Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My dream is to open a coin shop in....

Tombstone Arizona. Been considering it for half a dozen years. I specialize in Morgan Dollars so Tombstone would be a good fit.

Sell coins to the tourists and run the online business when things are slow.

Probably less security issues than in Tucson.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    image Could be a success!
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stone. When you come to visit, the vittles and sarsaparilla are on me.

Have been told that only a few property owners control the retail on Allen St. Have to get out there and see what I can do.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it!

"O.K. Coin Corral" ?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to specialize in 1800s coins from the western mints- S and CC. That's where your sales pitch can be most effective. Did you look into the operating costs for getting some good real estate there?

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting. Maybe you could sell some Morgans with a bullet hole in them.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Birdcage Saloon is now a museum. Lots of traffic on weekends. Note the upper level partitions, where business was conducted on the side.image
  • Options
    Sounds like a great idea! However, good luck selling CC morgan's to tourists who have no idea what a silver dollar is. I can see it now... "What do you mean it costs more than a dollar? It's stamped one dollar right here on the coin."
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Langtry,Texas.Across the street from Judge Roy Bean's bar.Way Out West Coins.Come see me whenever your in the neighborhood.
  • Options
    I wonder how coin shops in tourist locations do. Seems to me that not many do serious shopping in these kind of places but are looking for some trinket to remember the trip. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    I won't think tourists would be looking for high dollar coins and I doubt many would be bringing in coins to sell.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder how coin shops in tourist locations do. Seems to me that not many do serious shopping in these kind of places but are looking for some trinket to remember the trip. I could be wrong though. >>

The key is finding the right location at a decent rate. Just saw a 16,000 ft building for sale at $2,900,000.

Obviously way more space than I need, but it gives me an idea of square footage cost.

Be heading out there next week.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgans would fly off the shelves. Stock up on the less expensive CC's in VF. Sell them in weathered wood boxes shaped like coffins with some marketing hype.

Or maybe PCGS would do a custom Tombstone label with a crude crucifix. Pedigree anyone? There's the Earp collection, McLaury, Clanton.

You could get rich! Well, maybe not.
    Lance.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I won't think tourists would be looking for high dollar coins and I doubt many would be bringing in coins to sell. >>

they are springing for stetson hats!

• Options

<< <i>Stock up on the less expensive CC's in VF. Sell them in weathered wood boxes shaped like coffins with some marketing hype. >>

Wouldn't even need a vault. Just find an old tree to hide the good stuff under.
  • Options
    Arizona in the summer. Now that is real melt value.
  • Options

<< <i>Arizona in the summer. Now that is real melt value. >>

Tombstone is high desert, 4500 ft elevation.
  • Options
    themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    Custom made one ounce pieces shaped like headstones might interest tourists.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Stock up on the less expensive CC's in VF. Sell them in weathered wood boxes shaped like coffins with some marketing hype. >>

Wouldn't even need a vault. Just find an old tree to hide the good stuff under. >>

Tombstone, AZ - November 4, 2068 - Local man discovers $10,000,000 hoard of silver dollars in his backyard.

It was just announced that a long-timeTombstone resident discovered a hoard of circulated US silver dollars in his back yard.. Michael "Little Mikey" Glicker III, grandson of local entrepreneur Michael Glicker, famed owner of the Tombstone Coin Cemetery and The Chicago Pizza and BBQ, made an amazing find in his backyard yesterday. The hoard, two put-together rolls of various dates issued by the US Government and made at the historic Carson City Nevada Mint. The two rolls (40 coins) were immediately seized by Federal officials who watched the discovery when one of there drones spotted "suspicious activity".

Recompense was made with a Universal Debit Card to the value of the silver. The forty coins contain almost a full ounce of silver (an IRS agent was observed with his thumb on the scales) worth, at current market rates, $250,000 per ounce. The 178,437.92 amount was the remainder of the $10,000,000 after Federal, state and local taxes were subtracted..

