Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can someone explain this "limited edition" silver proof stuff?

I had read this thread and that was my first knowledge of these things (as I've explained elsewhere, I've been out of this hobby for thirty years).

I see that the mint has been making some silver proof sets for a while, but these "limited edition" sets started in 2012 and I do not understand them. What's "limited"? Is it the set - that is, is it the packaging by the mint or are some of the coins not available (in silver or in proof) otherwise? Is it this that makes the difference?

"The American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin is a collector version of the official United States Mint American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin."

Very confusing and Google doesn't help because all I find is stuff for sale :-)

Comments

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term limited is a marketing tool used to create buzz and interest. Nothing more than sliver proofs in pretty packaging sold for a premium.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>The term limited is a marketing tool used to create buzz and interest. Nothing more than sliver proofs in pretty packaging sold for a premium. >>

So it's only the packaging that is limited, then. The mint site is so confusing now..
  • Options

<< <i>I had read this thread and that was my first knowledge of these things (as I've explained elsewhere, I've been out of this hobby for thirty years).

I see that the mint has been making some silver proof sets for a while, but these "limited edition" sets started in 2012 and I do not understand them. What's "limited"? Is it the set - that is, is it the packaging by the mint or are some of the coins not available (in silver or in proof) otherwise? Is it this that makes the difference?

"The American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin is a collector version of the official United States Mint American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin."

Very confusing and Google doesn't help because all I find is stuff for sale :-) >>

You know how the Post Office started selling commemorative stamps for every and any conceivable occasion years ago thus almost single-handedly pretty much destroying stamp collecting as a hobby? Yeah, it's like that.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Just new packaging of the silver proof set with a proof ASE included.

Silver proof set alone was $54. Proof ASE alone was $53. Comes to $107. This "limited edition" that puts those together is $33 more.

I don't follow all the Mint items closely, but is it odd that this 2013 set isn't even available until March 2014? Is this just a way of repackaging leftovers at a higher price?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>Just new packaging of the silver proof set with a proof ASE included.

Silver proof set alone was $54. Proof ASE alone was $53. Comes to $107. This "limited edition" that puts those together is $33 more. >>

Actually, I don't even see that. Looks like the $54.00 set was/is 14 coins and the Proof ASE is of course 1 and the "limited edition" is only 8 of them..

Seems like a really bad buy unless I'm missing something?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you're right - it doesn't even have all the coins that were included in the Silver Proof set, it's just the silver coins.

The proof silver quarters set by itself was $32. So this Limited Edition set has the $32 proof silver quarters, the $53 proof ASE = $85. So you're paying $55 more for the Limited Edition set, but getting a proof silver half and dime also. Oh, and also getting that premium packaging, too! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caveat Emptor...... especially where the government is involved...image Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file