Home Metal Detecting
Options

Always wanted to try...

For some time now I've really wanted to get into metal detecting. I just think its so cool and the things you could find and the history behind those items is fantastic. I live in Minnesota. Hot humid but short summers and freezing cold usually snowy long winters...but I don't really know where l to go.. I have a few ideas but I don't want to limit myself either. I don't know what I should be looking for in a spot or area or even what equipment I should use. Any advice from those who know what they are doing would be very much appreciated!

Countless large & small dollar deals completed

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy yourself an entry level detector, such as a Garrett Ace 250. Learn to use it in your own yard. Once you develop some mastery of the machine, hunt in a local park if not illegal. If you don't find some quarters in the park, you can be fairly certain that someone else has detected it before you. After you get bored with parks, you'll probably want to do some historical research. Find out where old schools, fairgrounds, etc. were located and detect there. Any legal place that had significant human activity, preferably before 1964, is a potential place to hunt.
  • Options
    I really appreciate it! Its Jan. In MN so i definitely have time to do research and find some equipment. Im looking forward to this! Thanks again!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice from Bayard.... also log on to a couple of MD sites (some are good, some not so much - you will quickly see the difference) and see if there is an MD club in your area.... lots of fun in this hobby...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you...i really appreciate it! I collect US coins (Morgans, Type, Capped Bust, Mercs, etc) and think about how crazy it would be to find something! What a feeling it must be! I appreciate all the advice!