"Little Mikey" was ebullient. Said he, Grampa used to tease Dad about some great stuff to "be found in the yard." Dandled we kids on his knees and whispered "Someday your Dad or you kids are going to worth more than the Flying Dutchman Mine. Remember these three magic letters but don't tell your Dad until the day comes"

"Pay attention, then keep your mouths shut." ROI. . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it turns out for you. You will be the exception if you do not overprice and over grade the heck out the dollars as that has been my experience when visiting Virginia City and other Nevada historic sites along with New Orleans coin shops, etc. The goal is to sell the novelty silver dollar to unknowlegable tourist way over price as oppose to a knowledgable collector and tourist at a fair price. Seems to me you would sell a lot more dollars using the latter model.

Good luck

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Note the upper level partitions, where business was conducted on the side>>

Make sure your coin shop has "upper level partitions" for a little business on the side too. The upstairs business could only be paid for with silver dollars which would greatly increase your revenue.......

OINK
  • Options
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the Sinaloa Cartel could fund you with some operating capital ? I hear they like to make business partners with the gringos. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Sell coins to tourists"

really?

the online business is irrelevant, you can do that anywhere. You want to be in the business of trying to sell coins to tourists?

really?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I'd go! And I would buy something!!!
  • Options

<< <i>"Sell coins to tourists"

really?

the online business is irrelevant, you can do that anywhere. You want to be in the business of trying to sell coins to tourists?

really? >>

Actually I want a good excuse to move out of Tucson and relocate to Tombstone. Coin shop is a bonus.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    up here on the us/canada border in maine......never been further west than pennsylvania.....you open a coin shop in tombstone and I will come image
  • Options
    I think if you sell smoothies too you will be OK.
  • Options

<< <i>I think if you sell smoothies too you will be OK. >>

Most of the Morgans will be. image
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I have been to Tombstone and while the idea is a romantic one, it is not one I would recommend. Is a person who truly enjoys coins going to be happy selling circulated dreck to the tourists? The business model of selling one to everyone instead of repeat business is not one that has legs, particularly when there is an economic downturn (not predicting one, just that there always is one sooner or later). I think a rare coin store in the Wall St. area might be more fun. High end coins for the wealthy in NYC. Lots of opportunity for enjoying great coins and making some money as well. Clearly, start up costs would be higher, and there is the whole New York experience, but that would be a fun coin store IMHO.

Good luck if you are serious!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    You should also deal in Arizona national bank notes.
    Matt
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>…my pajamas. >>

Sorry RYK, no consignments at first!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    lets face it guys - I wish you luck, but having experience running one - you are pitching your goods to a select bunch of people.

all those wall street'ers are so hyped up on securities and paper, those few old guys who actually remember buying physical gold are already retired.

as for the tombstone bit - I think those peeps would rather buy cell phone accessories.

without the young people actually participating in the hobby - we are in for a big downturn in about 20-30 years

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<Note the upper level partitions, where business was conducted on the side>>

Make sure your coin shop has "upper level partitions" for a little business on the side too. The upstairs business could only be paid for with silver dollars which would greatly increase your revenue.......

OINK >>

More profitable if the customer service agents are particularly adept at their trade.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think if you sell smoothies too you will be OK. >>

Most of the Morgans will be. image >>

If you sell fossils, as well as cater to them, I just might drive down to your shop.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tombstone!?!

Customers might be afraid you'll bury them. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Tombstone!?!

Customers might be afraid you'll bury them. image >>

You have to earn the buyers trust. It can't be taken for granite.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"Sell coins to tourists"

really?

really? >>

Actually I want a good excuse to move out of Tucson and relocate to Tombstone. Coin shop is a bonus. >>

That sort of shuts up the naysayers. Coin shop as a hobby, just so you have an excuse to go there, and a place to go when you do. Could be an expensive hobby, but if you got the money...
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    I SUGGEST YOU GO FOR IT~~!!!!!

if i had a shop in Tombstone id stock

bins of no date buffalo nickels

silver ounce "bullets"

one ounce copper rounds

reproduction brothel tokens

magic coins

BT&C
  • Options

Tombstone is a dying town ... just a matter of when

I used to be stationed in Ft WeGotcha back in the early 70s for a while. The place had much more business then. This last generation has no real attachment to the Old West emotionally and I predict at one point the town will be dead.

