Home U.S. Coin Forum

The “Why was this coin submitted for grading” thread

our
I recently picked up some coins that were graded by PCGS. Several problem coins. When I looked at them, I wondered, “Why would any submit these? These are clearly problem coins?”. Now I know some people submit low grade coins for the novelty of a pop 1 coin, etc. But some graded coins simply defy logic to me. So here are a few. Let's see yours.

This coin is just ugly. Also my first graffiti coin

Pretty sure that dark area on the back was there when submitted.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those ARE strange.

They're not slick enough to be lowball contenders, so one wonders why. Odd.

I remember seeing something like an NGC VF20 1956-D Wheat cent listed on Teletrade once.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for starting this thread......I will be collecting my prize now

www.brunkauctions.com

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the early days of PCGS when few people were submitting moderns, someone slabbed a 1988-D dime in AU50 just for the heck of it. It's probably still in the pop. report.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Thank you for starting this thread......I will be collecting my prize now >>

That is really hilarious! (the coin/slab)
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Who cares?

After all, who business is it what others do anyway?

Perhaps the better question would be "why on earth would you buy them knowing that they were crap?

But again...........who cares.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking the nickel was sent in by someone thinking it was a mint error of some type.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One can certainly appreciate the absurdity.

• << <i>

Perhaps the better question would be "why on earth would you buy them knowing that they were crap?

>>

Well, because I can sell them for more than I bought them.

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set Registry and Collectors Club freebies:

When in doubt, don't.
  • MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    I had purchased a Wright Bros six coin set from the Mint in 2003. Sent them in to be graded and got all MS or PR 69's except for this.

Bad luck. Not the conditional rarity I was looking for.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how did that earn the 63? Is the reverse scratched ????

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, send that 63 back in for reconsideration. They probably meant 68 and someone goofed?
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    That Wright Bros coin looks spectacular on the obverse.

What's the deal with it?
    Ed
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no logical reason. Man is inherently stupid.
    That's why God made coin collectors.… So other people had something to laugh about.

HE>I

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had purchased a Wright Bros six coin set from the Mint in 2003. Sent them in to be graded and got all MS or PR 69's except for this.

Bad luck. Not the conditional rarity I was looking for. >>

The cert says MS63 but valued at $695. On ebay several MS69s have sold $680 to $728 with a NGC MS70 selling at $735. I wouldn't resubmit unless there's no cost to you if it's a clerical error. But a MS70 is a $1000 coin. Keep it and adore it or sell as a clerical error or sell for $695 and get another.
    But than again, there might be rim damage you can't see. But I don't understand the little price difference.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Wright coin (MS63) could hold the satisfaction of being the lo-ball to the series.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    I've done this before and this could be a reason - my father-in-law when he died had several morgans that were
    intended to be handed down to the grandkids. Nothing special and obviously cleaned, but in order to keep them
    separate from the rest of my "junk" I had them slabbed until the grandkids were old enough to appreciate
    where they were coming from.
    palmer
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see most any coin getting slabbed for sentimental reasons. A remembrance, inheritance, lucky coin, first business money. The possibilities are endless, and certainly include stupidity. But maybe not as much as it seems.
    Lance.
    I am going to virtually "steal" this one from Airplanenut.

I only hope he still owns it, and never, ever cracks it out.

Definitely my all time favorite. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've included a worthless/junk coin in order to meet the 5 or 10 coin minimum submission.
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

• << <i>I am going to virtually "steal" this one from Airplanenut.

image >>

WTF? They may take the cake for most messed up coin ever.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

<< <i>WTF? They may take the cake for most messed up coin ever. >>

TOLDYA SO!!! image

That's why I have admired that thing for years.

It takes a very special coin to get FIVE different problem notations on a slab label. Heh. image

Edit... no... wait...

That's SIX problem notations! Bwahahaha!

Savoyspecial's "Gennie" 1984-D nickel WAS the prizewinner for a while, but I challenge anybody to top Jeremy's 1829 dime! It's a classic!

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Savoyspecial's "Gennie" 1984-D nickel WAS the prizewinner for a while, but I challenge anybody to top Jeremy's 1829 dime! It's a classic!

IIRC, airplanenut's 1829 dime was artificially messed up with the intent of receiving the label with the most problems listed. In fact, I think that Jeremy specifically asked ANACS to list all of the problems. Jeremy, please correct me if I am wrong. I am getting old, but that's how I remember the story.

Savoyspecial, you may want to cross your 1984-D nickel at NGC. I think it has a good shot at grading ATS. image
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It takes a very special coin to get FIVE different problem notations on a slab label. Heh. image

Edit... no... wait...

That's SIX problem notations! Bwahahaha! >>

I see even more problems but ANACS ran out of room on the label.
    Lance.
  • If that coin is tooled, it was tooled to make it look WORSE. All the other probs are warranted.

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Well, because I can sell them for more than I bought them. >>

You must have gotten them for below melt to be able to turn a profit on them. Well, unless you crack em and dip em, that might do it.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Savoyspecial's "Gennie" 1984-D nickel WAS the prizewinner for a while, but I challenge anybody to top Jeremy's 1829 dime! It's a classic!

