Home Metal Detecting
Options

artillery shell and silver spoon

sterling, hallmarked and dated 1912. find of the year is the shell. 7 3/4 in long and 1 1/2 wide, roughly.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure know how to find a bit of everything. Was this at a dump site?
  • Options
    These came from a homesite that dates to the 1870s. I dig all signals, whether they be nails or beer cans. Can't get variety when you discriminate.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good philosophy DD....dig it all.... I totally agree with that. I have found good coins that were passed over by previous MD'rs because of questionable signals..(i.e. position, collateral junk etc)... Cheers, Rick
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats on the sterling spoon demo! a piece of sterling flatware is still on my want list. Hopefully some day... plenty of plated, but no solid.

Although we always do say to "dig everything" it can be almost an impossible feat with the plethora of rusty objects in the ground. They no doubt are hiding keepers, but often times I debate in my head the reward for digging hundreds of nails in a small area. it can get tiring fast. Some of my sites are loaded with iron. It's more tempting to see if we can take a few inches off the top and sift. That would be quite interesting.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice spoon.

Any markings on the shell?

What's the item leaning against it, which appears to have a bird on it?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    All I can see is 46. The other thing is the bottom half of a match safe. I love finding things that are no longer part of our daily lives. I especially like something I've not yet seen, which doesn't occur often.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that case is a 28X199SR, fired by a 1.1 inch naval anti-aircraft gun. That is a 28mm projectile with a 199mm long case, the case having a semi-rim.