless! It was John Wilkes Booth, lobbying in Congress on Abe's behalf, I was wrong wrong wrong. But it was an honest mistake, that is partially true and gaining all you folks as friends and mentors has been more than worth it. Constructively, the occasional kick in the ass is good for me, and I'm waiting for all you ole timers out there to pass me the torch someday. Now I have a forum to check these kind of facts before I go stinking up the place. jt image >>

OK, thanks.

For the record, the Granite Lady was not completed until 1874.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Fishing Stories is what I am still hearing.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard JackTrout..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, another fisherman on these boards!
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jack Trout.

Bob Coin.

Ridiculous! (but welcome image)
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums. enjoy your stay with us image
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    BTW Jack - it is very gutsy of you to come here and face everyone. Most would have not.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Jack! Hope to meet you someday and talk history, coins and even do some fishing in Chile.
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome!

Here's a salmon for you.

The 1943 Irish florin is the king of modern Irish predecimal coins. Something like 35 are thought to have survived melting, and this is one of only four Mint State examples known.

Not my coin- I wish it was! The '43 florin is the only Irish 1928-69 Irish predecimal coin I lacked in my old collection. I did have the rare 1943 halfcrown (~500 pcs known), but the florin is much rarer. >>

I need that coin in my pocket out on guides trips, then I can flip it like Two-Face and see what kind of luck we'll have for the day.. Thanks for sharing that coin, I had never seen it before, jt
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome!

Here's a salmon for you.

Not my coin- I wish it was! The '43 florin is the only Irish 1928-69 Irish predecimal coin I lacked in my old collection. I did have the rare 1943 halfcrown (~500 pcs known), but the florin is much rarer. >>

• Options

<< <i>Welcome Jack! Hope to meet you someday and talk history, coins and even do some fishing in Chile. >>

I was out on the Rio Petrohue yesterday and we hooked two huge salmon on the fly, the client played one for two hours. I am so soar today I couldn't even flip a coin, afterwards I had to row 5 miles in 1 hour or the shuttle service might just leave I thought. I will be back in Shasta to guide 1st week of April for any of those who want to drown me. I am trying to upload a photo of this nice sea run brown, but I guess I'm not doing something right. Trout
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Hey out of curiosity I just googled you and I found your Fishing Guide site. In my book being a Fly Fisherman for Trout
    makes you an alright kind of guy.

Now being a Coin Nerd doesn't do much for ones reputation so be very careful about letting any fishing clients
    know about any Coin interests you may have. Just trying to preserve your image in the eyes of the world. image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey out of curiosity I just googled you and I found your Fishing Guide site. In my book being a Fly Fisherman for Trout
    makes you an alright kind of guy.

Now being a Coin Nerd doesn't do much for ones reputation so be very careful about letting any fishing clients
    know about any Coin interests you may have. Just trying to preserve your image in the eyes of the world. image >>

Thanks for that insight,

My passion is both, though the coin industry is suspect at best. Actually talking coins with clients has been a hit as many have been given misinformation by their favorite stock broker who compares it to trading baseball cards. Now if we can just get loan underwriters on board that give mortgage loans, etc, to have a company or grading service that could appraise your collection similar to how they grade stock portfolios and this could be used in determining part of your assets also with modern day hard-line loan underwriters. Like how they do Comparative Market Analysis in Real Estate and determine values of your home, we now have comps also with online sales of coins. (Very important to the industry as I don't only collect for fun.)
    This is something that needs to be pursued by the industry as when I went to refy my loan on my house, my coin collection wasn't an asset they were interested in addition to credit worthiness and acceptable assets in determining my value for my refy.

Trout image
  • Options

<< <i>BTW Jack - it is very gutsy of you to come here and face everyone. Most would have not. >>

I care about you folks or I wouldn't of come on board, now you're stuck with me. image I'm all about good and I want you to help me learn.

Maybe someday, I could actually get it right. Trout Nerd
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy, Jack. Welcome!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file