Home Precious Metals
Options

Inflation Data, lifted from Jim Sinclair's site, Shadowstats data

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
- January Annual Inflation: 1.6% (CPI-U), 1.7% (CPI-W), 9.2% (ShadowStats)
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>- January Annual Inflation: 1.6% (CPI-U), 1.7% (CPI-W), 9.2% (ShadowStats) >>

Don't quite believe 9.2% but 6-7% is probable. Solid double digits going forward.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on the criteria that are included in the statistics. The 9.2 value very well could be accurate when taking into account what the man in the street is seeing with all purchases required to survive. As compared to the canned set of specific criteria that the government uses....

All I know for sure is that I am seeing plenty of price increases in nearly everything I purchase. And yes, before the usual individuals jump in to point out, in the area of electronics and technology, there are some price decreases...
    ----- kj
  • Options

<< <i> And yes, before the usual individuals jump in to point out, in the area of electronics and technology, there are some price decreases... >>

imageimage
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As compared to the canned set of specific criteria that the government uses....and changes on a regular basis to makes the rate look even smaller >>

Fixed your post image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I just paid it today.

My gas heating bill for the past month: $190
    My gas heating bill for the past month in 2013: $120

I imagine that's close to the same 50% jump for everyone else. Were the gas companies driving the futures market last month...conspiracy! But yeah, I can save money going out and buying a new tv that I don't need.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is how the numbers get skewed. Who cares if TV's are cheaper I buy one and keep it 20 years. I need heating oil , I need food , I don't need a TV.

The items that go down are passive purchases. They shouldn't be weighted the same as necessities.

All you do with TV is watch it anyway they are free on craigslist . I could drive 10 miles in any direction and get one free today.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>- January Annual Inflation: 1.6% (CPI-U), 1.7% (CPI-W), 9.2% (ShadowStats) >>

Don't quite believe 9.2% but 6-7% is probable. Solid double digits going forward. >>

Easily....minimum wage going up 40%.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is how the numbers get skewed. Who cares if TV's are cheaper I buy one and keep it 20 years. I need heating oil , I need food , I don't need a TV.

The items that go down are passive purchases. They shouldn't be weighted the same as necessities.

All you do with TV is watch it anyway they are free on craigslist . I could drive 10 miles in any direction and get one free today. >>

Exactly. That's why I call the CPI the "constant price index." Because approximately half of the index is meant to be things that don't change in price. So to get an inflation rate of >10% like we saw in the 1979-1980 period
    you'd need a virtual 20% increase today. One scam with the CPI is the geometric weighting. If you had a grocery cart of 5 equally priced/weighted items, and one of them doubled in price in a couple of months, your
    cost at the register would be 20% higher (6/5). But with geo weighting you take the 5th root of the product of those 5 items (5th root of 2)....or an "official" 15% increase. The bigger the peak in a couple of items the more
    it gets massaged out of the calculation. If one item went up 10X in price your cost at the register would be 2.8X higher for all 5 items (14/5). With geo weighting it's reduced to the 5th root of 10 or 1.58X....you're saving money
    like crazy. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    My home insurance has been going up in $100 increments each year probably because of the weather patterns changing (more destructive now) and of course the cost of materials to rebuild.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Grocery store yesterday $3.95 for a can of hormel chili.$8.95 for a bagged chicken. Insane.. No inflation here either..lol
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    geez, roadrunner - I had no idea that they took the 5th root of any inflation number in their index. I wish I could've done that with my mortgage and gasoline costs since 1980.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Inflation is rampant in my opinion.

Corporate Greed is rampant also.

Help me to understand why this shouldn't boil my blood.

I pay bucket loads of money to Insurance Companies every year between rental properties and family cars etc. I have the other family member cars fully coverered. Not my Suburban 3/4 ton, only liability. A couple weeks ago, I upgraded to a much newer one. Exact same thing, Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4. Farmers is charging me almost 30% more in premium for the same exact coverage. Liability Only. Can someone please answer me how I can do more property damage to the other Driver with a newer versus older Suburban ? I'm still waiting to hear from my Agent how that's possible.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Inflation is rampant in my opinion.

Corporate Greed is rampant also.

Help me to understand why this shouldn't boil my blood.

I pay bucket loads of money to Insurance Companies every year between rental properties and family cars etc. I have the other family member cars fully coverered. Not my Suburban 3/4 ton, only liability. A couple weeks ago, I upgraded to a much newer one. Exact same thing, Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4. Farmers is charging me almost 30% more in premium for the same exact coverage. Liability Only. Can someone please answer me how I can do more property damage to the other Driver with a newer versus older Suburban ? I'm still waiting to hear from my Agent how that's possible. >>

I believe you can blame it on skyrocketing attorney fees and court costs. (Meant to add this )... passed down to all policy holders. Same holds true with home owners insurance, premiums go up, but the coverage is the same.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i> Can someone please answer me how I can do more property damage to the other Driver with a newer versus older Suburban ? I'm still waiting to hear from my Agent how that's possible. >>

I find that it is beneficial to get competing auto insurance quotes every 6 months, 12 months at the latest. Same on cable/internet service.