Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA's new wax pack grading policy

2»

Comments

• Options
    I don't know how big the market is, but if the right holder was made, PSA could amortize the costs over a long time, and have the market forever, I would think. A good point was made about how much gradable packs were left- and I have no idea. The potential GAI crossovers, the Fritsch stuff, hordes we know nothing about, ... There still must be a lot of stuff out there. As is, BBCE seems to benefit a lot from PSA not grading packs because PSA and Steve are the main trustworthy sellers. People even send Steve boxes to wrap, and then resell with his wrapping/certification. Coming up next, packs. Especially if his vintage sources are drying up, and they almost have to be.

Since PSA already has their card/coin/ticket business model in place, they'd be grading all future packs. The only company. I don't think a new startup would ever be able to sustain business, unless maybe it was BGS? It would take too long for an unknown to gain credibility.

If the US govt was doing the purchasing, the 100K number to make dies or a mold might be the price, but it seems like anyone with a little knowledge of how to program a CNC machine would be able to set one up for substantially less than that figure. Maybe PSA could also grade non-sports and even think of other things to grade and use the same holder?

I'm just saying. I'd at least think long and hard about it before deciding to only grade packs with stuck gum.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>GAI's holder seemed to work pretty well to me. It looked like it would be cheaper to produce than the bulky PSA one and fit tighter to the gum. They can't be the only ones to figure this out. >>

I agree. And I'll add the GAI holder showcased the pack a lot better. Why I kept my 200 packs in those holders- better protection, and better visual appeal.
    But I would not send the current company a '88 Donruss pack at this point.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But I would not send the current company a '88 Donruss pack at this point. >>

That is true. If the new GAI went out of business, it would be worthwhile to try to purchase the holder designs from them although I think the unopened box holders could be cut down a bit. Wonder if they even still do that, not that I would send them a whole box.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I have a handful of mini packs in GAI holders. One of the three I have at home has broken gum in it and it is fine. No signs of tearing. I also liked their holders. Cheap plastic but cool for display and easier
    to store. But I wouldn't use them to grade or holder a thing today.

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>Since PSA already has their card/coin/ticket business model in place, they'd be grading all future packs. The only company. I don't think a new startup would ever be able to sustain business, unless maybe it was BGS? It would take too long for an unknown to gain credibility.
    >>

At the 2004 set registry luncheon at the National in Cleveland, Joe Orlando was asked if PSA was going to grade packs. He said no, the market was too small and Global already had it. Wasn't worth it to them to tool up.
    But in 2 years, at the '06 National in Anaheim, PSA started accepting packs for grading. Global had squandered their advantage, employing graders like Ryan Rutter and blowing it on customer service.
    Now 8 years later PSA is poised (if this news is true) to reject a large amount of packs due to gum being loose. They already won't authenticate rack packs and odd size packs, and their have been issues with cello packs. If this carries thru it would seem the door is open for another company even more than it was for PSA in '06, as the market for unopened (especially modern, post '70 unopened) seems more robust than ever.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Mike, I"m pretty sure GA is out of business at this point.

• Options

<< <i>Mike, I"m pretty sure GA is out of business at this point. >>

Not yet...

Global Authority

Disclaimer: DO NOT SEND YOUR PACKS TO GAI FOR GRADING!!! I've heard too many stories of them sitting on submissions and constant phone calls just to get the packs back.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a fairly large number of authentic packs in first generation GAI holders also, and agree with Anthony in terms of visual appeal and sheer storage weight and space, that the plastic holder design is better suited to display packs and to also help prevent, if not entirely eliminate, the issue of tears in the wrapper from shifting gum.

Plus, they are way easier to open. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a fairly large number of authentic packs in first generation GAI holders also, and agree with Anthony in terms of visual appeal and sheer storage weight and space, that the plastic holder design is better suited to display packs and to also help prevent, if not entirely eliminate, the issue of tears in the wrapper from shifting gum.

Plus, they are way easier to open, but I won't as I'm an unopened pack collector. image >>

Fixed it for you. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike, I"m pretty sure GA is out of business at this point. >>

Not yet...

Global Authority

Disclaimer: DO NOT SEND YOUR PACKS TO GAI FOR GRADING!!! I've heard too many stories of them sitting on submissions and constant phone calls just to get the packs back. >>

Does someone have Demian Werner's phone number? (LOL)

If I remember correctly he said that everyone will have their packs back from GAI on Monday!
  • Options

<< <i>I have a fairly large number of authentic packs in first generation GAI holders also, and agree with Anthony in terms of visual appeal and sheer storage weight and space, that the plastic holder design is better suited to display packs and to also help prevent, if not entirely eliminate, the issue of tears in the wrapper from shifting gum.

Plus, they are way easier to open. image >>

Here is why you dont want to open older packs- listen to Manny!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Here is why you dont want to open older packs- listen to Manny! >>

LOL

Friggin Griffins.

