Home Metal Detecting
Options

Digs o' the Day (2011-02-06, previously unpublished)- guess what this has to do with Peace dollars

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, time for some fun. Here is an old outing which never got a writeup.

Guess what it has to do with silver dollars, specifically the 1921-1935 "Peace" dollar design.

(Don't worry- it's pretty easy.)

I'm about to post a series of photos from an unpublished metal detector outing which took place on February 6, 2011, in Machen Square, downtown Brunswick, Georgia, while the square was being renovated. They put in a fountain, and used some neat old stone pediments salvaged from a 19th century building for decor.

No, I didn't find a Peace dollar. I wish! Haven't dug any silver dollars yet. Only one Sac dollar and some silver halves.

I like "demo" sites like this because they provide a limited window of opportunity to "put the coil to the soil" without any intervening sod and grass and the top inch or two of modern-trash-laden soil is gone.

Here's an "after" picture of the same place.

Previously, I had only found one silver coin (a crusty War nickel) in this square, but lots of targets turned up once I was detecting it with all the grass gone. There weren't too many coins this time around (maybe one or two Wheaties and some Memorial cents at most), but I did find a Finninsh 1-pennia coin from my birthyear, oddly enough. Perhaps that shouldn't be too surprising, as this is a seaport.

That Sea Island Company fob is interesting. If that "155" is an employee number, it dates to the early 1930s at the latest. I work for that company, which was founded in 1928. My original 1990s employee number was #17264. But more than likely that is an old tool check.

Neat old Master key with the lion on it. I've dug an old lock to match, with the lion's head.

One interesting find was this plate from a "Neverout" kerosene lamp, which would have likely been on a headlamp from a bicycle or very early automobile, circa 1910-1915 or so.

Pocket watch movement, crusty Wheaties, glass bottle punt, and an interesting little seal of some kind.

Boy, that wristwatch really had me going for a second. Old, but not old enough or gold enough to be of any interest, I'm afraid.

Last but not least, a neat little gilt pin.

So by now a few of you are asking, "What in the HECK does this have to do with Peace dollars?" and are no doubt a bit annoyed with me.

The rest of you figured it out right away, of course.

I had a hunch when I dug the item in question that there was a certain similarity to a certain US coin design.

After I did some Googling, my hunch was proven correct.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting finds...especially the 'ruptured duck' pin..... I remember them from when I was a kid.... heard the term and thought it was funny - then it was explained to me. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool finds, Rob.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Excellent post.

Learned something today. Thank you, kind sir.