Home Precious Metals
Options

401K or not?

After 4 years as a stay-at-home mom, my wife got a job 3 months ago.
With the last paycheck, she found out that she has been automatically enrolled in her company’s 401K.
That made me think of starting my own 401K too, now that we have a little extra income.

Both our companies match $0.5 on the dollar. We are turning 40 this year.

I know pretty much nothing about stock or other forms of investments that are not physical PM.
Is this a good idea? Is it the right time? What are the cons or the alternative?

Any advice is highly appreciated.
The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always good to start a 401K. As far as investing, it depends largely on the choices that your company/plan offers.
  • Options
    I know my advice doesn't count for squat but seek out a certified financial planner. They will be able to tailor an investment plan to you specific needs and yes it is good to diversify away from just physical pm's.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Always good to start a 401K. As far as investing, it depends largely on the choices that your company/plan offers. >>

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both our companies match $0.5 on the dollar.

Free money. You should have been doing this from day 1. No major asset class has outperformed the stock market over the long term and equities are a good inflation hedge/beneficiary.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both our companies match $0.5 on the dollar.

Free money. You should have been doing this from day 1. No major asset class has outperformed the stock market over the long term and equities are a good inflation hedge/beneficiary. >>

Since he hasn't been doing it since day one are you advising him to now buy high?

401K participation should be based on two things:
    Percentage of matching funds
    Investment options

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Go for it.

If you don't have any stock exposure then it makes sense to diversify.

You can't beat the 50% return on your money out of the gate.

Max it out if you can and out in the 17,500.

As car as what to choose, throw most of it in Large Cap stock funds.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you advising him to now buy high?

Is the market high? Some might argue that the sp-500 is up 165% over the last 5 years while other might say its only up 20% over the last 14 years.

Its not like he is taking his entire life savings and committing it now. He just starting, and there is never a better time to start something than the present. Over the next 25 years his equity savings will most likely outperform his PM savings especially since he is making 50% on every new dollar invested. Imagine buying an ounce of gold and getting a 1/2 oz free. That alone makes equities a much better investment than PMs, IMO.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Thanks for the advice so far. I have just registered to the website. In the next few days I will speak to my HR and to Prudential to have more information about it.

I see that there are only funds in my options. They are "bucket" of companies, correct?
    Should I use one of their management tools or allocate myself?
    Should I rely on our Prudential's advisor or find an external one?

Lastly, I was thinking to start aggressively for the first year or so, worse come worst I am gonna loose few hundred dollars. Does it make sense?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate your input while I start getting familiar with it.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Matteo, I started one for the first time ever too last year and am very conservative putting a little bit of money into it. Go slow is what I say.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Matteo, you and your wife doing a 401K is really the best way to start to take control of your financial future.
    Sure, give the on-line management tool a try, check with the offered advisor and read to educate yourself and take charge.
    Especially with the 50 cent/dollar match makes it a real no brainer.
    You have some PMs already.
    Getting equities into "your portfolio" is a smart move.
    Do an asset allocation and stick with it and contribute regularly.
    Do it now, do it every year without fail.
    You will be really happy you did when it comes time to retire!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since he hasn't been doing it since day one are you advising him to now buy high?

401K participation should be based on two things:
    Percentage of matching funds
    Investment options

In a vacuum, I'd agree totally with derryb. However, at your age, some diversification might be reasonable. I was a big fan of diversification until one day when I read a little blurb that made a significant point, a point that has changed my thinking ever since.

When you buffer your downside risk, you also limit your upside potential. It's that simple.

Besides, there are ways to diversify risk over time, not JUST between asset classes.

So, the real question is - how much confidence do you have in your own money management skills? If you hand money over to a 401K that contributes $0.50 for every dollar, that is hard to beat in Year 1. So how long before the company contributions are eligible to be taken out? And how long will they contribute $0.50 for every dollar? Indefinitely? Into Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, etc? If they EVER stop matching funds, you should reconsider immediately. These are some of the questions.

Tax deferred savings aren't the same thing as tax-free. You will still pay taxes when you take the money out. Tax rates may be higher then, especially considering our huge, huge, huge debt problems and the continuing trends toward increased welfare spending. There is also a 10% penalty if you ever change your mind and want the money out of the plan, plus the taxes on the gains are due that same year.