I'm curious, why do some of you think high grade packs are going to be worth more now? Just because the pool that packs will be graded from is much smaller? Personally, I'm not putting anything in my microwave and will wait for someone, be it PSA or someone else, to get it right with the holder.
  • Options

<< <i>

LOL, true, but then again, there's always a chance you can emerge from the carnage in fairly decent shape, too..

MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 474 LUKE WALKER Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 511 RANGERS TEAM BILLY MARTIN, MGR. Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 189 1951-MVP'S Y.BERRA/R.CAMPANELLA Card
    GEM MINT 10 1975 TOPPS MINI 285 ELLIE RODRIGUEZ Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 465 WORLD SERIES GAME 5 Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 459 A.L. CHAMPIONSHIPS Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 463 WORLD SERIES GAME 3 Card
    GEM MINT 10 1975 TOPPS MINI 318 ERNIE McANALLY Card
    GEM MINT 10 1975 TOPPS MINI 324 ED KRANEPOOL Card
    GEM MINT 10 1975 TOPPS MINI 324 ED KRANEPOOL Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 303 GRANT JACKSON Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 299 BUCKY DENT Card
    GEM MINT 10 1975 TOPPS MINI 366 KEN SANDERS Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 518 LEO CARDENAS Card
    GEM MINT 10 1975 TOPPS MINI 235 JACK BILLINGHAM Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 119 TOMMY HELMS Card
    MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 309 STOLEN BASE LEADERS B.NORTH/L.BROCK Card
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 178 CESAR TOVAR Card
    MINT 9 1978 TOPPS 141 RUPPERT JONES Card

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Why did you submit the cesar tovar. : )

Holy cow Tim! That's quite a submission.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>Why did you submit the cesar tovar. : )

Holy cow Tim! That's quite a submission. >>

Thanks, D--my best one to date, no question, but it was the creme de la creme from a full box of minis.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This may be a rookie question but weren't there packs with the gum in the middle, between cards? I'm almost certain there were. And if so, then how do they determine looseness? Shake it? The gum could be fused between the cards and so should be graded. Aren't the cards wrapped tight enough that the in between gum usually doesn't move anyways? >>

As far as I recall, only the cello packs had the gum wedged in between the cards. All wax packs I've opened over the years had the gum on the top of the pack (opposite side of the fold (roller) seal.

• Options

And he only opened 3 cases!

• Options

<< <i>

And he only opened 3 cases! >>

LOL, I wish I had bought a couple of those Conlon cases when they were selling for $750 a box!

• Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this essentially puts an end to pack wax pack grading and will make it much more difficult to trade/sell legit packs. this is a resealers dream.

that said , I understand why psa is doing it. it is too expensive for them to buy back every pack that gets damaged and they were taking in much less in revenue than they potentially have to pay out. >>

I haven't been able to read through the entire thread yet, but maybe PSA should consider offering an "AUTHENTIC" designation without a numeric grade (similar to autograph authentication service options)...maybe they already do & it's a way around this fiasco. It would eliminate PSA's liability for damage ocurring post-grading/encapsulation and would provide peace of mind to the those who urchase expensive vintage packs.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>this essentially puts an end to pack wax pack grading and will make it much more difficult to trade/sell legit packs. this is a resealers dream.

that said , I understand why psa is doing it. it is too expensive for them to buy back every pack that gets damaged and they were taking in much less in revenue than they potentially have to pay out. >>

I haven't been able to read through the entire thread yet, but maybe PSA should consider offering an "AUTHENTIC" designation without a numeric grade (similar to autograph authentication service options)...maybe they already do & it's a way around this fiasco. It would eliminate PSA's liability for damage ocurring post-grading/encapsulation and would provide peace of mind to the those who urchase expensive vintage packs. >>

Does anybody know the answer to this? Can you send in your packs with loose gum to get a "Authentic Grade". Also if they decide not to grade due to loose gum do you get them back quicker than going through the entire process?

Thanks!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    This may have been asked before, but if Steve has wrapped the packs, does PSA still send them back to him to reauthenticate before grading?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>This may have been asked before, but if Steve has wrapped the packs, does PSA still send them back to him to reauthenticate before grading? >>

I believe PSA has to ship any packs it receives to Steve for authentication. Of course, packs he has already wrapped take him less time especially if he remembers them. Plus, it is only a matter of time before someone tries to duplicate BBCE's wrap for individual packs especially high end ones. Also, remember that Steve will not wrap single wax packs anymore so we are only talking about cellos.

Collecting:
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Curious....are there any other options (other reputable services) that can be considered or are we SOL?
  • Options

<< <i>Curious....are there any other options (other reputable services) that can be considered or are we SOL? >>

Really there are not. The new GAI does, but I wouldn't take a chance sending any packs there either as I've heard of long delays and non-communication on their side as well.

You could always send it to CPAGrote. Only problem with that is Tim may rip open your pack if he gets to it first. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Curious....are there any other options (other reputable services) that can be considered or are we SOL? >>

Really there are not. The new GAI does, but I wouldn't take a chance sending any packs there either as I've heard of long delays and non-communication on their side as well.

