Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Amazing hoard of gold coins found!

A couple in California's Gold Country were walking with their dog, and stumbled upon an amazing hoard of coins:

link to story

Comments

• Options
    Walking my dog in the wrong places.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    That is what I dream about finding with my metal detector. So awesome. Think about how much is still out there waiting to be found !
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is what I dream about finding with my metal detector. So awesome. Think about how much is still out there waiting to be found ! >>

+1

I just got a detector last summer. Only found a wee bit of pocket change, but I still have hopes of finding better things this year.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this is just an incredible story! This is the baseball card erquivalent of finding a vending box filled with NM-MT 1952 Mantle Rookies under the floorboards!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome story. I saw on tv once how gold prospectors back in the 1800's would stash their finds in holes in the ground then come back and get them at a later date. I guess the guy that buried these ran into trouble somewhere and found himself dead in a hole. No way you wouldn't come back for that much gold. Unless of course he was just a dumba$$ and forgot where he stashed them.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    That's right. How about the guy in the movie Fargo, who buried all his loot against a fence in the snow. Gotta get me a shovel. :-)
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's right. How about the guy in the movie Fargo, who buried all his loot against a fence in the snow. Gotta get me a shovel. :-) >>

And a wood chipper just in case

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the kid in Stand By Me ever found his jar under the porch
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just covered this on Squawk Box. Some of the coins could be worth as much as a million a piece.

Unreal.
  • Options
    Zep33, I love your signature!
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    The best thing was it was graded by PCGS, sister company of PSA. CLCT probably made $100K in grading fees for this one lot.

There was a rumor a month or so ago that the principals of PCGS sold some of their stock (that part is verifiable) to buy some really unique rare coins. I have a theory that they bought some of these coins before they ever hit the market. These are once in a lifetime coins, some the finest known.

It would make a nice PR if one of these coins was the 50 Millionth item certified by CLCT.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wow. that's a lotta sparkle. almost enough for them to assist the State with it's dire need for improvement by filling a pothole and paying the Caltrans workers who watched it happen.
  • Options

<< <i>The best thing was it was graded by PCGS, sister company of PSA. CLCT probably made $100K in grading fees for this one lot.

There was a rumor a month or so ago that the principals of PCGS sold some of their stock (that part is verifiable) to buy some really unique rare coins. I have a theory that they bought some of these coins before they ever hit the market. These are once in a lifetime coins, some the finest known.

It would make a nice PR if one of these coins was the 50 Millionth item certified by CLCT. >>

DJ Pres HALL Sells 28,000 Of COLLECTORS UNIVERSE INC >CLCT

4:41 PM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada) Feb 14, 2014

SOURCE: Form 4

ISSUER: COLLECTORS UNIVERSE INC
    SYMBOL: CLCT

This might be part of the sale you are referencing. It looks like he sold a decent amount of shares in the November time frame as well.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The best thing was it was graded by PCGS, sister company of PSA. CLCT probably made $100K in grading fees for this one lot.

It would make a nice PR if one of these coins was the 50 Millionth item certified by CLCT. >>

DJ Pres HALL Sells 28,000 Of COLLECTORS UNIVERSE INC >CLCT

4:41 PM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada) Feb 14, 2014

SOURCE: Form 4

ISSUER: COLLECTORS UNIVERSE INC
    SYMBOL: CLCT

This might be part of the sale you are referencing. It looks like he sold a decent amount of shares in the November time frame as well. >>

Yes. I was referring to the November sale and the September sale as well. Hall has held his stock for years and years without selling. Then out of the blue he starts selling. Rumor was he was buying coins. These are once in a lifetime coins. Van Simmons was also a seller and also rumored to be buying coins.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    When was the actual find? a year ago?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this is just an incredible story! This is the baseball card erquivalent of finding a vending box filled with NM-MT 1952 Mantle Rookies under the floorboards!

exactly. Heck, it would make my year if I bought a collection estate sale style or was gifted a collection and found ONE Mantle stuck in between all the 80's commons with dinged corners that go in the fireplace. These people find over 1300 coins ! You know the guy has to be bragging to his wife. "I told you this was the right house to buy !" Even though he probably bought it because it was a short drive to work.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

<< <i>When was the actual find? a year ago? >>

Found Feb 2013, about 1 year ago or so the couple claims. The timeline fits with David Hall's stock selling. Coins found in Feb. Hide for a while and do research. Go to Kagin. Kagin "cleans" coins. Sends to PCGS in summer of 2013. Hall sees coins, makes offer, sells stock, buys coin.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    "Walking the Dog, Walking the Dog, Walking the Dog"

Sorry, reliving my youth there
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    $4 million in tax, but $6 million in your pocket? I'll take it!
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    "Knock,Knock". Who's there? The IRS......I would have brought in a couple for evaluation, then secretly into the safety deposit box goes the rest until needed.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the government would have paid me 40% had THEY been walking their dog and found the coins
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
  • Options
    I would cry happy tears for about 6 months straight if I found that.
  • Options
    Interesting move higher in gold prices tonight.