IIRC, airplanenut's 1829 dime was artificially messed up with the intent of receiving the label with the most problems listed. In fact, I think that Jeremy specifically asked ANACS to list all of the problems. Jeremy, please correct me if I am wrong. I am getting old, but that's how I remember the story.
    >>

That's basically the story. I emailed Mike Farone (this was well before his move to PCGS) and asked if they'd make a label without a barcode to list lots of problems. He said they would, so I set out to find the right coin. I got the coin as a horrifically cleaned good (that's the best way to describe it), so please don't think I damaged a coin that was ever "nice." At the 2003 Baltimore ANA, I sat down with Mike to work out how to maximize the label's potential. We listed every problem with the coin (more than is shown on the holder... somewhere I probably have the submission form) and then he went back to the office to play with layouts until every last space was taken. That coin's been a lot of fun to show off over the years image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am going to virtually "steal" this one from Airplanenut.

image >>

Someone thought it was a curled-base 2... image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
    Aww, some of the mystique just went outta the Airplanenut dime.

I still love it, though. image

• All right, since the dime's been dethroned, here's a candidate: why?
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image

Thank you for starting this thread......I will be collecting my prize now >>

That is really hilarious! (the coin/slab) >>

Someone might have thought this was a mint error?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>All right, since the dime's been dethroned, here's a candidate: why?<<<

No way that 1802 copper dethrones the 1829 dime has WAY more problems. If it was a curl base 2........I would puke!image
  • The dime was disqualified because it was made on purpose.

Here's a great one: Lost all respect for SEGS. What's next, Chinese fakes?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out this 1893 Columbian half dollar on eBay. If he gets the asking the price, we'll known why it was submitted for grading. Otherwise ...image

1893 Columbian Half
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Is there a report for something like that? That has to go.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a report for something like that? That has to go. >>

I presume you are talking about the 1893 Columbian half in the "details" grade.

I doubt that there is and really there shouldn't be. After a while this hand holding thing has to have a limit. The coin is graded by a top certification service. The seller has added some hype; and it's up the potential customer to do some research to avoid falling into the pit. When you have Google and the Internet there is not excuse to be so poorly informed as to pay $600 for this hunk of bullion.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there a report for something like that? That has to go. >>

I presume you are talking about the 1893 Columbian half in the "details" grade.

I doubt that there is and really there shouldn't be. After a while this hand holding thing has to have a limit. The coin is graded by a top certification service. The seller has added some hype; and it's up the potential customer to do some research to avoid falling into the pit. When you have Google and the Internet there is not excuse to be so poorly informed as to pay $600 for this hunk of bullion. >>

Looking for a "LIKE" button!

The name is LEE!
  • I believe we have our WINNER! Who would buy this in their right mind. REALLY. Who would pay money to have this slabbed. Not to mention he's charging more than like $5 for it. I could see $5 cause it's funny that it's slabbed, a conv piece for coin clubs and the like. But this guy has LOST HIS MARBLES to try to get $150 for it. this is our champion!
    imageimage
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I believe we have our WINNER! Who would buy this in their right mind. REALLY. Who would pay money to have this slabbed. Not to mention he's charging more than like $5 for it. I could see $5 cause it's funny that it's slabbed, a conv piece for coin clubs and the like. But this guy has LOST HIS MARBLES to try to get $150 for it. this is our champion!
    imageimage >>

Again, you are SOOOOOO naive!
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of this stuff comes from....

A. Someone looking for a variety.
    B. Someone trying for a big score in grade but that does not know anything about grading
    C. Someone who went to a dealer with Dad's collection and felt his skin start to crawl and decided to "ship the whole thing to PCGS."

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe we have our WINNER! Who would buy this in their right mind. REALLY. Who would pay money to have this slabbed. Not to mention he's charging more than like $5 for it. I could see $5 cause it's funny that it's slabbed, a conv piece for coin clubs and the like. But this guy has LOST HIS MARBLES to try to get $150 for it. this is our champion!
    imageimage >>

I could see this going for well past $150 if it were in a PCGS holder.

• << <i>Most of this stuff comes from....

A. Someone looking for a variety.
    B. Someone trying for a big score in grade but that does not know anything about grading
    C. Someone who went to a dealer with Dad's collection and felt his skin start to crawl and decided to "ship the whole thing to PCGS." >>

I agree with all three. I bet that horrid Ike came from Group 3. Dad's lucky pocket piece, anyone?
    I have sold better examples of this date and type in my $1 bin at the antique mall.

And its larger 10-centimos counterparts, too.

Somebody paid to have a cleaned example put in a PCGS Secure holder. Who knows why. Submission filler, perhaps?

The seller was right- it's "absolutely incredible", all right, but probably not for the reasons he thought. And yeah, sure, it's a Pop 1. Because nobody else would have been that silly.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that don't know why the FR2 Ike was slabbed don't look at the Lowball section of the Registry set. And don't forget Braddicks offer for a PO01 Ike.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file