Your situation is different than mine, given your age. No matter what your decision is, you're better off saving than not and you're better off focusing on earning money and advancing your career than focusing on investing for profit.

There's no magic bullet. You're smart, just manage your situation using your basic common sense. That's already a step ahead of most people when it comes to money.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends. Those are expensive adult diapers.
  • Options
    In short definitely "yes" up to full company match limit. This is an equivalent of instant 50% return.

Now a few cases to consider:
    - what is the vesting schedule of company match? Different option may call for different choices? What is the likely hood of you staying at that job during vesting period?
    - What are the investment choices? Are there "target date" portfolios? This maybe the simplest option to start to avoid asset allocation decisions upfront
    - Does you plan offers automatic rebalancing? How frequent?
    - are there "stable value" choices with high interest yield? Eg my mother-in-law teaching plan offers guaranteed 7% annual return that is very much these days
    - Asset allocations within 401K and/or across your assets.

The second simple advice. If not sure about above - just contribute up to max company match to money market fund. This way you collect your company match from day one making instant 50% return and can decide how to allocate the $$$ later on
  • Options
    If you are in a net 20% tax bracket, not only do you get the 50% matching funds from your employer but each dollar you contribute (tax deferred) saves you .20 on your tax bill at the end of the year contributed. You will owe taxes on everything witdrawn when the time comes, and at the current rate at that time.

Again, investment options are crucial as well as limitations on making changes to investments. By options I do not mean diversification, I mean investment choices. In your case the ideal fund would be one of junior miners. How quick an investment change is implemented by your custodian is also a concern.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would put as much in as you can afford. It sounds like you have a 25+ year plus horizon so I wouldn't worry about your entry point to much

M
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    If there's an employer match of 50%, put in enough to get the match. Beyond that... meh.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Yes, start the 401k and hopefully contribute enough to get the maximum match possible.

You are correct that being aggressive with a low dollar amount cannot cost you much if it goes south.

However, be sure and know that High Risk does not mean High Reward. That can be a very expensive fact to learn.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103

<< <i>If there's an employer match of 50%, put in enough to get the match. Beyond that... meh. >>

That's what my employer does. They'll match up to 6% (currently I put 8% of my check into my retirement, will be switching to a Roth IRA soon I hope). It's a 403b (whatever that means).

I'm 28 and just starting putting into retirement last year. It's just their "basic" investment, not investing in any particular stock or whatever you call it. I just don't know enough about the stock market to make an informed decision. I do play around with those fantasy apps on my phone, I never lose and did make out huge on a Canadian solar company (started at $3, is now $25+ in less than a year).

I figured at my age, by the time I hit retirement we will all either have to die at work because we can't afford to retire or we'll hit the lottery. No real other choice.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured at my age, by the time I hit retirement we will all either have to die at work because we can't afford to retire or we'll hit the lottery. No real other choice.

I disagree. Nobody knows at 28 what they will be doing or how they will have done by 60. It's a long and winding road. Use your time wisely.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Again, many thanks for all of your replies.

I want just to answer some questions and provide you with more info, in case someone has any additional help to offer.

<< <i>So, the real question is - how much confidence do you have in your own money management skills? >>

I have no confidence, that’s why I realized I need to find a way to save for retirement.
    The only way I was able to save some of my money was through the “hobby” of stacking PMs.

<< <i>- what is the vesting schedule of company match? Different option may call for different choices? What is the likely hood of you staying at that job during vesting period? >>

I started thinking about enrolling on the 401K because I am now on the 3rd year with my company. The vesting % is now 40%, going to 60% in September on my 4th anniversary.

<< <i>- What are the investment choices? Are there "target date" portfolios? This maybe the simplest option to start to avoid asset allocation decisions upfront >>

That is the part I am in trouble. I read the list of funds and have no clue of what all those names/descriptions mean.

<< <i>- Does you plan offers automatic rebalancing? How frequent? >>

The tool they provide has a quarterly rebalance feature. Don’t know what that mean though…

<< <i>- are there "stable value" choices with high interest yield? Eg my mother-in-law teaching plan offers guaranteed 7% annual return that is very much these days >>

No clue but will ask.

