Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Assume this 1878 Prussian 20 Mark is fake - Need confirmation

I am not a collector of foreign coins but know enough to usually identify them correctly. This one I'm guessing is a fake unless I am missing something. Dated 1878, and appears real but it is not made of gold. Am I missing something?

Pat

imageimage
<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fake to me. Strangely, William II (pictured on the coin) didn't come to power until 1888. There doesn't even exist a genuine coin of this type with his likeness from 1878 (link here). image

It is not unheard of to strike "trials" or "patterns" in copper, but I can't imagine why they would do this 10 years before William II even came to power.

In summary, my vote goes for "play money" or "fake".

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Can gold tone like that?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I am not familiar with this series at all, but it looks like some sort of reproduction/fantasy piece to me.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Token or counter that probably dates to the WWI era.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Wilhelm II was not even first in line for the throne in 1878. He was second in line after his father who died 1888.
    The coat of arms is also incorrect for 1878. They were thinner then. See the link previously given.
    And where is the mintmark?
  • Options
    this is a not good copy, even the letters look different, beside from the mistake about 10 years to early. Look a bit like copper?!

But, beside from this. That type of coin is one of the most counterfeit coin you can get in Germany!
    Even now, when you buy it at the bank for bulion price you can not be sure is real...

from 1959 - 1962 a smart doctor found a hole in the law about restike coins. In that period the made a large numer of the 20 Mark Gold coins, different types, they are looking exactly like the real ones. Many where sold and even today nobody can garanty is a real one or not.
    It was called the "Schmidt-Hausmann scandal"
    Anyway, the copy ones are exatly same gold content, weight, and design like the real one.
    collector from Germany
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Token or counter that probably dates to the WWI era. >>

This. Especially if the size/weight is reduced compared to the real thing.