Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this 84 Star Jordan real or fake?

I've been looking to get one of these for a while. I said I would only buy it already graded by bgs since I'm not an expert on these I don't want to take a chance on a fake. I saw this one graded by pcg which I never heard of but the seller's feedback was good. Any thoughts?

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    Awesome card!

Centering looks bad (which is a good sign it is real). Most legit examples I have seen in BGS holders are OC L-R.

Hard to tell from the image. Need to make sure the edges are not re-colored.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I agree on the centering. That was one of the things that is tempting me to take a shot.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my fake one for comparison.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is only one person that I would purchase a 84 Star Jordan from, and that is the foremost authority in the hobby, Steve Taft. You can find him on eBay, his seller if is stevetaft.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Is there anything specific I should be looking for to determine if its real or not? Anyone know anything about pcg? Thanks
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is only one person that I would purchase a 84 Star Jordan from, and that is the foremost authority in the hobby, Steve Taft. You can find him on eBay, his seller if is stevetaft. >>

Either that or find a way to have Steve Taft verify it's authenticity. He's the best when it comes to Star Co. cards. The one in the pic I wouldn't offer an opinion on unless I had a really good scan, or maybe had in hand. I will say this, the centering, like others have mentioned, gives it the appearance of being legit. O/C is par for the course.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to send some things to SGC and see that they also do not grade the Star basketball cards either.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is only one person that I would purchase a 84 Star Jordan from, and that is the foremost authority in the hobby, Steve Taft. You can find him on eBay, his seller if is stevetaft. >>

This. I would value his opinion much more than even BGS
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    wait for the nuts to chime in...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I would say real but potentially trimmed. I think there should be a little more border on the sides. That would also explain why it's in a PCG holder and not BGS. Although Star's cutting was all over the place so it could have just been cut short.

I'd have trouble pulling the trigger unless it's a very low risk prop (like $350). Even in a BGS Authentic holder you're looking at $650+.

Lee
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say real but potentially trimmed. I think there should be a little more border on the sides. That would also explain why it's in a PCG holder and not BGS. Although Star's cutting was all over the place so it could have just been cut short.

I'd have trouble pulling the trigger unless it's a very low risk prop (like $350). Even in a BGS Authentic holder you're looking at $650+.

Lee >>

Hiya Lee

Was there controversy over the printing of these issues in that they may have printed them for more than one year before destroying the plates?

That's where my "old man's" memory is going.
    Mike
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Was there controversy over the printing of these issues in that they may have printed them for more than one year before destroying the plates?

Yes, but not for this particular card or really any of the base team sets. It was some of the weird sets like Crunch & Munch and ROY sets that were most likely reprinted years after the initial printing. In fact, some of the 84 and 85 subsets were created in the 90s and some were sold on Shop at Home as "MICHAEL JORDAN ROOKIES IN GEM MINT TEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!".

The base sets were heavily counterfeited though, but it's not tough to tell which are counterfeits if you have them in hand. PSA's stance against not grading ANY Star basketball is pretty perplexing.

Lee