Last time I was there Chaperoning (sp) a school field trip, it wasn't doing so well.

IMHO, the money to be made in coins is on the buying end. Your opportunities for buying collections there would dry up faster than your spit in July.

The coin shop in Virginia City has really high prices. I'm surprised they're still in business. Goes to show how much I know.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen ribs from JD's favorite place outside of Memphis shipped FedEx to Long Beach shows.

What about the Windy City's second best victual, just a bit behind franks and ballpark brats (and those special condiments)?

What about pizza? The occasional care package from The Saint?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>IMHO, the money to be made in coins is on the buying end. Your opportunities for buying collections there would dry up faster than your spit in July. >>

Thank you for the input. I will spend a fair amount of additional time in Tombstone before making any decisions.

Considered opening a full scale B&M in Tucson a decade ago. Still fresh in my mind was a slaughter by two thugs at a Pizza Hut less than a mile away. That was over a few hundred bucks, what would they do for a load of silver or gold.

Perhaps I am delusional in thinking that Tombstone is less prone to such crime, but I believe it to be much safer for this type of business.

If I am wrong, Boot Hill is right down the road......

Will keep you guys updated.
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Go for it!

"O.K. Coin Corral" ? >>

I like it!
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The key is finding the right location at a decent rate. Just saw a 16,000 ft building for sale at $2,900,000.

That would be $181.25/ft².Tourists will buy your junker dollars if you have them priced right.You better be able to move quite a few of them on a regular basis if you expect to see a modest profit. It is highly unlikely that you will get much interest from tourists for your better date/better grade Morgans.

A common tourist question:

Why are some of your silver dollars in plastic holders and why do they cost so much?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you follow through and open a shop in Tombstone, good luck to you.

Of course, if you wanted to choose a town other than Tombstone that has an Old West flavor to it, you could always simply move a little bit further West into the lovely Old West town of Calico, California.

Calico is right next to Barstow, California and has always (at least in my mind after visiting there once in 1981 while driving back to LA from attending a Vegas wedding and observing residents and tourists of the old mines located there who were so "out there" that they would scare the pants off of "Humungous" and the other assorted bad guys in the Mad Max movies) been known as "The Playground Of Barstow's Effluent".
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    If it is in you, go for it. You will find a way to make it happen.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could work, I don't agree that most tourists don't spend money. I believe they would buy the right items weather high end or not if represented properly. We are all Americans an the economy is about the same from east to west being on vacation might actually open up a buying appetite. I personally refrain from buying cheap chit on trips but will crack out bucks for the right thing anywhere.

Maybe on your fact finding mission you try to make a deal with a current store owner to try out your material, see how things actually sell there. Why go all in at once? I wouldn't open a pizza stand without actually working in one for least a year.

Personally, I'd never want to get pinned down in a shop in AZ. Would want to head to the hills and swing a metal detector or dig gemstones in the desert during winter, have a beer in Tombstone, then get back north for the summer and do the same there.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭
    A fitting name; "Tourist Trap Coins & Currency"...

Just a suggestion image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    You can not fail unless you try or something like that.

Actually most any business will be viable if you work at it, roll with the flow and make changes as needed. I personally would be a bit worried but if you control the cost.....

I would be concerned about material coming thru the door to buy. You need those old widow ladies and meth heads bringing in coins/silver/bullion that you can buy for cents on the dollar.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tombstone Arizona. Been considering it for half a dozen years. I specialize in Morgan Dollars so Tombstone would be a good fit.

Sell coins to the tourists and run the online business when things are slow.

Probably less security issues than in Tucson.

image >>

Not a bad idea. Last time I was in Carson City I almost felt obligated to buy a silver dollar from one of the two main coin shops that are within a block of the museumed Carson City Mint. (Did take home the commemorative coin they were minting that day though. Tip to those visiting CC, don't miss seeing the original money press in action which locals make a point of operating each Friday - or so I understood though the link below only guarantees it operates on the last Friday of every month. Probably depends on the season and if they have a run of commemoratives they are trying to get out.)

The original Press at the Carson City Mint

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file