<< <i>- Asset allocations within 401K and/or across your assets. >>

Didn’t quite understand the point…(language problem)
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No time like the present, especially at 40. Wish I wouldn't have waited so long myself, although I haven't been in a position to get a company match until this past year going perm after 20 roller coaster consulting years. Contribute up to the max match, pick a target fund if you have one in there, and forget about it for 6 months at a time unless something ridiculous happens.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    scary forum to ask that question image

You really have to contribute at least to your matching, it is a huge advantage to get some matching. put it in an world index type of fund and forget it.

Be wary of taking financial advice from anyone suggesting otherwise.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mean this in a bad way but put it all on Black 7 and "let it ride"

that is JMHO of the current stock market climate image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With my old company they gave us a discretionary fund to use on medical costs, insurance premiums, buy vacation hours. I used mine to buy vacation hours(10 was the max) and the rest I had no use for. As a healthy male in my 20's I had no real use for insurance that they offered. Im in the National Guard as well so was insured through them. I let me funds build up and at the end of the company's fiscal year rolled that into my 401K. So every year for 6 years I had a 1600 lump sum added to my retirement plus my normal $50 a paycheck which they matched, which over the last few years has performed amazingly. Now that Ive been gone from that job and not contributing to the fund I feel as though I lost a year of adding to it. For the most part I feel I have started a retirement fund that will cover the majority of my retirement costs. Now I started this when I was 20, sooner you can start the better, the more aggressive you can be. It might have bad months but the good months more then make up for it. Now thats just my experience, but just think small increments over a long period of time and as you read the end you become more conservative with how funds are allocated.

*disclaimer*
    I am not a financial advisor of any kind. Nor have I any college education.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another factor to consider is that how "401K's" will look 10, 20 and 40 years from now is totally unknown. The govt will continue to dream up ways to get a foot hold in personal IRA's. Whether they eventually turn them into
    govt sponsored funds where a % (or all of it) HAS to go into treasuries or specific govt fund choices remains to be seen. All I know is that you won't recognize them decades from now. Get the company match and leave it at
    that. If you have additional funds available for investment that's fine. At least those will be under your control. The expanding wedge pattern the stock market has mapped out over the past 17 years is something to be cautious
    about. The majority of the time those patterns show severe corrections....and I'm talking 5,000 point corrections not 500 Dow points. The stock market could easily tank for several years between 2014 and 2020. But, no one
    knows for sure. Maybe a new paradigm is being constructed that will take us to that goal from the 1990's of Dow 36,000?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    First off. If you contribute $100 toward a mutual fund, and your company provides $50 towards buying more. You will purchase $150 in mutual funds for $100. That mutual fund would have to slip to 2/3 of its value for you to begin to lose money. It could happen, but not likely.

Remember that pieces of a company are still "things" and buying things makes sense when currency is losing its value.

Next...you need to contribute up to the maximum your company will match. If you can't afford that much, then increase your contribution every time you get a raise...that's a painless way to do it.

Next, remember that if you elect to have $100 taken out of your paycheck, that will really only impact your paycheck by $80 because the money is pretax. So you can probably contribute about 20% more than you think you can afford.

You might want to consider the track record of your mutual funds over a period of at least 10 years. That covers all kinds of economic environments.

Steve
  • Options
    Hi, I’ve read your post and although I’m no expert in investing I have done quite well over the past 20 years or so. Two years ago I decided to retire at age 55 which is this coming July and I'm retiring 8/1/14. I will share my thoughts in an attempt to assist you.

The first thing you must do is educate yourself regarding the different investments options available to you in your 401k plan and investing in general. Read books, magazines, the Wall Street Journal is very good in my opinion. There are so many investment options which can cause confusion and this is why some people get paralyzed when making these choices.There are large cap funds, mid cap funds, small cap funds, bond funds, foreign funds, hybrids, select funds, aggressive funds etc., this is why you need to understand what the basics are.

Another lesson you need to teach yourself is not to listen to the daily buzz, and all the talking heads on television, about the markets going up, down, sideways etc., the stock markets go up, they go down and they move sideways. You need to be disciplined not too pull your investments out because the market drops 500 points in a day, week or month. I’ve ridden out all of the financial disasters in the past 15 years and have come out better in the long term. Yes I’ve lost money during these times but the upswing and recovery was well worth staying put.

I’ve also diversified my investments, I don’t just have mutual funds but own stocks, precious metals, sports memorabilia and other investments made along the way.
    I hope this helps and doesn’t cause more confusion, just trying to help.
  • Options
    Hell yes to the 401K, your company matches 50% of your contribution so even if you just park it in a money market fund you still get a 50% return plus the tax savings.
  • Options
    Wednesday February 26, 2014 1:12 PM   (NEW!)

