Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Full Brockage Error on a Wheat Cent

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been imaging some coins and I think this one is cool ......

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why do some of these have a design underneath and others don't?

ie, sometimes you can see lincoln or the memorial and sometimes you can't.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I like that!!
    Dan
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.

. >>

It's just mild ghosting from being stuck by the underlying obverse die capped with a adhered cent.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.

. >>

As the cap gets pounded thinner and thinner under repeated blows, the design of the die under the cap starts to emerge as a "ghost image."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are these worth generally?
  • Options
    i just want to be thorough on my point because i will commit it to memory.

so if there is coin with brockage with no underlying design elements, that means it is just an eds.

part 2:

why doesn't the holder state, "struck through die cap"

struck-through die cap and brockage aren't the same thing are they?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.

so if there is coin with brockage with no underlying design elements, that means it is just an eds.

part 2:

. >>

If part of the design is still visible, it is a brockage. If the design is pounded away, it is a capped die strike. The brockage is more desireable.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>.

part 2:

. >>

If part of the design is still visible, it is a brockage. If the design is pounded away, it is a capped die strike. The brockage is more desireable. >>

so then a collection of emission sequence struck through die cap coins are possible as the design is spread further and further out on each subsequent coin where the first is brockage and the last struck through die cap?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>.

part 2:

. >>

If part of the design is still visible, it is a brockage. If the design is pounded away, it is a capped die strike. The brockage is more desireable. >>

so then a collection of emission sequence struck through die cap coins are possible as the design is spread further and further out on each subsequent coin where the first is brockage and the last struck through die cap?
    . >>

Yes there's early and late capped die stages as the more ghosting you see the later the strike.

Below is a image of the culprit a die cap which with repeated blows against planchets feed stretches as the side walls mushroom up.

This example barley shows any trace of the memorial reverse once received from the reverse die and shows how the ghosting of the obverse die occurs.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool error cent..... although I am constantly looking, I have never found any of these cent errors in change - other than a blank planchet. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool error cent..... although I am constantly looking, I have never found any of these cent errors in change - other than a blank planchet. Cheers, RickO >>

The possibility of finding this type of error coin in change is close to Zero.

Almost ALL major error coins are bought and not found. Yes someone has to find them, (most are already found), but your chances are extremely slim.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file