Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Aegina stater

I've neglected to post several of my new coins for quite some time and will hopefully get into a more regular cadence of uploading.

I bought this coin out of the most recent Gemini sale. After being somewhat underwhelmed by the picture in the catalog, I assumed I wouldn't be bidding on it. However, upon seeing it in hand, I was blown away and knew I would have to chase after it anticipating considerable competition. I'm becoming increasingly surprised by the range in photography quality by auction houses and dealers: the Gemini picture didn't show any of the iridescence in this coin and I think that is a very important aspect of its overall aesthetics. I won it considerably under my max bid, which is always a good feeling.

The sale was on the Sunday after the long NYINC show, so I imagine most dealers were already on their way home: the auction was one of the fastest I've ever witnessed, and I almost missed bidding on it myself but luckily happened to check the progress, assuming I'd have a hundred lots to go but mine was up in 20.

This coin comes from the Millennium Collection sold by Goldberg in 2008 which had a stunning array of coins (including an aureus featuring the Colosseum). I'm very pleased to have acquired it, considering its pedigree and condition, and that it didn't increase in price much over the 2008 sale.

"Aegina. Aegina, c. 380-360 BC. AR Stater (12.01 g). Top view of tortoise with segmented shell. Reverse: Large "refined" skew pattern incuse with five segments. Pozzi 3666; cf. Dewing 1686; cf. SNG Cop. Suppl. 264; SNG Delepierre 1545 ff. The tortoise of remarkable high relief, sharply struck, and perfectly centered on a flan of extraordinary size. Toned, with residual luster of lighter color. Rare in this quality."

I took some perspective shots as well:

Here are some snippets from various auction houses describing the tortoise coinage of Aegina:

"The silver issues of Aegina were immense: it was one of the chief trading coinages of the 6th and earlier 5th centuries, especially in the Peloponnesos, the Islands and in Central Greece where its weight standard was dominant. Exactly why turtles or tortoises appear on the coinage of Aegina is not clear: it was not a sacred animal. One suggestion is that early, pre-coinage silver ingots in use in the Aegean area were plano-convex in shape; and that on Aegina they were colloquially known as ‘turtles.’ Thus, when coins were introduced, using the turtle as a coin type was a reference to the older, pure-silver ingots that had previously been used in trade."

"It is usually assumed that the later issues of Aegina, from the 5th century on into the 4th, bear a tortoise rather than a sea turtle because of her loss of any pretension of sea power due to her defeat by Athens. This seems rather illogical, however, since states do not usually commemorate their defeat on their own coinage! On the contrary, this change almost certainly has to do with changes in religious ritual."

"The island of Aegina was probably the first state in European Greece to issue coined money (mid-sixth century BC). The Aeginetans were famed for their seamanship and were a considerable naval power in the Aegean area. Their didrachm-stater of about 12.6 grams became the accepted standard for numerous mints in the Cyclades, in Crete and in Asia Minor, as well as in Greece itself. In 445 BC, the Thirty Years Peace guaranteed Aegina's autonomy, and a new variant of the Aeginetan coinage was introduced. This depicted the turtle (now usually described as a tortoise) with a segmented carapace in place of the smooth shell of the archaic period. However, with the outbreak of Peloponnesian War in 431 BC, the Aeginetans were expelled from their homes and the island was occupied by Athenian cleruchs, a situation that prevailed until the Athenian defeat in 404 BC."

Let me know if you have any questions, and please post your turtles as well, especially the earlier sea turtles if you have them!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an excellent write-up to a spectacular design. That is one awesome pickup. Pale image indeed on the auction site which doesn't do the coin justice:

imageimage
  • Options
    My god what a beautiful coin

Thanks for sharing it and thanks for the write ups

I'm aware of this type especially more so seeing that we got a tortoise in December, I'll get one eventually but it won't be this nice image

love the toning!
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Aegina stater is one that has always been on the radar for me, but for some reason I haven't yet occasioned to own one.