<< - What are the investment choices? Are there "target date" portfolios? This maybe the simplest option to start to avoid asset allocation decisions upfront >>

That is the part I am in trouble. I read the list of funds and have no clue of what all those names/descriptions mean.

If they are publicly traded funds - feel free to post their ticker symbols here and we can comment. Generally you can look them up on Yahoo or Morningstar for details

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a financial adviser and it is only MY OWN opinion. However Im in your age group and have been contributing to my own 401K close to 20 years with MIXED results. The only lesson I've learned so far that contributing up to company match is still free money in your account image

With that said YOU will need to decide on your basic allocation. Typical advise is 80% stocks/20% bonds.

If this sounds already too complicated then at this point just slow down and contribute to money market or stable value fund just to collect company match and put some funds aside to manage later.

debating any asset allocation advise on public forum is pointless - there will be more opinions than forum members image
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    When you invest in a 401(k) you're playing in the government's sandbox. It's called a 401(k) plan because Congress amended the Internal Revenue Code to add Section 401(k), which allows for these plans and in particular the favorable up-front tax treatment. These plans are governed by a thicket of government rules.

So when you invest, remember always that you're relying on the government not to change the rules on you later. Personally, when I look at these plans, which trillions of dollars in assets sitting in them, I see a pot of money that's ripe for the picking by a government that's trillions in debt and needs more revenue. Not saying they'd confiscate the money - they won't. But could they accomplish much of the same by tweaking the rules? Yep. I could easily see them imposing a 5 or 10 or 15% surtax on all withdrawals. They'll say it would "only be fair" since people got a big tax deduction up front. Or they could redefine what it means to be an acceptable investment option for some or all of your money -- and the new option will be "safe, secure" government bonds.

You get the idea. So proceed at whatever level you're comfortable. I think if you get a 50% match, that's free money which offsets much of the risk. But I wouldn't invest a penny beyond that.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good and varied opinions, obviously everyone is different.

Myself, I ramped my 401k at a previous job, starting at the 6% of my salary and they matched 50% of that or in other words added another 3%, that was the limit for matching.

Every year when I got a raise I increased my percentage deferral by 1 or 2% until after several years I was adding the maximum company percent which was 15

as mentioned, they're pre-tax dollars, so that's like another 30 or 40 percent "gain" right there in terms of investing fuel, versus investing after-tax dollars.

being young and willing to take a risk for a long-term reward (which the history of the stock market over the long term made seem likely) I split it among funds investing in blue chip stocks, small cap stocks, emerging market stocks, and dividend-paying stocks. I have never invested much in bonds, except for short-term and sweep -type money market accounts

As mentioned, the match was a guaranteed instant return in number of dollars invested (though no guarantee against market declines, of which I saw plenty, and enjoyed the dollar cost averaging versus the eventual rebound, so in hindsight the declines were actually beneficial, because I held through them to new highs. I am not precient or magic so I never sell it all at the peak and buy it back at the bottom, doubling and redoubling like some of the geniuses claim to be able to do)

Anyway, after 8 1/2 years it was a tidy sum for me at that stage of life and when I left that job I rolled it into an IRA which has continued to perform well.

I liken it to a snowball that you just keep rolling, through thick snow and thin, and it grows, but occasionally the market sun shrinks it a bit. I've never taken pieces off to make snowcones or throw snowballs, because this snow if for me to ski on during retirement.

I've since been at another job for over 10 years and done the same thing, have another snowball to roll into an IRA if/when the time comes to move on.

I like the 401k accounts, they're rather painless to build, over time can be substantial, have tax advantages, and unlike the old style pension, are portable.

my opinions and experience only, consult a professional and make your own decisions, blah blah blah.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Not having a 401k with company match is the worst mistake you can make. Just use the cheapest index funds they have, since they almost always do better than more expensive actively managed funds. Something like 10% in emerging stocks, 30% small cap, 50% large cap, 10% into money market fund is what I have been doing over the years, and it seems to work out ok. When ever the market has taken a dramatic drop I put the money from the money market fund into the two US stock funds.
  • Options

<< <i>When you invest in a 401(k) you're playing in the government's sandbox. It's called a 401(k) plan because Congress amended the Internal Revenue Code to add Section 401(k), which allows for these plans and in particular the favorable up-front tax treatment. These plans are governed by a thicket of government rules.

