Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about Swiss 20 Franc gold coin

I had posted this question in the World Coins forum but got no replies yet, so I figured I'd try it here...

I picked up a few Swiss 20 Franc gold coins today and I notice that one of them is a 1935-B (not L-B). From what I read, only 175k of these were minted. Does anyone know anything about this, what it might be worth, how often they come around, etc?

I searched the forums but couldn't find anything...but I am a newbie here so I might have missed something.

Thanks in advance!!

Successful BST: VPR, nederveit, RR, Littletweed

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember reading somewhere that many of these Swiss gold coins were minted using Nazi gold and were backdated to hide the source of this gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I hadn't heard that, but they did re-strike 1935 dates in 1945-47. But the restrikes are the L-B mark. This one is only B, meaning it was actually struck in 35.

Interesting idea about the Nazi thing though... it would make sense to date coins differently to hide the source of gold, but then why would they denote the restrike with the L mark...
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember reading somewhere that many of these Swiss gold coins were minted using Nazi gold and were backdated to hide the source of this gold. >>

This is correct, but I have never heard of any specific date and mint mark combinations being linked to it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a source of history on the Nazi gold coins?? Would be interesting to read.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Looking for articles on Swiss gold coins made from Nazi gold, I found this:

linky

The Nazis had 711 bags of U.S. $20 gold pieces, among other things.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Here is an interesting article:

linky
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Capt., interesting..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    The information I had when I read up on them was that not all the restrikes had the L on them. Thus, there are many out there that are indistinguishable from the original.
  • Options

<< <i>The information I had when I read up on them was that not all the restrikes had the L on them. Thus, there are many out there that are indistinguishable from the original. >>

Realllllllllly.... I had read the opposite. Do you recall where you found that?

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    Back to the valuation question, I suspect you will have a hard time finding someone who pay above bullion, even at 175k mintage.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Back to the valuation question, I suspect you will have a hard time finding someone who pay above bullion, even at 175k mintage. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Back to the valuation question, I suspect you will have a hard time finding someone who pay above bullion, even at 175k mintage. >>

image >>

Fair enough - oh well!

Thanks everyone for your time and replies!
  • Options
    You are quite welcome!