Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1978 Topps baseball 3-box rack case $15,500!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    yikesimage
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    What do you guys think, will it sell at that price? I bet it does. Somebody with deep pockets will just have to have it.
    Sure is a sweet looking case for sure!!
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you guys think, will it sell at that price? I bet it does. Somebody with deep pockets will just have to have it.
    Sure is a sweet looking case for sure!! >>

I am as bullish as anyone on vintage unopened product, but not at $215 a rack for 1978 Topps. I would think this auction is primarily to attract a serious buyer for an off ebay deal, imo..sweet case in any case, though, I agree!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I could see it going for around $10k. Boy, I remember a 1978 3 box rack case sitting on eBay forever at $5k and I thought the seller was crazy. Well, it looks like I was the idiot.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Funny to see this thread. I saw the listing and spoke with the seller via email. I would LOVE a sealed 1978 rack case but this price is seriously off. I asked how he came up with his price. He said that 1979 and 1980 rack cases recently sold for around $7k, and "1978 is worth double 1979 and 1980." I wish. I have more '78 unopened than any other year in the 70s. It's maybe a 25 percent premium to 1979. May be worth $9-10K to a collector. It won't sell at the asking price - at least not in the 30-day listing period.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Price is way out of line IMO.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Great looking case.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well, he's gonna get something good out of a case which was originally shipped about like a bad kid traversing military schools.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He said that 1979 and 1980 rack cases recently sold for around $7k, and "1978 is worth double 1979

On the contrary, 79 racks are commanding prices close to 78 racks of late, on average about $80 vs $100, certainly nowhere near double.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    How can you tell for sure that it was never opened?? There are no staples on the top lids.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭
    It's too bad we don't have any commentary from BBG regarding value of this case. It should discounted because it isn't also wrapped in a BBCE box with an accompanying letter. image
  • Options
    if 79s are that close to 78s then this unopened material stuff is getting out of hand with these ridiculas prices with only a very scarce chance of making any money back however to each his own and good luck.
  • Options
    Looks awesome! Will only increase in price.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice empty cardboard box, some rocks that weigh roughly the same as a case, and some glue to seal the box ;P

Just kidding, it is most likely legit. I have no idea why but for some reason this thread reminded me of a story about I guy I know who in college years ago bought a "video camera" for a great deal from some guy selling things in the street and when he got home he discovered he had purchased a box of rocks sealed in a box probably taken from someone's recycling bin.

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Does that price bear any relationship to the cards contained within? Seriously, the best cards are the Molitor and Murray rookies and a Nolan Ryan 11th year card. Do collectors really go that ga-ga over low pop commons, enough to throw common sense out the window? Stop the insanity!!! (This message paid for by a collector who wishes he had a case to sell.).
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personaly Id rather have a box and a half of 1958 topps football cellos.
    That seems to be a great value compared to the 1970s hype.
    But this isnt a 15k item.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I could see it going for around $10k. Boy, I remember a 1978 3 box rack case sitting on eBay forever at $5k and I thought the seller was crazy. Well, it looks like I was the idiot. >>

I can sure understand Mike.

Years ago, I paid around 11 bucks a rack for a 79T case and thought it was an outrageous amount to spend - but I had to have it for some reason.
    Mike
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭

<< <i>Funny to see this thread. I saw the listing and spoke with the seller via email. I would LOVE a sealed 1978 rack case but this price is seriously off. I asked how he came up with his price. He said that 1979 and 1980 rack cases recently sold for around $7k, and "1978 is worth double 1979 and 1980." I wish. I have more '78 unopened than any other year in the 70s. It's maybe a 25 percent premium to 1979. May be worth $9-10K to a collector. It won't sell at the asking price - at least not in the 30-day listing period. >>

It's only been a little over 2 months and it's apparently not as far off the price many of us thought was overpriced. Although it would still have to be authenticated and wrapped by BBCE.....amazing!

1978 Rack Box BBCE Auction
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    It is pretty amazing. I've been seeing a lot more 1970s unopened listed on eBay but with extremely high asking prices. It's almost like our minds get used to seeing these prices and we mentally adjust our pricing upwards. I always wonder the motivation for listing with prices well above market: (1) show off, (2) don't really want to sell but will for an amazing price, (3) try to reset market price upward, even if not up to listed price?
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks awesome! Will only increase in price. >>

don't bet on it!IMO when you get to very late 70s stuff and beyond it is very high risk with tons of distributions especially when you start getting into 82s and up.Sure bets are IMO is 84 Donruss although they have jumped $200 a box in the past couple yearsfrom about $149 to over $300
    a box if and when you find them.
  • Options
    About $14,500 too much.