So when you invest, remember always that you're relying on the government not to change the rules on you later. Personally, when I look at these plans, which trillions of dollars in assets sitting in them, I see a pot of money that's ripe for the picking by a government that's trillions in debt and needs more revenue. Not saying they'd confiscate the money - they won't. But could they accomplish much of the same by tweaking the rules? Yep. I could easily see them imposing a 5 or 10 or 15% surtax on all withdrawals. They'll say it would "only be fair" since people got a big tax deduction up front. Or they could redefine what it means to be an acceptable investment option for some or all of your money -- and the new option will be "safe, secure" government bonds.

You get the idea. So proceed at whatever level you're comfortable. I think if you get a 50% match, that's free money which offsets much of the risk. But I wouldn't invest a penny beyond that. >>

On the other hand, these retirement plans were created by politicians for their friends in the private sector that needed tax breaks. If you are fortunate enough to be in a position to ride on their coat tails, by all means do so.

• Options
    Just got a note that our 401k's will now be charged $50 per year, just for them to exist. They say that will make the plan more fair. Sounds like a retirement plan for Merrill Lynch, instead of us.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you any of you do Traditional IRAs or ROTH IRAs? I want to get into these and have done some research via google......just wanted to know if other members have one or both?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you any of you do Traditional IRAs or ROTH IRAs? I want to get into these and have done some research via google......just wanted to know if other members have one or both? >>

Both.
    Roth is preferrable. Deposits are taxed, all gains/withdrawals are tax free.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got a note that our 401k's will now be charged $50 per year, just for them to exist. They say that will make the plan more fair. Sounds like a retirement plan for Merrill Lynch, instead of us. >>

I manage our companies 401K plan. Let me tell you, there is a hell of a lot of compliance and reporting to do. Our plan charges $24.00 per person. $50.00 is a bit high, but behind the scenes there is a lot of paper work to make it all happen.

Index funds are the way to go if you want to contribute and forget about it. They track the broader market and have the lowest fund fees. Back in 07, when the 'Peak oil' talk was going around and oil was supercharging to $130 a barrel, I put all my 401K money into a energy sector fund. Well, you all can image how that went. Then I did it for gold. I must have the reverse midas touch, because everything I touched with my 401K turned to half of what it was worth. image

Now, it is index funds for me.

Tyler
  • Options
    racecap97racecap97 Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I just wanted to add a couple of things that I didn't see mentioned already.

1. To expand on the "snowball" effect that was touched on before, you should take into consideration that once you get enough money stacked up in your 401k your money will actually be working for you at a pace that will grow faster than your federal maximum limit. Right now its somewhere around the $200,000 range. This means that when you reach that amount give or take $20k either way your money will most likely be growing by more than $17,500 per year not including what you're alloud to contribute each year. Thats where the real snowball effect kicks in.

2. I didn't see it mentioned that most 401k plans will allow you to take loans out of them. A lot of people will tell you how bad of an idea this is but once you've got enough money built up in your account you can become your own banker. All of the 401k plans i've been envolved with will cap the loan amount at $50k. I'm not sure if that is a federal limit or not. But consider that if you have enough money built up in your 401k say $100k for example you could use 5-10k of it as a loan and pay interest too yourself instead of a bank and thats pretty nice. There are a few disadvantages too that such as if you leave your job it is all due back in one lump sum or you default but the point is that with enough saved in there you can become your own bank and loan money too yourself without paying a bank the intrest.

3. You can also use it one time for a house loan I believe without penalties.

For most people this is the best way to save money for retirement. The biggest thing your losing by not starting immediatly is the time your money will not be growing. The sooner the better. I'd recommend putting in as much money as you possibly can because most likely your 401k will perform better in the long run than anything else you will invest in.