Kitco

• Options
    $13 ?

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>$13 ? >>

In that range. Was a little higher.

Equity futures are lower and bond prices are up. Sometimes these knee jerk moves on a Sunday night during Asian trading reverse in the overnight session so it will be interesting to see where markets are in the morning. There was a sharp move off the highs in the market in the late afternoon Friday so the stakes have gone up for sure.

Gold has been firming for weeks and tonight's high print puts it at a at a new intermediate term high.
  • Options
    Good info...

- uncut

• Options
    Gold reached $1,351 a few hours ago and is currently at $1,346.

The SP 500 futures are 20 points below fair value with a global sell off in equities taking place. Treasury bonds are adding to their gains as well.

Today will be a very interesting session for sure.

• Options
    It seems like the gold may have a rightful owner after all, Uncle Sam.

link
  • Options
    Like I said before, they should have kept it to themselves.....
  • Options

<< <i>Like I said before, they should have kept it to themselves..... >>

why ? you can still commit tax fraud even if you announce it .. how does that affect anything?

I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • Options
    Ever hear of a guy named Richard Hatch? He was the Season One winner on Survivor, and he tried to evade paying taxes on his winnings. Can you see why that was a problem?
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

why ? you can still commit tax fraud even if you announce it .. how does that affect anything? >>

It affected the scrutiny that was brought upon them. Now, they will, in all likelihood get zilch.
  • Options
    It's not a matter of them "needing" to give it back, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is the gov't may pursue the return of their gold. Sorry if being a realist is raining on someone's parade. Reality sucks that way sometimes, I know.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Here is the way I see it. $27,000 was stolen from the Mint "back in the day". With the rate of inflation that would be worth approx $750,000 today. Have them return $750,000 to The US Mint and then sell the rest and Uncle same gets another $3,000,000 both sides are winners.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't there a statute of limitations with this stuff?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's not a matter of them "needing" to give it back, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is the gov't may pursue the return of their gold. Sorry if being a realist is raining on someone's parade. Reality sucks that way sometimes, I know. >>

I think you misread my post, I agree with you. They should have kept their mouth shut. I was commenting about the US Mint wanting those coins back because they were stolen. >>

I did misread- my mistake!!
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Knock,Knock". Who's there? The IRS......I would have brought in a couple for evaluation, then secretly into the safety deposit box goes the rest until needed. >>

Tax evasion is always the best option.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Now this is a great debate topic! Compelling reasons to take either side. Reminds me of the story about 20 years ago, when the guy bought a Nolan Ryan rookie for $12 at a card store, and the card store owner wanted the card back.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

why ? you can still commit tax fraud even if you announce it .. how does that affect anything? >>

It affected the scrutiny that was brought upon them. Now, they will, in all likelihood get zilch. >>

There are too many people out there that have nothing better to do than rain on somebody's parade. Even if it was stolen from the US Mint years ago, what does that have to do with the people who found it. I don't think the US Mint was actively searching for these coins.

Based on that standard, the museums around the world, especially the British Museum, needs to give back all of the artifacts that were looted from Greece, Rome, and Egypt. >>

Exactly my point/points. Now they probably get nothing. And honestly, is anyone on these boards paying capital gains on any of their card sales? If the IRS comes knocking and asked for their share, how would you react? I suppose that if you have a libertarian point of view, you'd say the IRS is overreaching.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a heads up to all, if you haven'nt already, visit the CU Coin forum. There are 2-3 very informative threads on the gold hoard. The Coin Forum is populated by many experts on coins and the legal/tax issues that may be facing the owners of the hoard.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    Coins could be stolen, article.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Mint says not stolen.

Eric
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>David McCarthy says not stolen. >>

fixed that for ya.
  • Options
    The gold content alone is probably over a million dollars, maybe they should have melted them down. image
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Was said best: Mo Money Mo Problems.

R.I.P. Biggie Smalls
  • Options

<< <i>The gold content alone is probably over a million dollars, maybe they should have melted them down. image >>

about $2M. This was discussed as an alternative in the coin forum.
  • Options
    If the gold content alone is $2 million, then the estimate of $10 million for the coins seems awfully low, especially if one coin might top $1 million.
  • Options
    99% of the coins are nothing special

I think the $1M estimate is hype. Another similar one sold for $200K recently. This whole hoard is a lot of hype possibly well orchestrated.