Now the first pictures are awesome - but the perspective photographs are simply nothing short of fantastic. Obviously numismatics and artistry have had their lines broached with your wonderous piece.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    This is one of the best examples of this type that I have seen and the post-purchase photos are outstanding as well.

I cant wait to see hat other goodies you have picked up, hope you get a chance to post them soon.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Lovely, they really had some interesting designs back in the day.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mentioned the "didrachm-stater of about 12.6 grams" I can't help noticing that is very close to the US half dollar in size. I've often wondered why certain weights keep turning up for coins.

Copper minor coins , silver coins gold whatever. Is there some ergonomic reason to settle on a certain size or is it purely practical and then other countries copy the form?

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful example of a classic type. The electric blue and gold toning around the edges of the turtle really makes it "pop." No 3D glasses needed with this one!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

<< <i>You mentioned the "didrachm-stater of about 12.6 grams" I can't help noticing that is very close to the US half dollar in size. I've often wondered why certain weights keep turning up for coins.
    Copper minor coins , silver coins gold whatever. Is there some ergonomic reason to settle on a certain size or is it purely practical and then other countries copy the form? >>

Not only the weights, for instance the Athenian Tets come in about 28-30 grammes or so - approximately the weight of a silver dollar or an ounce. But also the design features continue - for instance heraldic eagles, gods like Mercury, Ceres etc even on modern coinage. Then you get into Roman emperors and politicians appearing on coins - sound familiar?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You mentioned the "didrachm-stater of about 12.6 grams" I can't help noticing that is very close to the US half dollar in size. I've often wondered why certain weights keep turning up for coins.
    Copper minor coins , silver coins gold whatever. Is there some ergonomic reason to settle on a certain size or is it purely practical and then other countries copy the form? >>

Not only the weights, for instance the Athenian Tets come in about 28-30 grammes or so - approximately the weight of a silver dollar or an ounce. But also the design features continue - for instance heraldic eagles, gods like Mercury, Ceres etc even on modern coinage. Then you get into Roman emperors and politicians appearing on coins - sound familiar? >>

Right , the measurement of a gram didn't exist way back then so perhaps coins of a certain heft just feel correct? Regardless of modern or ancient system of weights and measures or relative values of different metal.

There are a lot of 15 or 30 gram silver coin types half of something or a whole something .
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    >>

Stunning piece and excellent photography. I did not realize the relief was so pronounced.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is just too cool, in so many ways. Congratulations.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Right , the measurement of a gram didn't exist way back then so perhaps coins of a certain heft just feel correct? Regardless of modern or ancient system of weights and measures or relative values of different metal.

There are a lot of 15 or 30 gram silver coin types half of something or a whole something . >>

The stater and drachm were actually weights of measure, not specifically a denomination. Curiously in the present day peso and it's derivatives like piso etc are also a weight - look at any packaging that has Spanish language on it in your pantry and you will see "peso neto" - means net weight. But surely the measures of what was an established standard didn't vary much - even if the names and systems of measurement did.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just took one more perspective shot which shows just how thick it is:

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those perspective shots are great. They really put things in... well... perspective.

Wow, talk about mega high relief, eh?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Impossibly cool!!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing looking coin and great photos to show it off.

I love different designs and this is a great example. image
  • Options

<< <i>image

Those perspective shots are great. They really put things in... well... perspective.

Wow, talk about mega high relief, eh? >>

Agreed - it just makes you appreciate the artistry of the minter that much more - think of working on the die that deep and at those angles to achieve that result. Also think of the difficulty in striking up all the design features of the shell thoroughly - must have been easier with a lump of silver vs a flattened blank though.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    amazingly awesome!@!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just took one more perspective shot which shows just how thick it is:

image >>

You'd think that the turtle would start moving at night and bite your ear while you sleep. Keep it in a safe vault. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous! congrats!!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    oakcoinoakcoin Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Now that's high relief.
  • Options
    Yours is as nice and in my opinion nicer given the toning than the piece in the numismatic holdings at the National Museum of American History (Smithsonian), be proud
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=