JMO
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INTERESTING WWII HAWAII NOTES.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Yes, participate to the extent to capture the full company match.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I know some members here, if not most, cringe when the name Dave Ramsey comes up. If you're not familiar with him I suggest you look him up (daveramsey.com), take his Financial Peace University course (which is cheap compared to what you learn), and begin his Baby Steps. His guidance with money and views about investing long-term in the stock market with mutual funds are benificial to someone starting out. He is not a big advocate for precious metals though, so prepare yourself for that. BUT, once someone has a good financial base and understanding on how money works and how you can work money, then you can expand your investment vehicle horizons (i.e. Precious Metals, Rare coins, Rare cars, etc.). For the average Joe who doesn't know a whole lot about the stock markets and investing,
    401(k)'s and IRA's are a really good place to start, ESPECIALLY if your employer matches funds.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    There is some rule about Roth IRA's and a 5 years minimum on the account being open and funded. It isn't 5 years on each dollar you put in, just on the account. Thus, I would open a Roth today and toss a few dollars in it, if I did not have one yet. Get the clock ticking on those 5 years.
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Along the lines of second republic, with any Uncle Sam handout or favor, comes the hooks. What US giveth, US can taketh away (in various ways); it's only fair and the way the world works.

Well, let's call it myRA - that's eventually where all good and faithful citizens' ('patriots') IRA's/401K's will eventually wind up - says my crystal ball.
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After 4 years as a stay-at-home mom, my wife got a job 3 months ago.
    With the last paycheck, she found out that she has been automatically enrolled in her company’s 401K.
    That made me think of starting my own 401K too, now that we have a little extra income.

Both our companies match $0.5 on the dollar. We are turning 40 this year.

I know pretty much nothing about stock or other forms of investments that are not physical PM.
    Is this a good idea? Is it the right time? What are the cons or the alternative?

Any advice is highly appreciated. >>

Sounds like you've been missing out on a lot of free retirement money :/

I feel it's great that some companies are defaulting to opt-out for retirement plans - it should be easier to start than stop.

EDIT: You should also consider the fact that it's better to contribute pre-tax pay into a 401k than it is to invest funds after-tax....Max of $17,500 a year and it brings down your tax basis!
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>- What are the investment choices? Are there "target date" portfolios? This maybe the simplest option to start to avoid asset allocation decisions upfrontThat is the part I am in trouble. I read the list of funds and have no clue of what all those names/descriptions mean. >>

Focus on finding a single index fund option that most closely mirrors the S&P with the lowest expense ratio (should be 0.10-0.4%). Keep it simple.

You should really surf the bogleheads forum for a great strategy on retirement saving planning.

I'd think it would be much more beneficial for the future health of your retirement to focus on 401k/index funds than bullion as your retirement fund.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of good advice here. I'll add some more.

I started my 401k about six years ago, and put in as much as I could stomach. I think I was getting a 5% match. Six months later it was down 25%. I say this because six months from now, with the market where it is today, you (and the rest of us) could be in a similar position.

I didn't stop contributing. Instead I ratcheted up as my means allowed. Every year of the last five since that 25% downer has seen double digit gains on top of the contributions. Last year the account earned more than I contributed, and I was using a fairly conservative allocation which included 25% to bonds, even though I don't believe bonds are a good investment right now. I haven't gotten a company match in two and a half years.

Treat it like a tax, allocate it properly, try not to play games with it, and try to forget about it. You won't regret it.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

<< <i>EDIT: You should also consider the fact that it's better to contribute pre-tax pay into a 401k than it is to invest funds after-tax....Max of $17,500 a year and it brings down your tax basis! >>

Whether a Roth is better then a 401k or vice versa is entirely dependent on a multitude of factors, including current tax rate, expected future tax at withdrawal, time frame, etc.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>EDIT: You should also consider the fact that it's better to contribute pre-tax pay into a 401k than it is to invest funds after-tax....Max of $17,500 a year and it brings down your tax basis! >>

Whether a Roth is better then a 401k or vice versa is entirely dependent on a multitude of factors, including current tax rate, expected future tax at withdrawal, time frame, etc. >>

Factor 1: if you accomplish your goal and grow your money you will avoid more taxes with the Roth
    Factor 2: Tax rates go up over time - "pay me now or pay me more later."
    Factor 3: Even if lower annual income puts you in a lower tax bracket later, odds are you will still be looking at higher tax rates in each of the brackets.

An example: you deposit $10,000 this year to a roth. You pay regular income taxes this year on that $10,000. Over the next 10 years you accomplish your goal and turn that $10,000 into $100,000 (10% annual return) and are now eligible to withdraw it completely tax free. Are you glad you paid taxes on the $10,000?

• Options
    If I had a stay-at-home wife and kids, my income tax rate would be near 0. Government studies have determined there is no benefit to deferring taxes, when none are owed.