You could always send it to CPAGrote. Only problem with that is Tim may rip open your pack if he gets to it first. image >>

Hmmm.. Maybe Snuffy can work on the CPAGrote holder/wrapping prototype? lol
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You could always send it to CPAGrote. Only problem with that is Tim may rip open your pack if he gets to it first. image >>

Hmmm.. Maybe Snuffy can work on the CPAGrote holder/wrapping prototype? lol >>

He is in charge of IT and advertising. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Good news y'all. PSA is introducing a new pack holder that will prevent nearly 90% of gum movement for packs sealed inside. This is long overdue and I for one am most happy to hear about it. So don't start rippin' all of your vintage wax wrapped collectibles (tho that would be waaaay fun) since now, you'll be able to submit for grading worry free and enjoy those old unopened packs for years to come!!! Happy Collecting!!!
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good news y'all. PSA is introducing a new pack holder that will prevent nearly 90% of gum movement for packs sealed inside. This is long overdue and I for one am most happy to hear about it. So don't start rippin' all of your vintage wax wrapped collectibles (tho that would be waaaay fun) since now, you'll be able to submit for grading worry free and enjoy those old unopened packs for years to come!!! Happy Collecting!!! >>

Do you know if the cases are going to be as big as the current issues? I live in California and it's unrealistic to come up with the acreage needed to house a PSA unopened collection.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    Darn, and I just ripped all my 70s packs with stars showing...... nevermind the now crispy burnt packs using a hair dryer to fuse the gum
  • Options
    No worries... I believe PSA made a new holder for 70's star cards as well!!!image
  • Options
    Good news! I had heard they were working on a new holder and look forward to seeing it.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good news! I had heard they were working on a new holder and look forward to seeing it. >>

This is correct. I believe it is not too far away.

Dave
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they take a page out of the GAI book and make a soft holder. Cheaper to tool up and opens the door for rack packs.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

He got 3 HOF rookies in that pack. I couldn't tell centering from the video, but if it was good, he did well.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

<< I have a fairly large number of authentic packs in first generation GAI holders also, and agree with Anthony in terms of visual appeal and sheer storage weight and space, that the plastic holder design is better suited to display packs and to also help prevent, if not entirely eliminate, the issue of tears in the wrapper from shifting gum.

Plus, they are way easier to open. >>

He got 3 HOF rookies in that pack. I couldn't tell centering from the video, but if it was good, he did well.
    Nick

Trust me!!!!! Those 3 HOFers WERE NOT WHO WE WERE LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!

Not at $850 or so for the pack!!
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Wondering if an N9 grade on a wax pack (loose gum) means it was deemed authentic, and couldn't be graded simply because of the loose gum?

Go Dodgers!
  • Options

@MarsAttacks said:
    Wondering if an N9 grade on a wax pack (loose gum) means it was deemed authentic, and couldn't be graded simply because of the loose gum?

Yes, that is a designation they will assign when pack is authentic but not holdered by PSA due to potential wrapper damage caused by loose or broken gum in the pack.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2016 1:49PM

What about N5: ALTERED STOCK ?

I was told by an outsider who may or may not be right that this meant that the pack was flattened or wax smashed..If it was a card N5 Altered Stock typically means when the card was stored in a screwdown holder of some sort.

I have a Jordan sticker back 86 fleer pack which they have given me this designation. I didn't flatten the pack, but it was stored by me for only a dozen years, the other 20 it was elsewhere. I am fairly confident it is authentic and not resealed because the remaining 3 other packs from same source were deemed authentic and now are in holders.

Thoughts?
    For now I have the pack saved, but have thought about re-sending to see if same result or I guess just opening up since I cannot holder it, but don't lean that way.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

N5 is the designation for packs they deem not authentic, but I would try sending it in again if you really want it in a holder. I've sent packs in from BBCE wrapped boxes that get the N5... but all have come back in holders the next time around.

• Options

@baz518 said:
    N5 is the designation for packs they deem not authentic, but I would try sending it in again if you really want it in a holder. I've sent packs in from BBCE wrapped boxes that get the N5... but all have come back in holders the next time around.

Thank you for the reply. I just find it hard to believe I had 4 packs from the same source and 3 were authentic and this was n5 altered stock. Steve said he never heard of PSA deeming a pack that. It is always N-4 Questionable Authenticity.

• Options

Im going to send in again. Was hoping grote or someone else had heard of this for a pack before to know my chances it was a mis grade.

I am going to try to get it authenticated without jordan on the back and if they holder it because maybe that is holding it up? I will update how it works out.

• Options

@secretstash said:
    Im going to send in again. Was hoping grote or someone else had heard of this for a pack before to know my chances it was a mis grade.

I am going to try to get it authenticated without jordan on the back and if they holder it because maybe that is holding it up? I will update how it works out.

Can you post a scan of the front & back of the pack?